SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

9/16th thick with 3 MM Veneer Vs. 3/8th thick with 3 MM Veneer?

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

9/16th thick with 3 MM Veneer Vs. 3/8th thick with 3 MM Veneer? I have two pieces of Brazilian Cherry Floors here (also have a few White Oak Rift & Quarter that I like if I decide to go lighter to have contrast with my desk) that have these two different board thicknesses but the same wear layer on top. The Terra Legno ( www.Terralegno.com) is the thicker plywood piece that is $3.99 Sq. Ft. Plus NJ Sales Tax. The BR-111 Brazilian Cherry Triangulo HardWood Floor samples I have here are $4.99/Sq. Ft. (if I can get that price again that I got quoted before the end of last year since it seems the price went up to $5.35/Sq. Ft everywhere). I only have two 12" boards of the very nice Terra Legno Brazilian Cherry floor samples with a 7 Layer Birch plywood as part of the plank floor sample. But the two boards seem to be the exact same color. I love the color variation in the BR-111.

I was told that the Terra Legno (3.5" width) was Saw Cut while BR-111 (3.25" width_ says their wood is Sawn Cut. I am assuming they have the same nice cut of the wood? Since, I only have seem pictures of the BR-111 floors that were very nice so I would like to know if having a thicker board will be better for walking on it and holding up better or is BR-111's wood just nicer? Also I like the Armstrong Valenza Collection in Natural Jatoba that is 5/8th thick and the sample is very nice with a 4 MM wear layer and 3.5" thick. I may be able to buy this floor for $5.99/Sq. Ft. Is it worth paying more for the 4 MM wear layer with the special commercial coating on top that makes it more scratch resistant over the 3 MM wear layer?

Will the $3.99 Plus sales tax floor look as nice as the $4.99 floor but just not have the brand name or would the wood not be as nice so I will not have that color variation that I like?

I am just about ready to buy my hardwood floors and I am confused.

I also like the Rose Stain Engineered Rift & Quarter White Oak from Coswick Flooring that is $5.29/Sq. Ft, 3.25" wide and 9/16th inch thick but I am told the floor is a European White Oak as hard as the Red Oak. I wonder if it is not porous like the North American White Oak?

I am going to post this also to the Flooring Forum. Thank you.

Comments (4)