SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

RECIPE: Low fat apple muffins

lpinkmountain
18 years ago

I've been making these for a couple of months now and really enjoying them. I improvised the recipe from one I found online but was much higher in fat. You can mix and match ingredients to how low you want to go. They are a little less cakey than traditional, but great taste.

Lowfat Apple Muffins (makes 15 small)

4 egg whites or 1 egg and 2 egg whites

1/2 cup applesauce

1/4 cup canola oil

2/3 cup white sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2/3 cup chopped walnuts (or less, maybe 1/2 cup)

2 large granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced

2 cups flour (I use 1 1/2 cup white, 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. lemon peel

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/4-1/8 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla in a medium sized bowl. Combine flour and spices in another med. bowl, add nuts and apples to coat. Add wet ingredients to dry, stir until just combined.

Fill batter into paper cup lined muffin pans (or greased, which I am always too lazy to do) until about 3/4 full. Bake until golden brown and springy to the touch, about 25 minutes. Watch them towards the end. Don't overbake!

Note: The original recipe called for 3/4 cup oil, so I just use those little prepackaged plastic cups of applesauce and then add enough oil to the measuring cup to equal 3/4 cup. I can't keep a big can of applesauce around, I don't eat it fast enough and it goes bad on me. You an also use one or two small ripe bannanas in place of the applesauce if you have them lying around.

Comments (3)