SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catfishsam

Thinking of taking house off the market

catfishsam
16 years ago

Our house has been on the market for about 6 weeks and there has only been 2 showings, which is a real disappointment. Our realitor hasn't even brought anyone over.

When we signed with the realitor, he indicated that there were a lot of people interested in Victorian homes, which is what we have.

Well, he obviously told us what we wanted to hear or the market dried up totally here in southern Colorado.

Our house has been freshly painted inside and outside and looks really nice. The yard is landscaped nicely with grass and flowers and large trees. And our price is reasonable for our area at $150,000.

But I think the real blame is that the market is dead right now.

This house is really too large for us and we don't even use the upstairs any more since at our age, it is hard going up and down stairs. We would prefer having a one level house. However, this house is so large that there is plenty of room to live downstairs.

The nice thing is that we don't have to sell.

It is a real pain to keep the house ready to sell since we have to keep it perfectly clean, the lawn mowed constanlty, and keeping everything ready for a showing.

Also it seems like we are in limbo all the time and can't make any long term plans.

So we are considering just pulling our house off the market. If the market improves, then we may put it back on in the future?

Front of house

{{gwi:2048814}}

Back of house

{{gwi:2048815}}

Comments (46)

• beachmamaproperties
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful home, but why the fence in the front yard? Is the neighborhood iffy safety wise. The price seems wonderful for that home.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Coming out of a selling boom where houses sold in a day, I can why 6 weeks seems like an eternity. But prior to the boom, people generally had their houses on the market for a few months and just waited for the right buyer to come along.

I would suggest giving yourself a break from having the house in perfect condition. A serious buyer is not going to refuse to buy your house because it is untidy or the lawn is a bit overgrown.

Go on with your life, make some plans, maybe go off on vacation or something like that. But keep the house on the market, at least for a while.

How long is your contract for with the listing agent?

• Related Discussions

Is Your Home a Take off your Shoes Before Entering Home?

Q

Comments (80)
    No, but I once had a party where the guests (by their own design) removed their shoes. The following day I had several callers saying their feet had swollen from something they consumed at my party while a few others called to say that something they ate had caused their feet to shrink. We had a helluva time getting everybody's shoes back to their rightful owners. Whew! And I thought (for one small moment) I was going to be sued, for one small moment, for the dips and chips that had caused edema to occur bordering on kidney or heart failure. Just that everyone mixed up shoes if they were same or similar shoes in color, style, etc. It was the sangria, no doubt. Oh, yeah as a PS, all the women had their rightful shoes; it was the men; the men; the men who had picked the wrong shoes. Wouldn't ya just know.
    ...See More

We got an offer on our home after it was taken off the market.

Q

Comments (6)
    Typically, a listing agreement has a period of time after expiration where you would owe commission ONLY IF the potential buyer had viewed the home BEFORE the listing expired. If you find a buyer on your own now, you won't owe commission. However, you need to be sure they didn't attend one of the open houses etc or have a private showing. Your former agent has access to all the sales data from the MLS, so they will be able to check up on you to make sure you are honoring the contract. If your buyer is really "new" to the property, you don't need to involve the agents. Even if your state has a "standard" contract, you should still have a RE lawyer represent your interests. It will only be a couple hundred bucks and will protect your biggest asset. As to how to proceed, ask the potential buyer to submit a formal written offer. That will let you know pretty quickly who you are dealing with.
    ...See More

Should we take our house off the market this fall?

Q

Comments (15)
    One house up the street from me was listed with one REA for 6 months and did not sell. A couple of days ago, a new REA put up signs that say "Just Listed" And oddly enough, they didn't reduce the price. As buyers, we didn't give a hoot about how long the house was on the market until we chose the house we wanted. Then we used the DOM to help figure our offer. After a little negotiating, we found the point of overlap between what we were willing to pay and what the seller was willing to accept. I wouldn't take the house off the market either. Like it was already mentioned, you can't sell a house that isn't for sale. Well, unless you are our neighbors. We got them a buyer after they took their house off the market because our friend was relocating to the area. I wouldn't count on that happening though!
    ...See More

Venting...open house and agent....

Q

Comments (21)
    Patty, I'm sure you know I've learned a bit in the last few weeks of doing research since our contract was about to expire (it did last week). I don't want to write a lot on a public board, especially after what happened to the other poster yesterday. If you want to know more of what I've been (similar to you) through, I will share in an email... IMO, catfishsam is a little different. If you do a search for the posts, they were listed as victorian and the house was not. You posted to her post about the fenced in yard, the front was fenced with a wood privacy fence. The post Thinking of taking house off the market - is here. The pictures are gone but if you reread what you wrote, it will refresh your memory. Roselvr, YOU ARE A SWEETIE. Thank you so much for every single one of your suggestions! I haven't checked any of the other listings, so didn't know about the higher price coming up~that's very 'enlightening', to say the least, and could kill my sale. When it was first listed, I saw the listing on the KW site. However I tried to find it last night and nothing came up~what the he** is going on? I haven't signed up to watch~didn't realize that was an option. Will do that, too. You're very welcome! I ended up doing a bit more looking after I posted and was going to post but I figured I'd wait till we got back. It was one of those days where I couldn't shake my meds after waking up, so looking at this stuff was perfect for this morning. At Remax (http://rbranchandbeach1.california.remax.com) if I searched using $375 - $400, your place did not come up. It was only when I used the $400 to $450 that it did. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed. Why use "value pricing" if it isn't showing up for the lower amount catching those buyers? What I would do is send an email with all of your concerns and tell him he has 48 hours to fix them or you are going to consider breaking contract. There is nothing I dislike more then to be ignored by an agent once they have my business. If he was ignoring my phone calls, he would get either (or both) a phone call or an email with me asking how he planned to present offers to you if he isn't accessible during the weekend. Tell him that this is a major concern of yours, that you are afraid it may lose a sale. The longer you wait, the worst that the market can get. Since you are able to break contract, do so. I have no thoughts on the man vs. woman agent. I really feel that it is the individual agent that I have to click with. Things they say to me are weighed, then I decide. Find out about the commission. From what I am hearing from agents I interviewed the other day, 6% is better and may make a difference on whether the house gets shown. Ours was also 5%, but in our case, I really feel that we have to go local because the inventory is high, they don't have to go out of the office for listings to show. We'll see. Dabunch, boycotted~you hit the nail on the head cause that's exactly how I feel. If I am right, the reason you are being boycotted is because your house is not listed properly. This is due to the lower pricing not being searchable and the fact that you are not on his personal / company web site. This is a biggie; be sure to address this now, with 48 hours to fix this. I haven't signed up to watch~didn't realize that was an option. You know how I am always saying to sign up on all of the major sites using your house info as the search options like you were buying? This is what you need to do. Go to Remax, Century 21, Keller Williams, Weichert and any of the magazine sites - if you have a real estate book from the super market, they should have a site. Yahoo has a real estate site as does MSN. Be sure you break the search info down into 2 different ones - one to watch the lower price you have and another for the higher. You'd use say the numbers I listed up top. I know it is a lot of work, but you need to do this before he fixes everything so you can see if it comes as an email update. Sorry for the book.... I didn't write it all at once lol
    ...See More
  • quip
    16 years ago

The privacy fence across the front visually detracts from the house. It seems you are hiding the home, though you may have a pretty porch back there. Do you really feel you need a fence to separate you from the street? Could you have the front sections removed, perhaps replacing them with a lower picket fence?

• marys1000
    16 years ago

I agree about the front fence visually detracting from the home though I too also love privacy. Tough one.
    I get the feeling that maybe the road is busy? That would be a detraction for me, fence or not.

This brings up something I hear about ocassionally but have never heard of working very well. I think they are called "pocket listings". I.e. you say, "fine, we'll stay put for a couple of years till the market rebound" and take the house off the market. But actually you are still willing to sell.
    There is a way, at least theoretically, to keep word out there with realtors that if someone was looking for something like your house specifically, they would search the "pocket" listings to see what was out there if there was nothing in the MLS. I'm not sure why its not done more, it seems like it would espescially benefit an ageing generation who know that they want to sell at some point soon but don't have a hard date.

• mariend
    16 years ago

Maybe replace the fence with a smaller one, painted white. 6 weeks is nothing, I went over 2 years and 3 Realtors. If she is not bringing anyone by, ask why not or ask her broker.Be more aggressive with her. How are they advertising it? How is the neighborhood--young families, or ??? Maybe is could be advertised as a starter home. Some people cannot do stairs How big are the rooms? Are they close so the small children would be near their parents? How many baths?

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I think the back looks really nice. However the front looks like it is the back because of the fence. I could see if people saw the listings and that picture they may choose not to go and see it. There is no curb appeal.

Any chance of cutting the fence down to half height? With maybe the posts around the gate taller with an arbor type look, but gate same height as the fence.

The fence immediately brings to mind busy road or bad neighborhood. Could be why nobody even comes and looks.

Your time on the market doesn't seem too bad. Since you don't have to sell why not keep it on the market, but relax some on your housekeeping and make whatever plans you want. Ie no need to bend over backwards, but could keep it on the market.

• sparksals
    16 years ago

I agree about the front fence. It's very distracting and takes away from the beauty of your home. I think the suggestion to cut it in half or remove it entirely and put white picket up with an arbour at the walkway is a great idea! If you do this, paint it white!

Can you provide a link to your listing? We will be able to look at the photos and give you some pointers on how to fix up the inside. Maybe the listing photos are poor quality. Maybe your listing agent hasn't actively marketed the home. Maybe it's overpriced.

Victorian homes are a niche market. Some people love them, some dislike, so it takes a certain buyer to appreciate this type of house.

What is the neighbourhood like? Is it a busy street? The fence around the front gives that impression.

If you are comfortable, please post your listing and we will give you honest feedback.

I also agree with the others that 6 weeks is nothing, although 2 showings in that timeframe is a cause for concern. By providing the listing, we can give our feedback as to why.

Don't pressure yourself to keep the house show ready. As long as the house is tidy, people will be able to see beyond that.

My only other question - is the interior cluttered? Does it need work?

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

In my area, you wouldn't be allowed to have a fully fenced yard like that, it has to start at the back of the house if it is that tall. I think you are allowed up to 4ft to the house front but not to the street. I think it's a good general rule, because the fencing here seems to be "killing" you.

As others have said, there is no curb appeal with the fence, and these days, unless the house is being "given away" you need curb appeal to get them in.

I wouldn't cut the fence, I would take the front section out, then midway at the side would put a shorter fence

• catfishsam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are probably right about the front fense. However, it gives us a lot of privacy and keeps the noise level down. This is a fairly busy street we live on.

So we just aren't interested in lowering the fense.

Here is a picture of the front yard.

{{gwi:210094}}

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

"So we just aren't interested in lowering the fense."

Even if that will bring in buyers???

I agree with the others - moreso now that I have seen the yard.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I'm with western_pa_luann. However, the busy road may be de-tracting from the property anyways and the fence doesn't really help that with the way it currently looks. At least if it looked nice from the street somebody would be drawn in.

Though with the fence leaning as it is I also think it is a bit of an eyesore or looks like it needs some maintenance at least.

• akkw
    16 years ago

I love old houses, Victorians in particular, but I would not even view this one. You can't see the house! Plus the front yard has too much stuff for me. What an awesome front porch, but there is too much plantings and waterfall stuff and you can't even see anything from sitting on the front porch except the privacy fence! Victorian house porches should feel open and inviting but this one feels like a cage. Sorry, but you did ask.

If you want to sell the house take the fence down. You might not want to take it down for your own reasons, but your own preferences don't matter now that you're trying to appeal to buyers. If this were my house I'd take the fence completely down, open up the front yard by getting rid of brick and water stuff and Plants, and play up that nice porch.

• houtx
    16 years ago

The porch appears to subsiding. Notice the large crack in the middle. Does the sloping porch have any effect on the porch roof (cracks, leaning etc)? A post is partialy off of the porch. Move the patio set the the back yard. The fence is a major problem.

