SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlad

RECIPE: Who Writes Those Recipes?

gardenlad
17 years ago

More and more, lately, IÂve been wondering who writes those published recipes. Particularly the ones that appear in upscale magazines, like Gourmet.

I mean, some of those directions are something else. Unrealistic, to say the least. IÂm sure, for instance, youÂve all seen recipes that tell you to start with a pound of mushrooms. "Remove the stems," it says, "and reserve them for another purpose."

Uh, huh. Anybody here ever seen a recipe that says, "take half a pound of mushroom stemsÂ.."

Then there are the ones that tell you to peel, core, and chop one tomato. Anybody ever gone through that drill? For canning, yeah, IÂll blanch the tomatoes, cold water shock Âem, and peel. But go through that just for one tomato? TheyÂre kidding, right?

Nowadays, of course, recipes go overboard in their directions. I understand why they do that; they have to accommodate all the people new to cooking who didnÂt learn basic techniques at their mothers knees. But some of those instructions are downright silly.

Virtually every one of them, for instance, says, "Âin a heavy-bottomed saucepanÂ." Personally, I donÂt own any light-bottomed saucepans. But if I did? Does that mean I canÂt make that particular dish because my saucepan isnÂt right? Gimme a break!

Anyway, IÂm sure you all have examples of unrealistic recipe directions. Thought it would be fun to share them.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus