SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sc_kathyc

Need to vent about cabinet guy--wwyd (long post)

sc_kathyc
14 years ago

We have been building (DIY) for almost 4 years now. So, I have learned to be patient. However, I am really upset at the cabinet maker. I gave him the first deposit on Dec. 20th, with the agreement that we would have the kitchen cabinets in by mid February. Come February, he said he couldn't bring the cabinets because we didn't have the hardwood floor installed yet.

We were undecided on pre-finshed vs. site finished. We finally decided on site finished and said ok, we will get them down so that you can bring the kitchen cabinets. We were thinking that by now, he should not only have the kitchen cabinets completed but all of them. He is doing 3 baths, laundry room, butlers pantry and family room built ins.

But no, we find out that he has not completed any of them!!! So we drop by his shop to see what is going on, and we see that he is in the beginning stages of the kitchen. While we are there he requests the next draw on the money. Our original agreement was that he would get the next draw when the kitchen cabinets were installed. (they were going to be first). We balked, but did give him another small deposit) $2500. He says that he will give us a call next week because he will be ready to delivery the kitchen. Next week arrives- no call. Finally he makes arrangements to deliver them a week later and my husband has to help him load and unload them. But he only delivers half of the kitchen and promises the balance on Friday 4/9. Friday, I get an email saying that he lost 2 production days and it's his wife's bday so it will be Tuesday before he delivers.

At this point, I am ready to take delivery of the kitchen cabinets and tell him to take a hike! It has been almost 4 months and we "might" have a complete kitchen tomorrow.

Now, all of that being said, I did know ahead of time that he is a small independent cabinet maker. He does good work, but I am wondering if this is worth the risk.

I plan on calling him today and I am not sure what I might say.

Do I have a right to be this upset? Is this type of service normal?

Comments (13)