SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

July 2013, Quilting/Sewing Goals

Going to try this and hope I don't mess it up. I have the view/zoom thing on 400% so that should help!

Anyone have any thoughts for this month? The main thing on my mind is to present Major Abbi with the QOV I pieced and Beverly is quilting and binding for me. Then, depending on how things work out with my eye, I'd like to get the color crumbs put together. Shouldn't be real difficult as there are seams to go by to help keep it straight and proper. Since I've had time to think about what my next big project will be, I have an idea but will wait and see. I have enough UFO's that I won't get bored. lol

Fess up girls, what's going on in the sewing room this month? Picnics and outings are probably planned for the 4th, but that's the kitchen. -)

SharonG/FL

Comments (40)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

We have a great-granddaughter coming in Sept. So I will be working on her quilt(s). One is ready for the quilter and another is needing borders. Ordinarily I wouldn't send a baby quilt out but this one is special. And I may even start a third one for her. Can you tell we are excited!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I'm off the rest of the week (yippee!!) and I'm planning to recover two chairs. Yesterday I pulled out a small banner kit I purchased some years ago so I will probably start that.

I began a huge cross stitch picture quite a while ago but haven't been able to get into it. I think I'll try spending some full days working on it to see if it grabs me. :)

Donna

• Related Discussions

January, 2013 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (19)
    Here it is the last day of January, 2013! My oldest grandchild is 33 today....WOW! I'm with you girls that want to finish up the projects that have already been started. Eventually, we'll get them done! It helps that when someone wants/needs a quilt that I usually have a top made (or almost made) that will fit the occasion. I have Katie's quilt ready for quilting...would sure like to get it completed today as DD plans to see her on Saturday. All the blocks are made for the Zig-Zag and I'm happy with how they all look together. As a whole, I'm pleased with how much I got done this month. How about you? SharonG/FL
    ...See More

April 2013 Quilting/Sewing Goals - Garden?

Q

Comments (26)
    Sounds like everyone is accomplishing lots of projects in April, both in and out of the house! My one ray of hope for me......this week I pulled out the Cricket loom that I warped with a scarf for my niece 2 or 3 years ago. I've woven several inches each day and the scarf is growing! I want to finish it to hold for fall and then weave two more scarves for friends. I just have too many things I want to do! But I'll bet NO one here knows anything about that! LOL! I did get the blocks made for our Round Robin exchange next month. And I am making progress on a birthday quilt commissioned by my sister for her 'manly' friend. I gave her three fairly easy-to-make quilt designs to choose from and she chose the Chantilly quilt from Black Mt. Quilts. It is all HST and several borders so I am sure I will finish it by mid-June. There is one finished smock and a summer blouse cut-out to put in my Etsy shop. Then I want to make a simple jacket for the shop too. I have several (ok, a lot) pieces of clothing fabric on hand to make things for myself and for the shop. They are laying out on my cutting table and they shout at me when I walk in the room....... Off to sew HST blocks together! Teresa
    ...See More

October, 2013 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (27)
    Oh, October. I've hit it so hard this summer that I just sort of put it in fourth gear and have been coasting gently for a month. I kept track of what I have grown and canned, and the just veggie garden alone over six hundred pounds of produce. I'm laughing because although it was a good year, I have cut back on it from what I used to grow. The fruit production has been the best I've ever had and I'm thankful and have given and given away apples so they'd not be wasted. Quilting has been a few minutes/hours here and there for months. I've a quilt on the dining room table now doing the hand finish work on it as the mood strikes me. Decided when this one's done I'm going to start gathering up all the smaller pieces in my stash and just start making four inch HSTs and toss 'em in a box until I get bored with it. You KNOW how many patterns you can throw together with HSTs. There are none dancing around in my head right now and when one pops in, alls I'll have to do is put it together.
    ...See More

