SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lotsatrees

Carlisle walnut downstairs, what wood floor upstairs? (pictures)

lotsatrees
12 years ago

I've gained a lot from this community over the past couple of years and this is my first post. We're almost two years into our fixer upper remodel and just recently covered up the plywood subfloor downstairs with wide plank walnut. (Finally!)

I've been going back and forth over what floor to put upstairs and for several reasons will not be using the same Carlisle walnut. First is the cost. Second, I would like to use a lighter wood to brighten the narrow upstairs hall and bedrooms.

Right now I'm leaning towards using 3" and 5" #1 quartersawn white oak from Hurst with a tung oil finish. But I'm not sold on the idea of having such different floors. The other option is the 3" walnut from Hurst. It wouldn't exactly match the Carlisle floor, but at least it's the same species.

I almost feel like mixing woods works better when they're on the same level in adjacent rooms, so it appears as a design accent.

We're also thinking of putting wool carpet on the stairs, rather than wood treads which would involve more time in rebuilding each step, higher cost, and would then require an expensive runner. Our stairs aren't showcase stairs, they're somewhat private and tucked off, so I'm not too inclined to splurge here.

Would the QS oak, wool carpet, and walnut be too much?

I can't make a decision anymore. Any and all opinions are welcome!

Comments (12)