SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

LOOKING for: common items and food pantry cooking

san_
15 years ago

our local food pantries are hoping for increased donations well beyond the holiday season--for the next several months at the very least. a friend and i were talking this morning and she said in her area, they were looking for more proteins, such as canned tuna and chicken. i suggested adding hard salami or pepperoni as they were shelf-stable until opnened but she was afraid such things might be looked at as not being very nutritious. yes--a pretty fair amount of fat and salt in those items but, couldn't the same be said of a box of mac & cheese? and if you are on a very restricted budget, how long before you are sick to death of that and tuna noodle casserole? so i'm asking for your help in thinking outside the box a bit while keeping things basic and simple. ultimately, i'd like to print out your ideas and recipes and include them with the next donation to our food pantry.

for instance, things like a main course salad of chick peas or cannelini beans and salami over chopped iceberg and a little oil and vinegar dressing might work. or, how about a soup based on plain old stock and tortellini and canned tomatoes and some pepperoni? would canned chicken work well in a white chicken chili sort of dish? some sort of a spicy peanut sauce for chicken over noodles? except for a tuna fish sandwich or a tuna noodle casserole, i have no idea of what to do with tuna but i'll bet you guys do! i'd really love to see your ideas and share them with our neighbors. TIA!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor