SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tootuscan

Updating garish tuscan style. Ideas please!

tootuscan
9 years ago

Ive just bought a house, furniture and all, that is way overdone tuscan. I know ill be limited by all the stone and iron, but can anyone give me leads on some designers or sites that might be helpful in transforming a Tuscan monstrosity into something more tasteful? I know lots of high end homes were built like this 10 years ago, surely there must be lots of people trying to back away form this look.
A sample of what I'm dealing with

Comments (86)

• chispa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

tootuscan, all the wood/trim in a room doesn't have to be an exact match. The beams in my house are much darker than my floors and cabinets. My trim is white.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Paint color to consider ......

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Alabaster OC-129

• Related Discussions

Garish/Commitment: last look before removal.

Q

Comments (29)
    I think there is some nostalgia going on concerning changes in entertaining styles over the years. When i describe to my DH the types of entertaining my parents did, it is quite different than what went on in his family growing up. Yet we grew up about 3 miles from each other and my parents are only about three years older than his and were roughly on the same socio-economic level. In my parent's circle, whether entertaining in our own home or going to someone else's, it meant getting dressed up in your "Sunday clothes", eating on fine china, and the parents enjoying cocktails or coffee (often poured from a silver set). The hostess went to extra effort with a fine meal. And nobody had a housekeeper or other servant and nothing was catered. None of the mom's worked outside the home although a couple did go to work once the kid's were in high school or after graduation. In my husband's childhood home, guests simply joined at the table which was the type of meals served any other night of the week, on the everyday china, and nothing special was done just because there were a few extra people for dinner. These differences are still reflected in what goes on in our lives today. Gatherings at our home and my sibling's home are typical of how my mom entertained; gatherings at his sibling's home are very similar to how his parents entertained. Quite frankly, I like both styles of entertaining. There are times when it's fun to go to the effort in menu selection and other elements of entertaining to create a special night for your guests. And there are times when it's fun to sit around with a box of pizza and beer. We do both styles of entertaining because I don't have the time or energy (maybe it's mainly the energy) to always entertain the way I was brought up. While I enjoy doing it, I also work. My mom didn't. It does make a difference. Especially because all of our friends are working couples, not working husbands and SAHMs, and their work schedules aren't all 8-5 jobs so simply scheduling a dinner party can be a logistical nightmare. palimpsest, I love the glimpse into your childhood home. I'm sure this is a bitter time for you to see it disappear.
    ...See More

Need help with exterior style and color updates please!

Q

Comments (2)
    Do you like a front patio I would not . IMO a new garage door in wood with windows , I like grayed / greens with brick this is one of my faves for color anew front door to match the siding and you could do something like the garage door in the pic I love a walkway from the street to the front door and in your case it would be awesome through those trees . Then a new landscape plan and I would not do a front patio and my bet not HOA approved either
    ...See More

Updating Tuscan kitchen

Q

Comments (9)
    Not what you asked, but how do you stand at the sink when the dishwasher door is open? And can you even open the dishwasher door all the way even when not standing at the sink? I would not spend any money at all at this time. Save your money for when you can do a full renovation. I think you’ll find the current layout to be problematic, and it won’t be any longer a matter of getting away from the Tuscan look. You’ll want to redo it entirely. Don’t even spend $500 on it as that money should instead go toward a future entire re-do.
    ...See More

any ideas on how to update the style of the roof.

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi E Ktz. You asked why folks are saying no to the 2 roof materials. Personally I think it looks cool on some houses, but may not look right on yours. In the inspo pic you posted today, the metal is really just an accent over the porch. That is usually how I see it when roof material is mixed. I’m your original post you said you were thinking of doing it over the garage, which is a huge amount. Literally one half of the house would be metal and the other shingles, it wouldn’t come together and read as one cohesive design but would look like 2 houses pieced together. Really the only place I could see it used as an accent would be over the windows above the garage, but I don’t know how much one would even notice it there.
    ...See More
  • teacats
    9 years ago

Another color tone to think about .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - Fieldstone 1558

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Must slipcovers be white to appear as beached whales? There is no such thing as hopsacking color which could be close to the color of your stones, and you could paint a color (not white) but lighter to blend with your fireplace.

I WOULD NOT remove the beams. I think you would come to regret that, perhaps in more ways than one.