• sparksals
    16 years ago

So we just aren't interested in lowering the fence.

To be blunt, what does it matter to you if you will be moving anyway? You are selling the house and the new owners will make changes. I can understand the need for privacy, but your home is for sale and if you want to sell it, taking down the fence will show what a wonderful front yard you have.

I disagree with akkw about too many plantings. I think they are beautiful, but I do agree with her that the fence is detracting from your wonderful yard. I can tell your front yard has been given alot of TLC and with the fence down, your curb appeal will shine and get people into the home.

If you truly want to sell your home or at least get people in to view, you need to remove the fence. Either that or get your realtor to put the photo of the front yard in the listing.

• akkw
    16 years ago

I'd agree with sparksals that the front yard, plantings and waterworks and all, might not seem so overwhelming with the fence down. Many people would love what you have done there.

It's just that it's all in a very small enclosed space right now. Open up the yard and I'll bet that great house will sell! Best of luck!

• catfishsam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I find it interesting that the only thing that people can think about is taking this fense down.

We interviewed 3 or 4 realitors and had a realitor tour.

NONE of the realitors said anything negative about the fense.

So sorry I have to disagree with all of you, but it is not something I am going to do just to make you people feel like you are right.

Frankly I think you are wrong. The fense has nothing to do with it.

It is a bad market right now and nothing we do is going to change that.

So we are just going to take it off the market and try to sell it when the market improves.

We like the privacy the fense gives us. We like the patio in front and we like the pond and greenery. Trashing those isn't going to sell the house.

We still will have to live here if the house doesn't sell and it just may not sell. So why should we make changes that we will hate?

• ncguy32
    16 years ago

catfishsam,

You are shooting yourself in the foot if you choose to keep the fence up. If even half the people who would potentially be interested in buying your house feel remotely like all the previous posters do, you will miss out on people coming to view your home. Many people would choose not to view a home with such a poor picture of the front (due to out of place fence). Its your house so you can obviously do what you want. You clearly aren't really interested in selling it or you would get rid of the fence. Like it or not, the other posters are correct .... the fence IS HURTING your chances of selling the house.

• jakabedy
    16 years ago

Wow. I see the decision has been made. I'd just like to add, though, that I have a house that is situated similarly. You park in the back, enter the house in the back, and the front becomes an afterthought. And we're on a hill, so there isn't much visible of the terrace and front from the road. Out of sight, out of mind. We don't keep it as nicely as the rest of the property. Now that we're about to list the house, we're having to do a lot of catch-up in the front. I wish we'd made an effort all along.

So, fence or no fence . . . spruced up fence or as-is fence . . . make it as attractive as possible. Also, make sure whatever look you decide to go with keeps the place in line with the neighborhood.

Good luck!

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

Sorry, I just have to say, fense and realitor are not words. It's fence and Realtor.

• jperiod
    16 years ago

Catfishsam, I see your predicament. In your declining market, it will take a special buyer with vision (or a special price), to get past that fence. Since you're able to wait for that special buyer, I'd leave the fence up as well since it's important to your quality of life (and the potentially long wait you'll have left in the house).

Instead, consider taking a few shots of the house for the MLS from just INSIDE the fence, like you posted here (but more of the house)? Or even two angles, looking up at the house and one of the front yard that you currently have. If buyers can see what's behind the fence from the photos, they might have the inspiration to come take a look (and decide if they want to remove that fence for themselves).

BTW, I really like your ponds and gardens. Looks like a refreshing retreat and I'm sure someone will feel the same. :)

• lakebuilder
    16 years ago

I agree with the Catfisher. Why change everything he loves about their house and property? After all, its their property. If a buyer would pass up a reasonably priced house because a fence is in place, I'd bet they would find 50 other things to complain about too. After all, once they bought it, with a little sweat and probably a few hours they'd have no fence and no additional expense. I think most buyers have a little vision and ambition.

• jperiod
    16 years ago

I forgot to add...have your realtor mention things in the description of the listing that make it sound more positive "private retreat, secluded, private park-like yard, secluded and relaxing oasis, lots of privacy, etc..."

• sparksals
    16 years ago

Why change everything he loves about their house and property?

Because they are trying to sell their house? Because they need to appeal to as many buyers as possible?

I find it funny that the OP came here looking for advice, didn't like what he heard and deemed every single one of the multiple posts to remove the fence to be wrong.

Catfisher, you really are making a huge mistake. If you don't have to move, so be it, but I personally think you're looking for an excuse not to sell. Perhaps you are attached to your home and are not ready to do so. However, when it does come time, that fence has to go. You're just not going to get the traffic to see it.

For the record, when I'm househunting, I search listings and determine the homes I will look at. Solely because of the fence in front, I would skip past your house and not bother looking at it.

There are many realtors and consumers who post on this board. If the vast majority are saying get rid of the fence if you want to sell, then we are most likely right.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

If you're not willing to remove the fence or replace it with something more attractive (there are many other fence styles that would provide privacy, mitigate noise, and look much more attractive than a cheap stockade fence that appears to be falling over), then at the very least get it put back to straight-up and painted. If you decide to take the house off the market for, say, two years (current projections for the market to come back up are counting in the years, not months) and don't do anything about that fence, it is only going to look worse and you may end up being the place about which people say "oh, THAT house".

I am currently househunting; I absolutely adore Victorians, and I think I have the brains to be able to see the potential under cosmetic issues. (Which is good, because pretty much everything in my price range is dog-ass ugly.) However, I would be unlikely to give this house a shot because the thought that that trashy-looking fence puts into MY mind is: if the front fence looks that ratty, what other routine maintenance has been blown off? Compound that with the porch issues visible just in that snapshot, and the interior pictures had better be very impressive to get me to come out and look at it. I would also be lowballing big time if I made an offer at all because of that perception that maintenance has been deferred. I don't like wasting sellers' and agents' time so I check out houses before I make an appointment to go see it, and I can't say as the property entices me to come see the inside at all.

I'm unfortunately very familiar with the "incurable defect" of being located close to a busy, noisy road - we're in that situation now - and we're finding that it means you have to make the place extra special, better than the house in the better location a couple of blocks away. I had to do a whole bunch of things to my house that I didn't like one bit in order to make it saleable. I hate white interior trim but 90% of the trim in my house is now painted white because that has the widest appeal and I am stuck maintaining a flower bed even though I hate gardening because it's good curb appeal, just to give two examples. I am in a bad market too which means being stubborn about keeping things the way _I_ want them is not a good plan. It's a change in mindset: this is not my house anymore, I'm just living here until the new owners come along.

And yes, it's not friendly or PC but I do think that an awful lot of buyers ARE dumb enough that they can't see past cosmetics. I went to a couple of open houses this weekend and was stunned by some of the things I overheard. Of course, the tough part for the sellers is that there are plenty of other houses for them to go buy...

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

A new day, some new thoughts...

This house is really too large for us and we don't even use the upstairs any more since at our age, it is hard going up and down stairs. We would prefer having a one level house. However, this house is so large that there is plenty of room to live downstairs.

Are you saying that you do not use the upstairs? Was there a bedroom downstairs? If not, what room did you convert to sleep in?

You are probably right about the front fense. However, it gives us a lot of privacy and keeps the noise level down. This is a fairly busy street we live on.

So we just aren't interested in lowering the fense.

With such a large back yard, why did you build up the front with a pond? I'm just asking because it isn't something of the "norm" where I am. Your house will sell to a very specific buyer, just like mine with loits of gardens.

Do other neighbors also have a high privacy fence in fromt? Is this the norm for your area?

While I do like what you've done, I think it could be cozy, I still wonder why this wasn't done in the back? Do you access everything from the back like poster jakabedy?

I find it interesting that the only thing that people can think about is taking this fense down.

We interviewed 3 or 4 realitors and had a realitor tour.

NONE of the realitors said anything negative about the fense.

So sorry I have to disagree with all of you, but it is not something I am going to do just to make you people feel like you are right.

I'm sorry that you seem to be insulted by the posts. No one is trying to insult you. When people post here for help, they are getting honest feedback from people that do not know them. You have to take it with a grain of salt, but also stop and think and ask yourself some questions. How would you view this if you were not the owner? Can you honestly sit back and remove your personal feelings from the house?

The posters here are giving feedback as if they were a buyer or realtor (we have a few), and in this case (when people ask for feedback) we are looking at your pictures or listing like we are considering buying a house in your neighborhood and the house came up on a search. People buy houses from the listing pics & description in addition to price. Some may see the pond & fence (I don't think the porch is cracked, I think it's a pour line) and see work in order to move in. Are there any interior pics on your listing to show a freshly painted inside?

Of course the realtors may not have said anything, perhaps they know your age, they've obviously had the chance to meet you in person & probably knew what to say and what not to in order to not offend, because after all, they want the listing. Think about it. At some point, your realtor just may mention the fence. Call them up to come over, tell them you made the post, tell them you want honest feedback. Ask if there's anything else they would do.

If you are older and don't have help, it's possible you also didn't declutter. Is it possible to link to your realtor.com listing so that we can see the whole picture? Perhaps looking at other listings in your neighborhood the fence won't matter, we don't know. It appears that in ours, it would.

I do agree that a shorter fence would look great, and allow people to see the beautiful front yard, even if you only did it in the very front.

I have a post called Sellers, what are you doing to prep?, the link is below. Have a look at what us sellers have done in order to sell our house in this market. With all of the HGTV TV shows, houses have to be in great visual shape in order to sell. It really stinks to be a seller and have to work your butt off, but this is now how it is. The days of just putting up a for sale sign are over due to too much competition from these shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sellers, what are you doing to prep?

• dabunch
    16 years ago

Catfishsam-

I agree with you that you need something to keep the privacy & the noise down if your'e on a busy street.

My BIL is a contractor. He built several homes on a busy street. At first they weren't selling. Those were beautiful & quality built homes. He was baffled. His pride was hurt because he built a good product & did not cut corners.
    Then he came up with an idea. He put in a row of pine bushes/trees along the road as a buffer.

The homes old like hotcakes.

I know when you're selling the last thing you want to do is spend money on improvements, because you may not get your money back. However, a nice row of pine trees, 3-4 ft tall, planted every couple of feet, instead of the fence should not be expensive. You can do it yourself. It will give the property a facelift & privacy.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Catfish, you NEED to concentrate on perspective buyers and what THEY might want, and they may not have the same concerns with privacy to the degree that you do.

You NEED to forget about the house being yours. What YOU like personally is not important if you're trying to sell.

You NEED to let future buyers see your beautiful front yard, and all the work you have put into it.

You NEED to remember that making a small concessions could bring more money.

You NEED to remember that doing nothing will get you nothing.

And yes, it may be a bad market, but how can you disprove the theory of wheather it's the house/fence or the market, if you do nothing? ;o)

patty_cakes

• beachmamaproperties
    16 years ago

I think CatFish has left the property. Why ask a question on a bulletin board if you are not open to any suggestions we are offering him?

I agree, you cannot even see a victorian home because of the fence! It has gotta go!

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I think johnmari and roselvr has given some excellent advice. However, since you don't have to sell now I would just keep those things in mind for when you do go to sell. I think another reason the fence is feeling so off is that it is not in keeping with a victorian home so if you are trying to play that angle then your gardens are fine, but the fence just looks out of place.

dabunch has a good idea. Plant a row of arbor vitae or at least consider doing so now so that when you go to sell you have the buffer of noise and the traffic view and it will be a much nicer buffer to look at than the current fence.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Yup, the fence looks horrible, needs to go and will deter showings and a possible purchase unless the house is a fire-sale and the interior is completely updated (and there are pics in the listing reflecting these updates).

catfishsam is a perfect example of someone selling a home, not a house. S/he has not emotionally detached, is insulted that anyone should offer an opinion detrimental to catfishsam's home, and is unwilling to change to make a sale - but it's a slow market dontchyaknow?

catfishsam I wonder if you projected as defensive an attitude to the four realtors who sought your listing as you have here? If so, that could be why none of the realtors suggested a change? You currently have two defects in curb appeal - one, the busy street, is incurable, the other, an ugly, ill maintained stockade fence is of your own making. You can cure one of your defects, but not the other.

