SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jem199

Newbie here - freaking out just a little

jem199
13 years ago

Hello, I'm remodeling my kitchen and have found this forum extremely helpful in making my choices, so thank you all!

My home was built in 1974 and the kitchen was somewhat of a dream kitchen for that time. When we bought the house, we knew we'd redo it eventually. The look of it has held up better than many kitchens from the 1970s since they picked white formica and a very plain maple cabinet (the formica was bright yellow, green and orange elsewhere in the house so we started in those rooms first lol). I started 'looking around' at kitchen designs 3 years ago. I move pretty slow when the price tag is high. I started with the cabinets. So we had them designed when I got a call a few weeks ago from the cabinet maker - they lowered my quote by 20% if I'd get them into production now since they had a work lag. My contractor had room as well, so we ordered the cabinets. Now, all the pretty things I've been looking at, well, I have the make every decision within 3 weeks and it's a bit overwhelming. I can pick all kinds of things individually, but keep second guessing myself about how they will fit together. I'm even second guessing the cabinets (recessed vs full overlay) and it's too late to change that decision.

It just seems like too many decisions! I bought a gas cooktop, kitchen sink, kitchen faucet and finalized all the cabinet options this week and I'm all decided out. I still have to decide on the granite, bar sink and faucet, backsplash and cabinet hardware. I think the hardware is the only thing that I can put off. We're using our old fridge and dishwasher for now too. They are plain white and will look fine so we'll get new appliances next year after we've paid off the rest of the kitchen.

Anyway, just wondering if this overwhelmed feeling would have happened even if I wasn't jumpin in sooner than expected. I'm really stuck on the bar sink and faucet. I wanted to do something really special there, but now I'm not sure about the bronze with the granite. Is this something any of you can related to?

Janet

Comments (9)