July, 2015 Quilting/Sewing goals

Q

Comments (15)
    My July goals are to quilt and bind the restored View from the Cabin quilt that I gave to my neighbor several years ago. Her dog ate several huge holes in it; she "unquilted" the whole quilt; I repaired the top as best I could (being unable to find more matching fabric); and it's now glue basted and ready to re-quilt. I hope to finish my nephew's Winter Windows quilt top and get it off to the longarmer. I'm working on a Summer in the Park quilt with a jelly roll of marbled batiks that I got in a scrap bag and a piece of WOW that my friend gave me. I also have to go through a 12" high stack of patterns and magazines that this same friend gave me. Most of the patterns are for appliqués, which I don't often do, but the magazines have some interesting patterns in them. I'd also like to quilt the two lotto winnings quilt tops that I have pieced and get them into the "Done" pile.
    ...See More
  • quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July! In July I am going to be busy hand-quilting Christy's grandbaby quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Theresa, I remember when our first GreatGrandDaughter was expected....she is now 12. When she was here last month, she had brought the first quilt I had made for her with her and is still using it. I think all the love that gets poured into our quilts never leaves it no matter how many times it gets washed! I know you're excited to meet the little one.

Donna, Pamper yourself during this week and be at peace and content.......in your sewing room. :-)

Sandra, Are you still on the road? Or, are you planning another road trip??

On another topic: My niece works at a fan company in MN that built some of the big fans going into the New World Trade Center (my BIL designs/engineers them) and has sent some great pictures of the rebuilding process. If anyone would like to see them, let me know and I'll forward to you.

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I try not to set goals but do hope to finish putting together the Jenny Beyer top I am making so it can get it sandwiched and I can start quilting it.
    I also would like to make a baby quilt for my GD's friend. I just haven't quilt figured out what I want to do yet.
    Glad to see your posting Sharon as it means you are recovering quickly.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jayne, It seems that yesterday and today has gone very well. As I read and use the computer, when my eye feels tired/stressed/achy, I stop and give it a rest. Shhhh, I even sewed a little bit today...ok, had to rip, too. lol Will see what the doc says when I see him in the morning. :)

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I'm on a bent to finish small UFOs. Well, someone else's ufos, but still. I'm missing a book (design) for one, and a ruler for another, but there are still 3-4 more! So...

1. Quilt and bind my niece's graduation quilt (when I get the backing from the printer)
    2. Finish Jinny Beyer border block UFO
    3. Finish Celtic knot UFO
    4. Finish Sunflower door hanger UFO
    5. Finish curves UFO (need ruler)
    6. Finish Bargello UFO (need book)
    7. Dye fabric for quilt background

Guess that might keep me busy this month!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jennifer, I have "Bargello Quilts" by Marge Edie...that doesn't happen to be the one you need, is it?

Donna

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I'm going to sit back and rest since Jennifer is doing all the work for us this month.

I do have a quilt sitting on the frame ready to quilt but until a pattern comes into my brain, it will just sit there.

I continue applique at my volunteer job hoping to have a challenge wallhanging ready for our guild show in September. I'm still apprehensive my design will work but at least it gives me something to do. I'm not starting anything new this month because I have a trip next week and have company here right now. Just figuring out schedules and meals has taken most of my time.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I normally don't set goals for a month, but I do have a two that absolutely must be done:
    1) finished challenge quilt (I finally settled on a design, my 5th one :-)
    2) finish quilted tote requested by a friend
    3) make the sun / moon wall hanging for my sun room
    4) sandwich and quilt my first scrappy/ on-point garden trellis quilt
    5) layout my version of the starfall quilt design
    6) select fabric for friends quilt
    7) stay out favorite quilt shop, that was recently purchased by a new owner...who is restocking with full lines of designer fabric, to include Jenny Beyer, Moda, Riley Blake and more...omg...