Honestly? You probably should pull the house off the market. Spend some time over the next few years figuring out what can be done to the front of your house to make it more inviting and protect the owner's privacy. It may involve a landscape architect. During this time you can begin to emotionally detach from your house. Maybe by then the market will have improved.

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

Catfish, I hate to burst your bubble, but the above posters are correct. In a softening market, you simply cannot afford to have the attitude you're having about selling. It's quite apparent that you do not have to sell. If you truly *did* have to sell, you'd be eager to hear any and everything that might make a sale happen quicker.

As far as your Realtor not bringing anyone to the house; there's really nothing we as Realtors can do unless/until a buyer in that price range comes along. If I have a 400k listing, but all the buyers I'm working with are wanting a $200k starter home, then I'm certainly not going to bring them to see my $400k listing. The only way your Realtor can bring someone by is if someone calls to inquire about the house, or they happen to find a buyer looking in that price range.

Terriks, you beat me to it! LOL!! I see "realitor" alot on this forum, and it grates me every time.....

• kitchenshock
    16 years ago

I think I understand where the OP is coming from. Look at how small the front yard is. The house is practically on the street. The fence, while it appears to be at the end of its life, probably provides the necessary amount of separation from the busy street and the house for one to feel comfortable living in the home. I think if I bought the home I would have a custom fence put up that has more character then a stockade fence. But, I would certainly want a fence, given the road is a busy one.

While Colorado is probably bad like most other places, I bet its not as bad as Florida. We have friends getting ready to sell and they expect to be on the market 6-9months. We have so much inventory and the builders are doing everything they can to get buyers into new homes, that you are elated if you get one showing a week.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Actually, if you read the original post, catfishsam did not ask for our opinions on what could be done to sell his home. His question, as I read it, was about taking it off the market after six weeks and only two showings, given the disruption to his life.

In this uncertain market and given the price of the home, I would think long and hard before removing something I liked (the fence) on a gamble that someone else would not want it. It could be that a photographer with a wide angle lens could get a front shot of the house inside the fence, as someone recommended above.

• chisue
    16 years ago

I'm guessing that the street is very busy. The fence is a necessary sound barrier. The water feature is an attempt to block noise.

Frankly, I don't view this as a "Victorian". It looks like a typical farmhouse to me. Regardless, it has land and that may be where its value lies, depending on zoning and what else is nearby.

I don't know if the OP will be able to cancel his contract and take the house off the market. Maybe.

• catfishsam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chisue, I agree with you. Although this house is from that time, it is not really a Victorian. It was actually a farm house at one time and then the city grew up around it.

When we list it next time I am going to insist that it not be listed as a Victorian.

A lot of homes in this neighborhood have their front yards fenced this way. None of them are painted either. Most lean since this is a very windy city. Occassionally I go out and straighten it, until the next time the wind blows.

The pond really helps keep noise down so you were right about that. Cities are very noisy places.

The front yard is shaded late in the day so it is the coolest spot in the yard. So that is why we have our patio there.

Also we come in the back since we park out there.

Our real estate agent is coming out this afternoon and we are going to tell him to take the house off the market.

We may try another agency or just wait for a while and see if the market improves?

• qdognj
    16 years ago

If there are no buyers, then changing agencies won't work..Why not continuing to list,but live in your house as you had prior to listing..Enjoy your home and don't worry if it isn't in tip-top shape when a showing pops up...Trying to wait until the market improves could be futile, as when does it improve? after your neighbor sells? When DOM improves? and who is to say that when those indicators say "sell" that the market then dips again? Best of luck

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

I'm getting in late on this post, but essentially agree with everyone else who says the fence has to go! With that fence and those huge trees, you can barely see this house. I could easily drive by it and not even realize it's there. It does seem to me that the fence is hiding something. I like the pond and plantings but would move some of the outdoor furniture...it's a little too busy for my taste. I wonder where the "for sale" sign is?

