SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helenback_gw

Some painting advice for my family room, please?

HelenBack
10 years ago

May I ask for some color and painting advice from the many wise and talented people on this forum?

My husband and I painted all the public rooms in our house Behr's Swiss Coffee (white with a very slight cream tinge) twenty-five years ago and have kept with that color. Now that we're ready to repaint once again, we're thinking of trying something with a bit more tint. Current contenders are Behr Smooth Silk and White Mocha -- a bit of a change-up, but a cautious one to be sure. Maybe too cautious?

Our family room is our projected place to start, and I am attaching some pictures so you can see the color elements that are already there. Here's a shot looking in from the kitchen counter:

Yes, that is a lot of wood, and the ash has definitely ambered over the years (there is a matching wet bar to the left of the kitchen counter as well). We're resistant to painting the wood, as we have maple floors in adjacent kitchen and dining room that have similarly aged over the years, and so there's cohesiveness, if not trendiness.

Here's a view from a corner of the room looking in:

And, here's one across the length -- yep, our taste runs to the bland in decor:

Last bit of info about the room -- it has a dead-true east/west orientation, and the skylights provide northern light. The quality of light constantly changes through the day, so perhaps white is best choice after all?

What do you think about our color choices? If you have any to suggest, that would be much appreciated!

Also, there's some discussion here on whether to retain a white ceiling, and if so, where to start and stop in regard to the soffits and horizontal surfaces above. Again, your thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks!

Helen

Comments (9)