SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pyrmom_gw

Need (quick) help dec'g a boy's military-theme room

pyrmom
15 years ago

My 9yo ds is at camp this week. He was in tears when I left, since his so-called friend from here in town was being awfully mean to him. So, I'd like to redecorate to his room in hopes of surprising him when he returns on Friday.

I have four days. I have NO decorating ability. I desperately need help. :)

He loves anything related to the military. He's asked for a camo-painted room, but I can't see doing that. Instead, I thought perhaps dividing the room in half, with the upper half painted a camo-colored tan, and the lower-half a camo-colored green, would work. Although he's a devotee of anything related to WWII, I don't think he'd necessarily want something that is specifically WWII-related. He also likes tanks. ;)

A few things: his room is rather rectangular (about 12'x16' - that's a guesstimate), and has two windows (a small one approx 15" high by about 30" wide) and a more normal-sized window. He currently has a full-sized bed, plus a chest of drawers, and the largest brown/black Ikea Expedit (lots of books). Our walls are textured, and the corners are rounded. The room is carpeted, and I'm not sure we're ready to replace the carpet, since we might prefer to put in wood/laminate ILO carpet down the road.

I'd love to find a military net to cover part of the wall. And the BIG project, which is likely not possible this week, is that my son wants a platform/faux second floor (wall-to-wall) above his bed. That's because we've been talking about doing that very thing in my daughters' room, since they want a 'barn' room and a 'loft' makes a lot of sense there (plus, the extra bit of space would probably help).

I do not have an unlimited budget, but I could stage things, of course. I'd really like to have enough done so that he can see some progress.

I am totally and thoroughly helpless with home decorating; I'm sure that I need extensive help throughout my house, but for now, I just want to focus on my son's room.

Any ideas, especially those that can be implemented quickly?

I'm in California, but in the mountains - closest cities are Palmdale and Bakersfield (yes, pitiful resources, but it is what it is). Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)