Ok, the first two are must goals, the others are a nice to do's and the last requires all my will power...someone help me :-)
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Donna, yes, that's the one I need. My friend has sewn strip-sets, and has already started the cross-cutting...I just don't know what her plan was. And since I've never done a bargello before, I'm kind of hung not knowing what direction to take. That's the book she was working from, so I thought it might be able to give me guidance. I'm just not ready to go out and buy it yet...

Linda, I'll finish a few projects in your honor this month!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Valerie, I'll help with number 6. Where's this shop & when do I pick you up???

lol

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Donna, your post apparently didn't land here at all!

Yes, I'd love the book if you're willing... What can I give you for it? You can email me if you need my address.

Thanks so much!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Donna, your post apparently didn't land here at all!

Yes, I'd love the book if you're willing... What can I give you for it? You can email me if you need my address.

Thanks so much!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Donna, got your email. FQs are fine with me. Any particular colors?

Can't get your email through your 'page'... you can try me, though.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jen, I sent an email to the address on your page. If that doesn't work mine is donnabrisbin at gmail.com.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

posted to wrong thread...reposting
    V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 11:41

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

SharonG/FL
    Yippee! That's great news.
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like Jennifer and Valarie has the longest list. How you doing girls? From all the pictures, Jennifer is chugging right along and making good time. Good thing for us, eh, Linda? Cause I'm not being very productive but just piddling around. Made 3 lotto blocks (and discovered an awesome new to me pattern for D9P).....hope I can get the lotto blocks mailed in. Made another barn block and have two rows of the crumbs sewn together.

I learned a new term today: Liberated Quilt Blocks
    I think it's similar to Wonky but I do like it.

Have fun

Here is a link that might be useful: Liberated Rose

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, since you asked...let's see..

1. Quilt and bind my niece's graduation quilt (when I get the backing from the printer) STILL WAITING
    2. Finish Jinny Beyer border block UFO DONE
    3. Finish Celtic knot UFO DONE
    5. Finish curves UFO (need ruler) STILL NEED RULER
    6. Finish Bargello UFO (need book) HAVE BOOK
    7. Dye fabric for quilt background SHOULD BE DELIVERED FRI

Also completed Winding Waves, 3 Retreat goodies, working on my challenge quilt.

I'm doing plenty for everyone, apparently. ;)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Well, I got the cushion covers for the one chair done. And the wall hanging is ready to quilt, so that's progress!

The upholstered chair so far has only the lining. I got a big case of "I don't feel like doing this today" on Sunday. :) Then Monday night I spent an hour and a half drawing the pattern for the cover, and as soon as I was done I realized there was a much easier way to do it, so now I need to draw another pattern.

I'm planning to draw the pattern tonight; hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have the chair and the wall hanging done!

Donna

• calliope
    10 years ago

I have allowed myself a 'holiday' from feeling obligated to do anything in the house/sewing area, so just stick my nose into it when the mood strikes. It's gardening season and I have food to grow and jar up and that doesn't wait like a UFO would.

I decided to spend a bit of time this morning on the finish work for the the Depression Block quilt. I wasted about an hour 'taking the easy way out'. Removed the nasty seam I should have trimmed, repaired a piece of bias I accidentally ripped, and am halfway through doing the job I should have had done properly an hour ago. LOL.

Note to self, short cuts usually aren't.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon hope your eyes finish healing soon. I was offline during our RV trips. We just got back from Arkansas last Sunday afternoon where we spent time with good friends boating on Lake Hamilton where we got to see an awesome 30 minute long firework show while we were out on the water. I have been busy hand-quilting my good friend Christy's grandbaby quilt. It has about 5 rows of blocks, and I just finished hand-quilting the first 2 rows. Hoping I will have all the hand-quilting done on her quilt by end of July. I have a Crazy Quilt that I have been working on in between other quilt projects, so am wanting to play with some fabric for that project, but trying so hard to just stick to the one project, Christy's grandbaby quilt, and get it finished. I usually have multiple projects going on at the same time, so is really hard to just focus on one.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 20:52

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon...since you inquired:
    #1 Challenge quilt top is done, will quilt and bind this weekend ( my weekend goal)
    #2 The tote must be ready by the 25th...on target,
    #'s 3, 4, 5 & 6 no progress
    #7 now on this I do need help...I've made on stop since 7/3 and will be stopping by this weekend...need one thing...just one little thing...

