SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashleymking

white cabinets with dark trim?

ashleymking
13 years ago

I'm in the process of finalizing my design decisions for a complete kitchen overhaul, and I'm really torn on the color I should choose for my cabinets.

Background: Our house is a 1930 brick tudor with original very dark stained, cherry wood trim throughout the main living areas (living room & dinning room) on the main floor. The kitchen and the bedrooms have painted trim--it's currently a cream, but I'm planning to change it to a more crisp white.

Here's the dilemma:

We're planning on knocking out the wall between the dinning room and kitchen to make the space feel larger. I'd prefer to do crisp white cabinetry and a carrera mable look-alike granite. However, I'm concerned that the stark white will be too much of a contrast to the dark wood trim in the adjoining dinning room. Is this going to look ridiculous? I've tried finding design images that show a similar look, but I haven't found antything--this concerned me even more.

If it's too much of a contrast, I've picked out a cream color for cabinets, but then that leaves me stumped for the countertops. I don't like the look of cream cabinets and white-ish granite. I'm also willing to consider painting the remaining trim white, but I worry this will affect our resale value as our house is in our neighborhood that prides itself on the historic integrity of the homes.

What do you think? Will I be making a mistake if I go with the true white cabinets? Will the design between the two rooms flow? Is there anything I can do to enhance this? (i.e. I thought about buying a dinning room rug with light colors and a lot of white in it)

Comments (2)