I still think you could get ideas from some of the wonderful blogs on the net on ways to soften the coloration and not totally demolish your home or furnishings.

• teacats
    9 years ago

And yet another possible shade .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Coventry Gray HC-169

• teacats
    9 years ago

.... and of course .... fresh true white for walls and ceilings and trim and beams .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Ultra White CC-10

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Between Google and Pinterest, for for Tuscan Home Renovation, there are hundreds of pictures therein.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 17:18

• tootuscan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tea cats, that you for color suggestions - will test them all. Patricia 43, please suggest any blogs that you might be thinking of. I did see this , which makes me think the white slipcovers could work after all. Also it gives me hope that some of the grotesque iron work could be downplayed.

• tootuscan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patricia43, when I have googled tuscan home renovation, or tuscan rehab, or tuscan update, or dated tuscan or terrible tuscan, I find people that are converting their houses to tuscan, not away from tuscan!
    I'd appreciate all site suggestions!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

no wax, tootuscan, sorry I can't help with that. My walls were replastered with a smooth hand.

• User
    9 years ago

The upholstered pieces as they are now already look like foreboding sea creatures, I think white--- or slightly off white--- whales would be an improvement :-)

If you change the hanging lighting to something less Mediterranean and paint everything lighter and slip the furniture (all of it in the same color) you may then get an idea of what to do with the kitchen.

And unless you have a lot of time and are a very experienced renovator, I would call a designer in to give you a solid direction and plan you can then implement yourself. If you do this job in a piecemeal fashion it may always look like an amateur reno.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 22:18

• tootuscan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So you agree with a prior comment- slipcovers might be a whale, but now it's a walrus!
    I can't replace all the lights, this is just a small part of a very big house and that would be just too many fixtures. That's the problem- how to work with these fixed elements. The exception is the beams, those I can't stand and have to paint stain or remove.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Here ya go...just add color and stuff. You have a great house! Windows are a bit wingy but you get the idea.

DECO MISSION?

edited to add drapes and rug

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 10:11

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I think paint and elimination of the items mentioned is a very good start.

I don't understand why slip covers have to be white, as mentioned above. Do they not have fabrics any longer in colors such as hopsacking, linen or stone?

Just the things that have been mentioned like bringing down and downplaying wall colors, removing the overtop draperies, painting the walls.

http://markdsikes.com/2013/12/01/more-givenchy-style/

http://markdsikes.com/2011/11/27/givenchy-style/. See the large white sofa which appears slipcovered. These spaces are large and deliberate but have been redesigned to give them a more European and not such a stoic Tuscany look.

http://theartoftheroom.com/blog/

Look through these spaces and when you find something that you "feel," copy it, save all these ideas to a folder before you approach a designer about what you want. Just get ideas from what you see. Nothing can be totally copied into your home but it can be used in a way that can transform your house to a home that you can enjoy. It is probably going to take a lot of work just going through pictures finding what you want, but isn't it worth it?
    http://peekingthruthesunflowers.blogspot.com/

cotedetexas.blogspot.com

I googled pictures of renovations of a more modern and updated look from what you have. Your look is very overdone which you know that and that is what you are trying to redo.

http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=50

For older posts (if you don't find something on cotedetexas, scroll down and look on the right side for her older posts. There are a bazillion of high-end homes with European looks.

http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2014-05-31T03:09:00-05:00&max-results=1&start=1&by-date=false

If you wish to work with renovation, meaning changing structural items, you need an interior designer who, as stated, has a degree from a school of architecture and who works with redesign of existing structures, unlike an architect who designs new structures and cities.

I listed 2-3 days of cotedetexas blog but she has been blogging for 7 years and she has a lot of spaces to look through. Much of hers is French and some Italian but you can work with the Tuscany look you have down to a French look if it is done properly. You just need to do a lot of searching.

If you do not find anything on CotedeTexas blog,

http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2014-06-03T01:47:00-05:00&max-results=1

This is not going to be a quick fix but I think you knew that when you asked.