Six weeks on the market is nothing...we are closing this Wed. on our house after 3.5 months DOM. Our realtor also never showed the house herself, but got lots of other realtors to show it. The buyers are actually a young couple, of which the woman is the niece of a good friend of my husband's. We told the friend about the house, and he suggested that his niece and her boyfriend might be interested in it! So...yeah...we could have sold it FSBO. But who knew? You never really know where your buyers are going to come from.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I would seriously consider planting some shrubs that would form a "natural" fence. It would be more attractive, and wouldn't fall over.

• maggiemaye
    16 years ago

Hi,

New to this site.

Hubby and I are looking for a place to raise 3 very active boys - 5,7 and 10. Is there a link to find out where you are located?

We are very outdoorsy people and would love to find a place like yours. Our last home - sold due to an Uncle Sam transfer - was also fenced on 4 sides with 6 foot cedar. That was pretty much the norm for the area. I would leave the fence as is. Some lucky buyer will be spared the expense of putting up their own.

If you are anywhere near Fort Carson - Colorado Springs, CO. - Hubby and I would love to take a look.

I can also agree with those who say the fence does block the view of the house, but alot of people would probably come just to see what's on the other side.

Hang in there and you might be surprised. The people who bought our place were thrilled about the fence.

• gypsyrose
    16 years ago

Well, I can see both sides of the question here - while I agree with the posters that the fence detracts from the curb appeal of the house, I don't believe that would stop any serious buyers from looking - a fence is an easy thing to remove if the next buyers don't want it. I also can understand that catfishsam understands he/she may have to live there awhile until a buyer comes along and doesn't want to sacrifice privacy.

I would suggest straightening up the fence and plant some vines or plants in front of it to soften the look. Since it was mentioned other homes in the area are fenced this way, it really shouldn't be that big an issue.

JMO

• jy_md
    16 years ago

I'm with Gypsyrose - the fence does detract from the house somewhat but if I were the OP (and not in a rush to sell, knowing the market is slow) I wouldn't remove it at all. If it's there for noise reasons, why suffer for the next 3, 6, 9 months, while you're trying to sell the house? It's still yours.

I will say that I was somewhat disappointed when you described the house as Victorian and then I saw the farmhouse. I was expecting something taller. I would also have seen the house anyway - the front yard actually looks very inviting to me.

Maybe you can grow some vines on the inside of the fences and if there's room, plant some shrubs (think hedge) along the outside. The house won't be any more visible but the curb appeal may increase nonetheless.

• catfishsam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our realtor was just here. We pulled our house off the market and he picked up his signs, lock box and cancelled the contract.

He was not real happy, but didn't give us a bad time.

We may put it back on at a later date, but will only if the market improves.

We will also try a different agency realtor.

So we are no longer trying to sell the house.

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

"So we are no longer trying to sell the house."

That's good... now you can relax and enjoy the summer!

But when you decide you really, really do want it sold, you know what needs to be done! :)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I agree about listing it as Victorian, I don't know what the realtor was thinking.

Having the info that others also have fencing like that is helpful, so it's the norm. Since you come in from the back, does the back look like someone else's front would? I ask because you might want to have that pic show 1st in your next listing.

If you do decide to put it back on, consider a 3 month contract if this one was 6. If you do a search here, there's a post about realtor.com and how to pick an agent using realtor.com and the different levels of agent membership. Since we didn't see your MLS listing, we don't know if your agent signed up for any extras, which help sell a house.

• jasper60103
    16 years ago

catfishsam,
    I wish you cold talk to my neighbor.
    I think he's on crack.
    His house has been listed for 2 years! Just keeps changing realtors.
    He's holding to his price though.

• ncguy32
    16 years ago

"So we are no longer trying to sell the house."

From the sound of it you never were really trying to sell it. You just listed it and then took it off the market. Doesn't matter if the market improves or not, that poor fence will continue to hurt your chances of selling and will have anegative impact on any offer you eventually get. Change out the fence, not realtors.