SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
customdecorator

Les, Squirrel and others, should I re-do the bathroom? pics

customdecorator
15 years ago

Hi guys, you both have helped me tremoundsly in the past and I am back for more advice. This is our downstairs bathroom. I saw this wallpaper in a model home 5 years ago and fell in love with it, but wondering now if it looks too dated. It's not as busy as it appears in the pics. I am thinking of painting it BM Olive Branch like Monablair has in her guest bathroom and way toying with the idea if I should do wainscoating or not. Any advice would be great. My only fear is that I so used to the wallpaper that it might look too "plain" w/out it.

Thanks!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I'm not Les or Squirrel, but I think the wallpaper looks lovely in your half bath. If you're not tired of it why worry if someone else thinks it's dated. To me it's timeless looking and befitting your vanity and other decor.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

If that's a Cary Lind wallpaper, I had it in my sitting room and breakfast area. When I decided to sell, I knew it would have to be removed, and held back the tears as I ripped it off. I had it up for 7 years, had many compliments, and never felt it was dated. It was just too personalized when trying to sell a house

I think it looks fabulous in your bath! If YOU love it, keep it!!!

• Related Discussions

How do I cover this hole in bathroom ceiling? Pic included

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh the fabulousness of what I call schoolhouse paperboard ceilings!!! They were all over my first floor in one form or another thanks to a previous home owner who thought lowering the ceilings would save on heating bills (I'm blaming the infamous Mr.G!) - I've torn out the ones in the Living Room, Dining Room and Library - still have them in the back of the house - kitchen and back entry in a larger format, and my office ceiling looks just like yours. If you have to just patch, look in a closet to see if there's a piece you can cut to patch - but tearing them out and replacing them with drywall is so satisfying! If you can't patch in a tile, your solutions are to cover it, or just fill it with drywall compound similar to patching a hole in drywall - it's not pretty, so it gives you motivation to do it right and tear it out! ;-) Next up for removal in my house is the kitchen/back entry - which also gives us access the very scary wiring between the paperboard ceilings and the original plaster ones 18inches above. That Mr.G - he was a genius at wiring! Just look at the photo of the live wire cutting the corner over the bathtub of our 1950s Bathroom From Hell for proof of that! (First photo in Starting From Dirt thread) Old houses, gotta love them or burn them down! ;-) Always ;-) Hunzi Keeper of the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Renovations
    ...See More

Do I need to match cabinet hardware to other bathroom fixtures?

Q

Comments (6)
    Katherine, Share some pics of your existing cabs and BR finishes and your choices- we love voting! I spent months (cuz it took us over a year to do our Basement BR) picking hardware to match. I did get all shiny chrome and love how it all relates. But my existing upstairs cabinet hardware doesn't match the fixtures at all, and I never gave it a second's thought when we bought the house, and I would hazard a guess that no one has ever even noticed. Think of the cabinets as furniture- I bet you have rooms in your house where the furniture hardware does not all match!
    ...See More

2 out of 4 bathrooms done...we're getting there (pics)!

Q

Comments (17)
    The curved shower rods - if you have one, try Home Goods. They usually carry several at ours, in a few finishes (I know I've seen lots of nickel and ORB). I've seen quite a few ORB ones at TJ Maxx as well. Shower curtains - in natural texture bathrooms, I'm partial to PBS textiles. I can't get enough of the natural fibers. (I've even used a pair of their window panels to make an extra long shower curtain in our master bath). I know they're everyday, but I can't help it. Their mineral raynier line is coming to mind. Here's a close-up of the fabric. I have this line of curtains in a different color scheme and the striping is much more subtle, this is greatly magnified.
    ...See More

It's DONE and I *love* it! Bathroom re-do pics!

Q

Comments (55)
    Reno fan, I haven't been on GW in forever. And I popped on tonight to find some inspiration, and here is your GORGEOUS bathroom. Wow. It is just beautiful. I have that same Bosporus fabric picked out for roman blinds for our laundry room. Now you've motivated me. This is SOOOO the look I am going for in my laundry room. My cab's in there are a sage-ish/olivey green with brown glaze, and the machines are deep red. I troweled joint compound onto the walls (tinted a gold color) and then washed A brown smoke stain over the walls. So while my laundry is different than your bathroom, they have a similar feel. *note to self: go purchase my roman blind fabric... pronto!!). Thanks for the inspiration. Can't believe i found something so perfect, so quickly. Always enjoy seeing your home(s). So happy you shared. :o)
    ...See More
  • Dora Vann Snider
    15 years ago

Why not do the wainscoating and keep the paper above it if you feel you need a change. I think the paper is gorgeous.

It is beautiful the way it is.
    Some things are never dated and that is one of them!

DL

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Oh, I would LOVE to have wallpaper like that in our hall bath (or anywhere else for that matter). No way Hubby would ever go for it, though. It's absolutely gorgeous.

You might want to consider unifying all the metal finishes, though. I'm seeing shiny gold, bronze, silver and maybe one or two others.

• customdecorator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks I still really like it, but have painted the entry and hallways and different color now and wondering if it still "goes". Not sure if it is a Carry Lind, I think I ordered it from wallpaperusa.com

Yes, I do need to unify the fixtures. The mirror (see pic below) was the one that was in the bathroom, it was my grandmothers and I put it in the entry way for now to see if I liked it better and the faucet is rubbed oil bronze, so I just need to get the rest of it in the bronze color.

As far as DH goes, I do things when he is away snowmobiling for the weekend, whenever I tell him I want to do a project he doesn't think it will look good, and voila when he comes home he is surprised.

Please help me with some decor, I painted this weekend and just put everything back in place, but not loving the look
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Love the wallpaper, dont remove it!!!!!!!

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I like it just the way it is but if you're tired of it then olive and wainscoating sound very nice.

• les917
    15 years ago

I think the wallpaper is striking - great colors. I would keep it, but update the valance to something with a lighter background, and also put in lighter towels. A rug on the floor would be nice, too. Having some lighter items would make the white fixtures not seem to be quite as much of a contrast. I do think the little hanging lamp over the toilet is lost - I would like to see a large framed print there.

Your entry vignette has good elements, but I think they don't all fit together. I would move the chest to the right just a little, so it doesn't feel like it is hiding in the corner. The lamp would be better on the left,, to carry the eye from the taller stair to the next taller lamp down to the top of the chest. But I am also not crazy about the finish of that with the mirror, and the mirror is a bit small.

I would try to find a taller, more curvy mirror to compliment the curves in the chest. Keep the lamp, but move it to the left side and change the shade to something dark that compliments the stair carpet runner and dark wood.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh, that stairwell looks rich! I feel the need for some of the rich color up higher, say, where the narrow artwork is. Can a more substantial, richly colored piece go there? Maybe same looking into the lr. You know I'd trim out those doorways, too, with beautiful substantial mouldings : )

Beautiful colors. Love that runner : )

The bathroom still looks very pretty, if you still like it. Maybe change out the valance as Les suggested above. I can certainly see painting it olive, with your hallway, for a crisp updated look, or doing wainscotting below, as suggested, would be gorgeous -- if you feel the need for change. Although you did say the hall color has changed. What color is it now?

Seems Ralph Lauren still uses those floral prints, so I wouldn't think of it as dated. Just maybe a lot of people are on to other things these days, as is the usual : )

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I'm not usually a fan of wallpaper, but I love yours! I like Les' suggestions to move things around a bit. The brass frame does not go with everything else. I love the idea of a picture for over the toilet, also changing out the valance and towels. I think you have enough green in the background and would like to see you bring in a complimentary color, like the rose in the cabbage roses. I think a striped valance in similar colors on a decorative rod would look lovely. Do you sew?

With your entry, I'd prefer to see a set of three prints (like botanicals) staggered up the staircase rather than the single vertical picture. I love your stairway runner. If you wanted to lighten the staircase a bit you could consider painting just the railings your trim color, though I think it looks fine as is. Casing around your living room entry would be a nice touch as well since it looks like there is wainscotting in the living room, the LR entry looks a tad nekked.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

OK, I'll dissent...IMO the wallpaper doesn't seem to fit in with your lovely home, even if it looks less busy in person. I think it takes away from the vanity and mirror as a focal point. I'd take it down for sure.