Jen...the store address is Littlestown PA, but it's east of Hanover PA, confusing for us who live in the area cause the same town is west as well, anyway it's called the Finishing Stitch. I'm anxious to see if more fabric has arrived...I need more fabric like I need another hole in my head... maybe I need to go into fabric therapy ;-) Would I be alone?

V.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Valarie, you will NOT be alone!
    The baby quilt came back from the quilter and now needs binding. Today's task. Picture to follow.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're gaining speed as we roll down the backside of the month.....or so it seems. We've had a lot of heavy rain which has flooded our jungle/backyard. DH has worked hard building up the area between the back of the house and the flood plane, so no worries. It's ugly back there with a lot of visible yard waste, but our resolve when we moved here was to leave that area as natural as possible. OK...have had a slight set back with my eye, but no infection just swelling/bulging......I must have rubbed it making the place of the incision to retaliate! DH is checking on me more often which interferes with my little sewing spurts. He wants me on the couch doing as little as possible! That really isn't going to happen as I have things to sew, but I'm trying to be good.

The presentation of the QOV is scheduled for July 29th, and the pillowcases are almost completed as 'wrapping' for the quilt. I keep finding neat things to make with scrappy squares and it's driving me crazy! I 'need' to concentrate on finishing what has been started....at least get them to the completed top stage!! The 'crumbs' are still up on the design board and I'm working on getting them together. That is now my main goal for this month. You've probably seen the barns that LindaOH is making in the BarnAlong. This is my latest which features an embroidered bonsai that Robbi made for me.

Hope all is well in your lives and you're smiling through your days.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Christy's Flower Garden Wedding Quilt

• jackier123
    10 years ago

My goals for the rest of the year are just to quilt what I want to. I have gotten a lot accomplished this month though.

quilted tennessee baby quilt
    quilted barn round robin quilt
    made gifts for retreat
    made big gift for retreat
    finished retreat challenge quilt
    worked on easy street quilt...just have 8 blocks to go, then going to do a pieced border
    cut out squares for a triple irish chain
    cut out pieces for a gift baby quilt
    start keeping my blog up to date

I should have made this goal years ago. LOL I seem to be getting a lot accomplished.

Jackie

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

SharonG/FL Remember he's trying to look after you! Hope things mend quickly.
    I love the quilt you put the link to. The barn blocks really look great, as does the great little bonsai block.

All of you amaze me with your productivity. I'm pretty bad at follow through. Love beginnings, have a bit of trouble with completions.

LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon hope your eye heals soon will keep you in my prayers. Everyone seems to be getting lots done this month. Yesterday I finished hand-quilting the 3rd row of blocks on Christy's grandbaby quilt, just 2 rows of blocks left to hand-quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Well, I didn't set any goals, but I'm doing well. My friend Donna now has her quilt. I have cut and am almost finished piecing a top for my aunt and uncle. I've been working on cutting up Marimekko scraps into various width strips for two Chinese Coin quilts for my great-nieces. And today, while waiting for my husband to be released after a colonoscopy, I stopped by Blue Bamboo. I had 90 glorious minutes to shop. (Are you jealous, Sharon?) I bought fabric for two quilts. One pattern is called Arcadia, and it will be done all in Asian prints in sage green, corals, golds and browns. I liked the focus fabric so well, I also bought it to do a One Block Wonder quilt. I'll try to post a photo of the fabrics. They are really wonderful. I've had the patterns for well over a year, but I've never found just the right fabrics - until today, that is. $187 dollars later, I'm really excited.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackie, So glad this is working for you! LOL Quilt what I want to!! You know, when I make a list of something to work on, it's usually something off the list that I work on, (unless it's really necessary) and, NO guilt!!! Why no guilt???? because I said so!!!!! No 'guilt' police either!

