SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

looking for: one must have & one new dish for thanksgiving

san_
15 years ago

i was just reading barbara 48's question on the cooking forum, about what people are serving this thanksgiving--the list is impressive and really interesting/thought-inspiring! lots of wonderful things to consider there--almost overwhelming, actually. of course we have a "core menu" and often will try out 1 or 2 new dishes, just to see if there are changes that we should be looking at and i'm curious about what will make the grade at your house. could you please post 1 dish that your family MUST have or cause a revolt, and 1 dish that is either new for you and being trotted out for the first time, or, one that perhaps is a little out of the ordinary?

the new dish this year will be a fresh pumpkin pie, recipe courtesy of bubbe. maybe sort of standard to many of you but i don't bake and i've never grown and cooked pumpkin before. thanx to her, the filling has been cooked and pureed and seasoned and is sitting in the freezer, waiting for thursday. i'm really looking forward to trying it out!

a number of years ago, i tried a new way of seasoning a turkey and using the resultant drippings for the gravy. it got RAVE reviews on "epicurious" and i just thought it was greasy and not very tasty. i decided it was the turkey i didn't care for and tried the gravy recipe again (using plain roasted turkey drippings) a couple years later. i am REALLY looking forward to that carmelized onion and balsamic gravy again this year(recipe is linked below)!

and yes i know that taste is very subjective but for us, we've never found a stuffing recipe that we prefer to this:

Mom's turkey stuffing Âthe best!

sauté:

3 or 4 ribs of chopped celery with

1 large chopped onion in a little olive oil

add a bit of salt and pepper

meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together:

2 C cooked instant rice

1# bulk pork sausage (raw)

2-3 C crouton stuffing mix

1 tsp poultry seasoning or sage

(you can also add in 1/2 C of chopped pecans or 1/2 C chopped cranberries)

Stir the sautéed celery and onions into the above and loosely spoon it into the turkey and cook the turkey as recommended. if using this as dressing, bake in a covered casserole dish at 325 for 1 hour--the addition of 1/2 a can of beer or a little chicken stock in the baking dish is good.

Here is a link that might be useful: carmelized onion and balsamic gravy

Comments (11)