SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsr14

New 48 inch range - DCS vs. American Range vs. Five Star

lindsr14
9 years ago

We are designing a new kitchen, and I am struggling to choose a range. We need a 48 inch because of the way the space is configured, but spending $10k+ isn't really in the budget. I am having a bit of a Goldilocks moment searching for a range that is "just right." I've done some research on brands/features/price, I've narrowed it down to the DCS RDU-486G sealed burner/dual fuel, American Range Performer ARROB-848 or 648GD open burner/all gas, or the Five Star TTN5257 open burner/dual fuel.

Here are some of the things I like about each:

DCS
Pros: I like the price, and I like the dual fuel so I can have electric ovens for baking. I've read a lot of the debate on open vs. sealed burners, and I'm still on the fence (have only ever used sealed burners), but I'm pleased to read people saying that the stainless surface of the DCS is easy to clean. Not a huge issue, but the promotion for free dish drawers is a bonus - I'm on the fence about dish drawers as they have very mixed reviews, but I like the idea of being able to run different things in different loads at different times (can fill one drawer with wine glasses and one with plates and run them as they fill).
Cons: Unsure about the brand - I've searched the forums here and see that there are people who love DCS, but those people seem to be owners of older models before they were purchased by Fisher Paykel/Haier. I don't know if the newer models are as high of quality. I'm also not super crazy about the look of this model, but not so turned off by it that it makes a huge difference.

American Range Performer
Pros: I have read a lot of positive reviews of American Range, and I like that it seems to be a very professional level product for a lower price than the Blue Star, which is a bit out of reach. On the other hand, like I said, I'm on the fence about whether I really need an open burner, as I'm not that serious of a cook. Highest BTUs of any of the models I'm considering, although I'm not sure how much difference there is between high BTUs on the DCS or Five Star and the super high BTUs on the American Range. Other pro is the ability to configure the cook top with 8 burners instead of 6 burners and a griddle - can't decide whether I really want the griddle.
Cons: it's an all gas model (although the lack of electronics is a pro) and some people have commented that the oven is loud, which is a down side as our kitchen is open to our family room. More expensive than the DCS.

Five Star
Pros: it's the only model I can find that's available as an open burner dual fuel.
Cons: can't find many reviews of the brand or product, more expensive than the DCS, lowest BTUs of the three models considered

So this is my predicament. Open vs. sealed burners for me comes down to ease of cleaning, and there seems to be much disagreement on these forums about whether open is in fact easier to clean. If open is not, in fact, easier to clean, then is the increased performance worth the extra cleaning effort? I don't know. Second issue is price. DCS is in budget. Willing to go over budget if it's really worth it for a better product, BUT we will most likely be blowing the budget on a built-in fridge (not just for looks but because we only have a 36 inch wide space for fridge but we have very tall ceilings, so I would like to get extra refrigerator space with the extra height on a built-in model), so I don't want to spend more money on the range than is "necessary."

Anyone want to weigh in? Your help would be much appreciated!

Comments (3)