Thank you, LindaB. I know he wants what's best for me. I'm not sure how I'll put these barns together or if I'll make a silo barn, too. I'll ask Holly how big she'd like it to be...she's lost over 50# now and since she's been going to the gym and working out, there's minimal flab. I am just so proud of her!!

Sandra, Thank you.....I appreciate the prayers. I was telling someone the other day about how you hand sew your quilts from start to finish. Just so awesome....

Lois, Lois, Lois.......I was just looking at oriental fabric at The Blue Bamboo website earlier today. Their fabric is, well, fantastic! And, yes, I'm jealous that I don't have a store close-by like the Blue Bamboo. You have a talent of using the perfect colors/fabric together so I cannot wait for pictures!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

You are most welcome Sharon; I'll keep you in my prayers. Well we finally got rain. It has rained for 4 evenings in a row - yay! :-) My flower garden is loving it. I went to Hobby Lobby today and got bent safety pins for my hand-quilting projects and bought some ribbon for crocheted bookmarks I am making ... got to the check-out register and handed the lady my 40% off coupon for 1 item, and she smiled and said I would not need it, because everything I was buying was marked 50% off today - yay! yay! yay! Needless to say I did not check out right then, but instead went back to the other end of the store and got more safety pins to buy. A good day of shopping! I now have only 6 granny square quilt blocks left to hand-quilt on Christy's grandbaby quilt. I am hoping to have it fully hand-quilted by the end of the month. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since Abbi's quilt and the pillowcases are done, I have a couple more things in mind, plus a couple more quilts in progress. What I 'really' should do for the rest of the month is to get the rest of those color crumbs sewn together!!

Katie update from today: "doc says my tumor is stable. Still some live cells and she noticed a small finger like thing coming from the tumor. She's not convinced its new growth but they are changing up my chemo to try and really knock it. Your continued prayers are appreciated. I still believe God has got this. He is in control and I trust him completely! Love you all."

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Said a prayer for Katie. I have 1 granny square block left to hand-quilt on Christy's quilt, almost done! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Almost the end of another month! I did get both chairs done, and I pieced the wall hanging. I got frustrated with trying to quilt it, so it's in the closet on time out for a while. :)

I haven't gotten the cross stitch out, but I did finish a knitted baby blanket. And I started a miniature kit I've had for several years.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The gall of that quilt, Donna. I think putting it in timeout is exactly what was called for!

I accidently got a little face cream in my eye this morning so am fighting that for now....no sewing until it stops watering and feels better. I've noticed within the last few days that the outward swelling looks to be abating, so that is really encouraging to me. But, I worked on getting the color blocks together yesterday, so that's going nicely and as soon as they are sewn together it will go with the other tops that might need borders.....unless I change my mind. lol

Does anyone know of a website that shows how to make letters from 2 1/2" squares? I'm having trouble with "R" but with using HST's I think I have it figured out. Thanks.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sharon, here is one of the Rs in EQ6...it's not done in squares and HSTs, but it would be easy to modify it.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like it Donna! Thanks!!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Since it's almost the end of the month, I thought I'd recheck my list. I guess I've done pretty well...

1. Quilt and bind my niece's graduation quilt (when I get the backing from the printer) ...about 1/2 way done quilting
    2. Finish Jinny Beyer border block UFO DONE
    3. Finish Celtic knot UFO DONE
    5. Finish curves UFO (need ruler) STILL NEED RULER
    6. Finish Bargello UFO (need book) ...now on back burner
    7. Dye fabric for quilt background ... DONE and set aside for retreat

Have also finished 7 more retreat goodies, and have gotten my Challenge quilt to the stage of needing binding.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I finished the hand-quilting and the binding on Christy's grandbaby quilt earlier this week. Yay!!! Got a lot done this month.

Best to you,
    Sandra