SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Painters here - need advice for ceiling & trim color

celticmoon
14 years ago

Forgive the babbling....The saga of my de-popcorning my ceilings is coming to a close. (I had to call in pros once I realized my arms and eyes and body in general are way too old to be taping and mudding 20 ft off the ground.) The now flat ceilings are bee-yoo-tiful.

Problem: I have to have a single ceiling color run through entry, greatroom, dining and kitchen. There are walls and partial walls and beamwork demarcating the spaces, but the vaulted ceiling is continuous. My wall color in the LR, DR and entry is EK Amy's Sarasota Sand (like FB String), a tan that shifts to gold, khaki, gray and greenish tones with a the light. The kitchen is BM Victorian Garden, much deeper but also in an elusive green-gray tone. I need something that can live with both.

And I don't have the gut$$ to do a contrasting color like EK Gustovain Grey.

In the SW deck, the Muslin (6133) strip seems to be closest to my LR/DR wall color in most light - though the EK does bounce more all over the spectrum. Muslin works with the kitchen color too. I think.

4 questions:

Is it best to pick form a comparable hued strip (rather than contrasting)?

My LR/DR is a bit lighter than 3rd from lightest on a strip and kitchen is a little darker than the 4th from the lightest. Re depth of color, Muslin is comparable to Antique White or Navaho White, so a bit darker than most ceiling whites. Should I have it mixed lighter? I'm worried too much hue might not play well with the bouncing EK color. 70% maybe?

Third, I may well repaint the walls before this gigantic ceiling ever sees new paint. I favor gray-green tones, always have, so I THINK I am good with the Muslin's tilting that way. Tell me if this is a terrible mistake. Is there a 'universal' ceiling color I should be considering?

Last, for trim I have the same questions. The whole house needs trim redone (it is now 20 yr old very pale orangey white: Organza SW 6637). I will not miss that orange cast!!! How bad a pick can Muslin be compared to that? But do I use Muslin full strength or part strength for trim? The EK Sarasota Sand does look very crisp against a true white. Is there a universal trim for us green-gray people?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Comments (2)