SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Loves2read . . .

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

I noticed that you mentioned on the "One Kings Lane" thread that you were in the process of buying a second home in Florida near your daughter. You also mentioned that you weren't bringing much to furnish it from your present home.

I just wanted to suggest an alternative to furnishing your home via mail order or through local stores. Having formerly lived in Florida and with my parents having a second home down there for many years themselves, I know that if you're willing to by used furnishings, Florida has got to be - hands down - the best place in the country to find very good quality, gently used furniture, art, dinnerware, patio pieces, gardening necessities and accessories for very reasonable prices. You need to hit the yard, garage and estate sales.

Many, many retirees come down every month and buy beautiful new things to furnish their Florida homes. They eventually age and need to either move back "Up North" near family, into assisted living places or whatever and suddenly there's a lot of things that they or their families need to get rid of quickly.

I furnished my (then) 2-bedroom condo with beautiful, high-quality furnishings for very reasonable prices back in my single days. I still love to check out the local estate and yard sales whenever I'm there visiting my parents and the glut of available things has not diminished.

I know that in the next few years we'll be selling my parent's Florida home and much of their furnishings, too . . . for great prices, just because they won't need it when they downsize and move back to Michigan full-time again to be near family.

Anyhoo, just a suggestion.

Lynn

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!