SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriaelizabeth_gw

Making your own cabinets? Or very DIY kitchens?

VictoriaElizabeth
11 years ago

TracieErin, if you read this-- I was reading a post where you mentioned you are DIYing your cabinets (and are now in year three... you have all my empathy.)

Wondering what advice anyone would give from the perspective you have now? After having done it/or still working on it?

Also, I’d be curious why you DIY’ed-- because your space is so unusual it all needs to be custom… or if you’re just crazy talented, or if because when you started, it didn’t seem like it would be too bad?

We are planning our kitchen remodel in an old Victorian house, and I have some ideas about replicating an antique-look for the cabinets…

Our entire house-renovation has been DIY, (and slow, and sometimes miserable) so I’m not even sure why I’m not thrilled at the idea of just buying some cabinets and being done with it. My husband kind of can’t believe I’m looking to complicate what is already a big project… although, he should know by now that is what I do best- complicate all projects.

I’ve been petitioning DH to consider making what I want, but he is resistant… he has the skills to figure it out, but it would be a learning curve… and he is concerned that it will be a mess/nightmare/never-ending project… (although he has plenty of clamps, which I think means he should try.)

Would you do it again?

Any resources you found indispensible??

I’m not looking for anything really unusual, design wise… (at least, it seems fairly straightforward to me,) but DH is concerned that it won’t be as polished as a manufactured product. I do see his point, but I still think it seems feasible…

I do think that part of this, (for me) is how hard it is to design a kitchen… you start out thinking everything must be “special.” And it’s taking me a while to get over that.

Anyway, this is kind of what I have in mind. Minus the fourteen foot ceilings.

Not an exact replica, but as inspiration of something I love…

And what we have now… an example of the world’s WORST kitchen. Our PO DIY’d the entire thing… he made everything custom, (and not matching at all) and originally that “island” (now jacked up with two-by-fours) was only three feet off the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our current kitchen (disaster)

Comments (27)