Keep googling. Most of those Tuscany renovations you saw were not as overdone as yours, so just keep looking at those. Many are probably at the ;point you want to be. If you try too hard to change this, you might as well sell the house and buy something else. Cosmetic works seem your best bet. I would not go into structural stuff like removing the beams and changing walls. I would first of all remove draperies and look at the pictures on some of these blogs. There are hundreds out there. Decide what direction you want to go. Make decisions about paint and about the upholstery or purchase of a new sofa. Paint, sofa and window treatments will make major changes for now. When you see how that looks, then ease into what you wish to do.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=2&ce_col=OW

Off-white colors from Benjamin Moore

www.houzz.com offers 137,000-plus Tuscany home pictures, most of which are not as "garish" as what you describe, and one of my particular favorites showed a sofa like yours minus the fringe, one slipcovered (oh, yes, in white), one with the wrought iron intact and sage color used in the room. Just a multitude of ideas but it gives me much to look for/at, when I am unable to sleep secondary to muscle spasms. So, thanks for the project.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/4173700/list/MODERN-TUSCAN-HOME-RENOVATION

Lots of ideas here from "garish" to clean and updated.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the picture you posted at 17:56, and agree that there are a lot of inspiration pictures at Cote de Texas. Also, look for Provence style.

I actually like the beams, especially if they are part of a lighter and brighter overall scheme.

It'll never be contemporary and streamlined, but it can look great with a mixture of rustic and cleaner lines.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mastro-residence-beach-style-dining-room-orange-county-phvw-vp~2094991)

[Beach Style Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2110) by San Clemente Architects & Designers James Glover Residential & Interior Design

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mastro-residence-beach-style-living-room-orange-county-phvw-vp~2095009)

[Beach Style Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2110) by San Clemente Architects & Designers James Glover Residential & Interior Design

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-bedroom-beach-style-bedroom-seattle-phvw-vp~1526019)

[Beach Style Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2110) by Woodinville Architects & Designers eric gedney : ARCHITECT

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/oakley-home-builder-contemporary-living-room-chicago-phvw-vp~406197)

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Downers Grove Design-Build Firms Oakley Home Builders
    And, yes, I'd probably look into more linen or stone/gray slipcovers.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 17:05

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I think it just needs a LOT of tweaking and it will be fabulous.

I think that I would use California Mission Style as my goal.

Take a look at the Parent Trap movie and the blog Cote de Texas for inspiration. And dare I say it? Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. Also Sunset Magazine.

Essentially, it is fine to have ornate things, just not layers and layers of them. Right now, the eye is bombarded in a way that is too overstimulating.

Specific things to do:
    Get the Red and Gold out of the accessories as much as possible. Re-mat pictures to a linen color. Got a red lampshade? Paint it or change it out. Got a red rug? If it is a nice rug, turn it over and show the "needle point" side, or layer a sisal on top. Eliminate the extra fussiness, like the fringe on the sofa, the 8 or 9 pillows that are all different but in the same color way, the

Candles, vases, pillows, art, lamps, Start There. The drapes, while they look quite expensive, are very dominant. I would take them down and see if that changes the focus on the room from dark fabrics, to the natural view and open-lightness.

And as what to add, I think that scale will be difficult in this space due to the heights and curves. I would remove as much as you are willing, and then take a fresh look before adding in anything.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

A primer on painting over the waxed walls.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8047451_wax-paint.html

• awm03
    9 years ago

Yes, yes, yes to juliekcmo's suggestion to go California Mission style. It would be a logical segue for this house, from tacky Tuscan to the spare elegance of California Mission. Not that the house itself is tacky -- there are so many beautiful features to work with -- but there are a lot of disposable accessories that are choking the look, and the current colors are heavy looking. Please have a look at the link below to get an idea of California Mission. It is a graceful style that works with your home's architecture and with iron, wood, & stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maraya Interior Design

• awm03
    9 years ago

Another link from the same designer. Wagon wheel in the stairwell -- and lots of iron too!

This is gorgeous:

Here is a link that might be useful: Maraya -- Santa Barbara home

• User
    9 years ago

I am not going to beat around the bush, it is very easy to google your images and find the listing for the house. Seeing how big the house is and how extensive the ornate fixtures are, you will need to spend a lot of money for any major change.
    California Mission style would be a nice direction for your house, but this look would mean selling a lot of the current furnishings and some major money in fixes, even just having someone paint all of those waxed walls is going to take a good chunk of change. Really, in a house as large and expensive as yours it is a good idea to get a firm direction in which to head and then get professional help... meaning this house is way out of the league of an internet decorating forum, there is no easy fix that we can suggest and help implement on a whole house level that isn't going to look half-assed.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I like Anele's ideas. Work with what you've got, not against it.

