SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Decorative Ironwork: Which do you like best? (photos to choose)

User
15 years ago

We bought a house two years ago that has absolutely no exterior style whatsoever. There was a very ugly, small, inefficient gutter between the two front gables with a big, ugly downspout that was really the prominent feature of the house. After much angst and consultations with an architect, whose offer to redesign a $50k entrance I politiely declined, I came up with the solution of exchanging the small gutter for a 7 inch that could actually handle the water, getting rid of the downspout and just leaving holes in both endcaps so that water can flow out two places instead of one, and using decorative brackets to hold up the small projection so that it would actually look like an entrance.

We had shutters custom made in wider sizes for the windows, and now the final improvement is to install a decorative piece of iron to the fascia board at the back of the gutter. We're sort of trying to shoehorn the house into a recognizable style---not a clearly defined period, but more of an archetypal "Georgia" house. The brick is Virginia wood mold brick. I did these very crude drawings on a paintbrush program, trying to come up with a style to show the iron fabricator. I have been making sketches of decorative iron railings for about a year... please tell me what you think. Honest opinions only!

Comments (56)