SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

August Block Lotto

calliope
14 years ago

It's time for a sneak preview for the August block. If you participated in July's block, I appreciated the comments about working on the bias with tiny triangles. As an apprentice quilter, I felt your pain. LOL.

I hope to be presenting a special block in September, requested by one of our quilting forum members, so be watching for it. My pick for this month was inspired by a project teresa and her group did for a charity auction (see her pic) and I think we would enjoy. It's called Morning Star and is on Quilter's Cache.

I promise that this one will be easy enough for any of us, but still quite dramatic. We'll be doing the 12.5" finished size. That means the squares will be 9.5" and the sashings 3.5 width.

Jeweltones for the blocks, please. Amethysts, ruby, topaz, emerald, sapphire, that's the idea. Solids, tone on tone, patterns...... just so the fabric really reads a jeweltone. We don't want distracting backgrounds popping out.

I'd suggest using a very dark sashing material like black, forest green, deep navy blue, dark burgundy for contrast against the jeweltone blocks.

I know neutrals seem to be most popular but we need to keep the parts of the star consistent so white or WOW should be used. I'll sew up a sample block in a day or two and post the pic to show how this comes together.

The pattern block is on Quilter's Cache and is called Morning Star.

The standard rules apply. All material used should be 100% cotton. If the blocks are around smoke or pets, please sponge out before sending. Include a dollar (no matter how many blocks you send, just one dollar) to cover packaging and postage when it's sent to the winner. You may submit up to three blocks and will get a chance for every block you submit. The winner will be drawn the first of September. Put your block(s) in a plastic baggie to protect them and include your forum name, and your name and address in case you win and mail it to me so I receive it by the last day of August. Any late blocks will be sent on to the winner, but you will miss your chance to be drawn.

Have fun, good luck. I'll email my address when you sign up for the drawing and tell me how many blocks you think you might be doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Star

Comments (35)