For starters, I would paint, remove that rug, remove what iron pieces you can, etc. Before slipcovering, I would see if it is possible to remove the fringe and if so, try that and pillows in new colors. Remove the heavy window coverings.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I like Anele's ideas. Work with what you've got, not against it.

For starters, I would paint, remove that rug, remove what iron pieces you can, etc. Before slipcovering, I would see if it is possible to remove the fringe and if so, try that and pillows in new colors. Remove the heavy window coverings.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I think athomeinva at 9:14 is right, and wise. It could become overwhelming!

I don't think it's garish at all, just overdone, and there are lots of lovely things about it too.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

My friend said to me: if you try to fight that house, it will win. You bring up just what I'm afraid of. The house is fully developed in one theme

There's the the theme "decor" - the colors and the materials and shapes - and there's the underlying style of the house.

The house style is generic "rustic" contemporary. Iron, stone, exposed wood ... quite flexible.

The colors are "muddy" muted browns and greens. The materials are heavy and fringed and ornate. That's the "tuscan" theme.

Here's how to exorcise the Tuscan demons: Use lighter or cleaner color on furniture and window coverings (pale sheers or shiny thin silk on those rods would look nice), white frosted glass shades on light fixtures instead of the yellowish glass. Add some clean, intense accent colors.

Paler or cleaner light colors on the walls ... if it's true waxed Venetian plaster, you might have to pick your battles on repainting. You have to scrub off the wax, then sand, then repaint.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Tell me more- what shade of white should I paint that would tie in with the fireplace.

Pick one of the light colors from the travertine floor, or a shade that is a couple lighter than the fireplace. You'll have to get a bunch of chips and tape them on various stones to get in the ballpark. A tapue-cream or maybe extremely pale gray.

With the wrought iron fixtures, don't be afraid to paint them if you think a light color or a bright color would work. Unlike wood, they are easy to strip back to the metal. Also, see of some of the ornateness can be removed, if it's too gaudy. Typically these fixtures have a frame that supports the lights, and then varying amounts of decorative elements are bolted or welded on ... unbolt bits or use a hacksaw and metal-cutting blade to remove tawdry gew-gaws that offend you, then file it smooth.

• suero
    9 years ago

Look at Diane Burn's decorating style. Her favorite wall color appears to be similar to yours, but the net effect of the rooms are much lighter than yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diane Burn

• violetwest
    9 years ago

very interesting design dilemma. I so hate the faux "Tuscans R Us" packaged themes which are so ubiquitous. I think everyone has the right idea -- work with the style of the house, and try to lighten/fresh up.

BTW, the original Parent Trap had one of my time favorite homes - the mid-century ranch inhabited by Brian Keith as the dad.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I agree with athomeinva
    >>From what I can see, this house is an example of fairly cohesive design

It looks that way to me, inside and out. In order to really have it turn out well, and at that price point I'd enlist the help of an expert. Don't get me wrong, there are some basic things that can be done but to pull off a whole-house redecoration is a much bigger challenge.

>>Patricia43, when I have googled tuscan home renovation, or tuscan rehab, or tuscan update, or dated tuscan or terrible tuscan, I find people that are converting their houses to tuscan, not away from tuscan!
    I'd appreciate all site suggestions!

Try using search tools to show only results from the last year or two. That should eliminate all of the hits from the last decade and give you much better results.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

The house needs color - bring in the ocean colors (fabulous view!!) - blues, greens, sand. Mission tile on the stairs is a a great suggestion - pull colors from there. Warm up the place. Curtains need to come down and leave bare everywhere you can. Sell or donate (tax write off) the rugs and buy some with color and/or texture. Painting the walls a lighter color would be a great start, even with texture on the walls. Move around or donate things like plants and all the pottery in foyer. The house has a lot of brown/tan furniture (upholstery and case goods). Lighten it up by changing it out or having pieces painted. Bring in antique/vintage furniture, accessories, fabrics and artwork to give the house character and make it your own.