Susan ~

• haberichter
    15 years ago

I don't think the wallpaper really fits in with the rest of your house either. But I'm not a wallpaper fan and I find the print to be too busy for my taste.

If you aren't sure, just wait and see how much you keep thinking about it. That's how I decide on projects - if I can't get it off my mind, I know I have to change it.

• norasnews
    15 years ago

I love the wallpaper, and agree the only "dated" item would be the valance. I was recently on the bathroom gallery and there are lots of pictures of strong wallpaper.. toile, floral, etc.. both with and without wainscotting.

I came so close to using a gorgeous black and white floral paper, but at $100/roll, couldn't justify the expense!! So I went the cheaper route with paint.

Since you already paid for your wallpaper, and love it, spend your $$$ on a different update.. like adding the wainscott, or new mirror/valance.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Hi,

I love the wall paper! I agree with a lot of the suggestions made. This is a beautiful bathroom- I esp like your personal touches.

In terms of refreshing it, I'd try hanging all of the pictures above the toilet in a group, as they all look antique and grouped together they not only make a more powerful statement but also clear off some areas (you could move some of your florals from the ledge to the wood cabinet where one of the pictures is now). I'd change the towels out to an off-white linen with the green from your wallpaper as a piping (ha, I can see how that might be hard to find, but if you sew or have a friend that sews, you can add your monogram in that color to some nice linen towels and it would look great). I'd change the valance out to an off white linen or a pale green ticking (not too busy).

That's it, because I really love this bathroom!

• customdecorator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow!!! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I'm gonna have to print this out so I can remember it all! As far as the staircase, it used to be an ugly fake oak color/stain and after I saw what Georgiagal did with the Minwax Polyshades on hers, I wanted to do it on mine, although when I win the lottery and have my dream home, it will be white rails, lol

Les- As far as a valance and rug for the bathroom, any suggestions as far as style or color?I saw a pic of newhombuliders staircase, not sure if it is in her new or old house, but she has a bombe chest with some books and a smaller candle lamp on it. I found one that I have and put it there, switched out the mirrors in the bathroom (will probably end up finding something I love, but for now and my budjet gotta go with what I have) and it's the same finish as the lamp base. Should I keep the flowers there? Pic below

Squirel- The pic of the stairs and hallway is the new paint color, BM Spice Gold, but with the sun comming through and the flash on the camera it makes it look peachish in the pics. You helped photoshop my family room last year and it's the color I ended up choosing. I wanted to continue it to the other communal areas to show continuity, just took me forever to get up the desire to do it!

Valinsv-Yes I sew, but would prefer to find something ready made at this point, I could make a regular valance, but not sure I would do any justice to something with finge or tassels. As far as having pics staggered like you mentioned, do you think they should be on the wall where the single print is maybe 1 foot apart and 3-4" higher for each one? or on the other stairway wall that you can't really see in the pic?

Yes, I completely agree with the moulding around the entry to the living room, also want to do it for the fm dining room, it's on my honey do list. I should just go take a class at Home Depot for cutting angles and get it done myself, lol

A couple changes
    {{!gwi}}

These little chests were hiding in the living room, not sure if they look silly on the stairs though
    {{!gwi}}

To the right of the chest, takes you into the kitchen and family room, wallpapered bathroom is to the right of the framed pics

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I'm not crazy about bringing the silver into the foyer mix. The size and shape look good though.

I'm not sure you really need to fill everything out, or have all accessories facing and viewed from the entrance. The staircase and colors look so pretty, as does the chest. Sure doesn't look like enough room for the trunks, without creating a tripping hazard or tight spot, too.

I think this looks very pretty and simple, letting your stair and chest be the focus. Darker value mirror on the landing wall. Maybe there's enough room for a small vase with some tall branches or green stalks? Doesn't quite look like enough for that either, though.

Hard to tell from here, but if it looks too bare overall, maybe a few gallery pics going up the stairs?

(And the doorbell is now painted : )

• customdecorator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do like the the idea of a thin vase, should I maybe put some of those (can't remember the exact name now) reed sticks?

