SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnbobbi

Quilt top finished-quilting advice welcome!

mnbobbi
11 years ago

Hello all,

I had posted recently that I was starting my first quilt, a picnic quilt for my DS and DIL's first anniversary (coming up in two weeks-eek!) Anyway, I just finished the top and (hopefully) a photo is attaching to this post.

My thought was to stitch in the ditch, and bought thread that seemed like the perfect color to blend in on the blocks and in back. I didn't think at the time about the dark borders, and since it's a medium green, I think my dark green borders are going to highlight my very novice quilting skills if I stitch all the way through the borders. The border is 6-1/2 wide prior to seams. Does the border need to be quilted? Should I stop at the end of the blocks and then quilt the borders separately, maybe in a straight stitch running the length of the quilt and in a darker thread? Is it too wide an area to leave without quilting at all?

Also, any advice on the actual SITD? Do I stitch the entire length and width of the quilt starting in the middle? In the same direction or opposite directions for the alternating rows?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I am so appreciative of having you as a resource to help me finish this!

Many thanks,

Barbara

Comments (21)