We have dark floors, beams, windows and trim with Sherwin Williams Moderate White. It photographs much whiter than it is in real life. Here's a photo that's about spot on with the color. Have since added Belgian Linen curtains due to sun during winter afternoon/sunsetting:

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

FIrst--find out if the walls are waxed. Lazygardens and others have warned of the expense of what is needed to paint over wax. There is no point in continually advising the OP to paint the walls if that is not really feasible. And the existing wall colors are pretty neutral on my computer.
    Second--remove as many of the decorative objects as you can. Move on to drapes and rugs. Then see how it looks.
    Third--schedule a consultation with a designer to help you continue.

Good luck, the view is lovely, and so is the house!

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

The house is big and all in that faux decorating mode. I would find a designer so you have an overarching plan for the whole house. Even if you don't do it all at once, you will have a direction.
    The views are gorgeous and the house will be too.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Well,
    I don't think you necessarily need to engage a decorator or designer if you feel up to the task yourself. Just because the home is larger, doesn't mean it is beyond your efforts if you are inclined to doing it yourself.

But I do think that analysis of what is the house per se, and then what is the layer of decor is what should be done first.

Then eliminate the decor you don't want. You have gotten a lot of suggestions here regarding that.

Then add in what you would like instead.

The good news is that removing things is usually free, and can be un-done if you change your mind.

After you remove what isn't working for you (probably all nick nacks, pictures, plants, and drapes.) Then take new pictures and look at them for evaluation of what the space needs to work for you.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

This seems like a project you should take very slowly. Delete one item at a time. You can do a couple of things, like removing the curtains and painting (might have to call in a pro but I think you can use chalk paint over wax), that will have a dramatic effect. Also, I would really consider removing the more ornate, over-the-top Tuscan light fixtures. Maybe just do a room at a time and choose fixtures with just a hint of Tuscan but with cleaner lines so that they will coordinate with the existing fixtures. Good luck!

Here's a mock-up:

• patricianat
    9 years ago

About waxed walls and the expense: If the OP has purchased this house and did not take into consideration the price of painting, then something is needed besides decorating help.

There is a recipe for painting over waxed walls above and paint is the very least expensive item that will make the most difference. We all have to paint from time to time.

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I do not have such a large and expensive home to paint but had I bought one, I suppose I could afford to paint the interior. Goodness me.

• tootuscan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for so many good ideas. I will be going through the suggested websites and have already seem some realistic models. Patricia43 thank you for so many good leads. what a great idea to google search only in the last year or two to eliminate all the early tuscan -trend homes, I never would have though of that. it really works.

I'm not sure that just because the house is big and expensive that it is fundamentally different than other projects I've seen on these boards. I'm not sending a man to the moon. In the end, it's just a sofa, chairs and a sectional. I'm limited by the floor, fireplace,fixtures- as in any house. Whether or not I work on it myself, I need to have a concept I can express, that I'm aiming for. Now I have a method to move towards that concept. Start with paint, streamline and see what is really a fixed part of the house itself, not just fringe. Get rid of what is universally classified as bad ( curtains, fringe, wall color and wagon wheel).

And while I may, in the end, hire a designer, you can be sure that that would be after I closely look at all of those sconces with a screwdriver and a sawz-all in hand (thank you lazy gardens for that tip,) I may even present my daughter with a file and a hacksaw for her graduation present this weekend!

And chalk paint over wax. If that works....amazing!!!! That alone is an example of the collective knowledge of this board. I am going to start by removing the curtains and painting. Using the undertones in the stone as a guide. Then I will come back here... Until then I'll periodically check if anyone has an idea or a photo to share. Let's see how it goes!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Good luck!
    Please let us know how you proceed with the painting.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Stay away from chalk paint on the walls.
    The best thing to do is contact a Venetian Plaster Master in your area.
    It all depends on the type of plaster and the way it was applied ,
    how it was burnished and sealed .
    A Master Plaster dealing with the venetian style can give you the reality of it all.
    The next time you're at the house remove the window coverings and let us have a look-see.
    I'm guessing that that alone will make a grand difference.

You have a beautiful home and I agree "views,views,views".

• patricianat
    9 years ago

forboystoo, I don't think this recipe is for chalk paint.
    Instructions
    1 Apply degreaser over the wax on the surface. Apply a thick layer using an old rag. Allow the degreaser to set for five to 10 minutes.

Scrub wax off the surface using a scrub brush. Choose a plastic-bristle brush, as a metal wire brush may damage the surface. Work up and down, side to side, and in a circular motion to penetrate the wax from all directions.

