SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Dishwasher Under Sink - Ridiculous?

John Liu
13 years ago

I had a weird idea, which is prompting me to ask about the ergonomics of a ''wash zone''.

The idea is, could a dishwasher be located under a wash sink with wall-mount faucets?

Here are some dimension:

- Dishwashers are typically 34'' tall, 24'' deep, and a fraction under 24'' wide. That's for a Fisher Paykel double dishdrawer.

- Sinks are typically 8'' to 10'' internal height, plus the thickness of the sink bottom, which can be minimal for a steel sink. If custom made, a sink can have the drain located at the rear.

- Base cabinets are typically 25'' or so deep, but deeper ones - 30'' - are often desired.

- Garbage disposals can be as small as 8'' diameter by 12'' tall.

- My preferred counter height is 38'', on which I usually place a 2'' thick cutting board for a 40'' work surface.

Just looking at these dimensions, it seems like if you stacked the sink over the dishwasher, the rim of the sink could be 43'' to 45'' high. With a 38'' counter, there would be a 5'' to 6'' tall lip around the sink. How irritating would this be? An elbow-banger?

To allow a garbage disposal, the front of the dishwasher would have to be 33'' from the wall. If the base cabinet is deep, say 30'', plus a 1'' counter overhang, the face of the dishwasher would protrude some 2'' from the counter edge. The sink could be a ''farmhouse'' style whose front protrudes as far as the dishwasher face, and whose rear goes nearly all the way to the wall. It would be of huge but bizarre proportions, some 30'' to 32'' deep by some 24'' wide. How bothersome is that?

The advantage is that you could get an additional 24'' width of drawer storage, since the dishwasher could be tucked under the sink instead of occupying 24'' of cabinet alongside the sink.

The disadvantages are that you'd have to stand to the side when loading the dishwasher, there's this tall lip around the sink, and there'd be no room for a trash pullout or supplies storage under the sink. There's conceptually another full sink 4 feet away for prep, so possibly the wash sink could share the trash/supplies storage of the prep zone. Everything would have to be custom. It would look bizarre.

Does the sole advantage outweigh the various disadvantages? Should this ridiculous idea die here and now?

Comments (26)