Sand the surface with 80-grit sandpaper once the degreaser is dry. Remove any remaining wax from the surface. Wipe the surface clean with a damp rag.

Prime over the surface with a wall primer that is able to cover waxed surfaces. Use brands such as Kilz and Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3, which claim to cover small amounts of wax left on surfaces. Apply an even coating of primer over the entire surface using a paint roller. Allow primer to dry for two hours and apply a second coating.

Paint over the surface with wall paint. Roll an even layer of paint over the entire surface using a paint roller. Avoid leaving excess paint on the wall, as it can cause runs. Allow paint to dry for one to two hours and apply a second coat if necessary.

Related Searches
    References

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_8047451_wax-paint.html#ixzz34IwUqzzG

The only reference to the chalk paint was to the website of a lady who sells chalk paint for furniture, not for walls, and she has painted houses, not with chalk paints, but with regular latex paint to give them a new look. Sorry if I confused you. I do that often.

• Cook4
    9 years ago

I don't really have anything to add but I'm looking forward to seeing your updated pictures!

I DO agree that simple steps, like removing the heavy window coverings and a change of accessories, can make a big difference. It amazes me that someone would cover those windows when you have such an awesome view! Unless they were consumed with wanting privacy?

I love the different ceiling treatments, but some form of whitewashing, paint, etc could easily tone down the stark contrast of light and dark with the ceiling and beams.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you do with the place!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

No Patricia ...That is the recipe for removing wax.
    I read your link....
    Using chalk paint was in reference to MagdalenaLee.(9:59)
    She posted right above you.
    Right below you Tootuscan then mentioned it in her last paragraph.(11:28)

Chalk paint,although it goes over wax,comes with it's own set of problems on walls ....like more wax !

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

First of all, love the windows! I agree that everything is a bit too overdone, too brown, and too faux-distressed. But I see good bones! I like the fireplace and the rich wood trim/cabinets and stone floors.

For me, the first thing to go would be those drapes and the drapery rods. From there I'd say the place needs some color. That much brown would make me depressed. I'd look at repainting something less brown/beige. I'd either replace the sofa or maybe see if the fringe could be removed. Call me crazy, but I don't mind the "wagon wheel" and rather of like the ceiling beams throughout. I think the problem is that the lighting is too "heavy" and intricate. I'd look to replace the lighting with something more sleek, but maybe still in the iron finish. I like a lot of the iron light fixtures from Restoration Hardware. They're not quite so heavy.

I love the suggestions for sort of a "beachy" look with linens, whites, etc. I think color would be great, but some soft, light furniture would also help lighten up the place. Depending on budget, your new home looks like a really fun decorating project!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

apologies, forboystoo. I love your name. I am a boy mom.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

OP, tootuscan, please go to her blog and see if there is any assistance she may be able to offer.

http://ahouseromance.blogspot.com/2013/07/chatting-with-leslie-sinclair-of.html

• deegw
    9 years ago

Do you have any furniture consignment stores in your area? We have one that sells custom drapes and bedding, accessories, art and furniture. Since you have so much, the store would probably pick up your unwanted things.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

You'd think so but I've visited a few and they were already filled to the top with early-mid 2000s tuscan stuff. I was told that a lot aren't taking any more of that style. Who knows, though. It probably depends a lot on the store and region. This was in the San Antonio-Austin area.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I was looking at rugs today and thought of you when I saw this beautiful “Danielle in Love erase motif) rug and thought I would share.

And here is some art for above your fireplace (sorry I love your home and my mind won't turn off).

P.S You may be able to leave the walls as is color and just concentrate on the ceiling .

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 14:02

• Locrian
    9 years ago

Hello TooTuscan. I keep thinking about your faux Tuscan pas dilemma. Everyone has given you fantastic insight and suggestions. Some quite clever.

My suggestions align with a more minimalist approach. Rent a DIY moving truck for a week. Box, pack, move everything that isn't bolted down or part of the architecture into the truck. Hardcore Editing HaHa.

This approach might just allow you enough breathing space in the house to actually see and feel what it has to offer. It might be able to speak to you with a different accent. Show you another side of itself that's hidden by the florid flush of affluenzia.

Arts & Crafts Movement, Craftsman Movement, or Mission Style might become surprisingly appropriate once the house is able to exhale.

Excited to see what direction you flow overall. Looking forward to progress pictures!