I keep going back to georgiagals entry and stairway and seeing if I can incorporate anything similiar.

I also have this table that's in the formal living room, but not sure if it would be too long for that wall
    {{!gwi}}

And, I purchsed this from Red Envelope and have not placed it anywhere yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgiagal's House

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

No way, Jose. That bathroom is beautiful. As is the rest of your house. :)

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

First off, I think you are off to a wonderful start and have some lovely items to work with.

I love the little boxes, but they don't really work where you've placed them. For the staggered pictures I had suggested for your staircase, I envision it along the back wall that you've shown in the pictures so that they may be viewed from your entryway. For actual placement, it would depend on the size of the pics (something like 16x20 should work well though). I'd mock it up with cardboard though to see what stagger, height gives you the best view from the various angles of your entryway and go with that. I have just finished framing some botanicals of mine that I have purchased on eBay and thinking where best in my home to showcase them since they look best grouped together. I've seen some lovely examples like I described to you, unfortunately I have a one-story home. That narrow vertical pic needs to go on a narrow wall or paired with a similar picture as it's too narrow all by itself. I like where squirrel placed it, though I still prefer to see a mirror over the bombe chest. I agree with squirrel that the nickel does not really work too well with your more traditional entry decor. Whatever finish you choose for the mirror should be echoed in the frames for any pictures. That is one thing I have been working on in my house presently, getting all the frames to be more cohesive. It really helps to unify the space.

I do like the flower arrangement and books. I've been looking for some old books to use in my decor as well. As for your stairway, it looks to be a huge improvement over what you described it looked like before.

• customdecorator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Organic!

Here are the mirrors we have above our master bath. Do you think this style will look good above the bombe? and one possibly for the bathroom vanity downstairs?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• customdecorator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I keep remembering things I have that are not displayed. I have this picture, it is 36" long by 28" tall

{{!gwi}}

So, I could use it on the stairs, or use the sofa table in the entry with the picture above it?

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Bingo...sofa table with painting. I have always loved that painting. (love your master bath!)

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

with the storage cases underneath the sofa table

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I absolutely love that wallpaper and my vote is leave it as is. How could it go out of style? It's gorgeous! If I could twinkle my nose ala Genie and have my hall bath look like that, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• customdecorator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's very kind of you Oceana. I have seen pics of your home and if I could twinkle my nose, it would be my home, lol

Ok, here is what I have done so far. Sofa table is too large for entry, so going to Costco Home tomm to get another mirror similar to the one upstairs unless I find another one, but still clueless on what kind of artwork I should use on the stairway.

As far as the bathroom, today I got a new valance in a gold color with tassels, ivory towels and moved the long pic in the entry above the toilet, cleared out the window decorations and some of the other pics and it looks awesome, and bigger w/out all the clutter!

My only concern regarding a print in the entry is the reflection from the large window above the door. Maybe a tapestry?

• brutuses
    15 years ago

It is my understanding that guest bath's don't have to "fit" in with the rest of the house. I've heard many designers say it's the room to experiment in. My new bath is a lot different from the rest of my house. It's old French antigue and the rest of the house, well it's a mystery as of now. LOL I don't think the wainscoting would look good with that paper. The paper by itself is pretty and if you like it, keep it. If you decide to tear it down, then some white wainscoting with a color above will look great also.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Wow! Thank you Customdecorator -- you just made my day! If you lived near here I think we'd have a lot of fun helping each other with our houses. A couple of other names come to mind too of folks here who like the same styles. Your home looks beautiful to me. I want to do to my stairs what you did with yours. Also, please, what is that color on the walls in the photo with the baby pics on the wall, where you say it leads into your kitch and FR ... maybe it's the same color as your entry. Anyway, it looks rich and warm and I'd like to know the brand and color please?

• ideamom
    15 years ago

If you love the wallpaper keep it but if your wanting to sell your home...remove it. IMHO I think it looks busy in the bathroom. I would like to see it with a more serene palate.

• customdecorator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oceanna, it is BM Spice Gold, the color card makes it seem so dark, but it's not at all. The first coat goes on pretty dark, but after the second coat it's fine. I would say the eating area is the most accurate color. It is the same color in the hallway by the stairs, where the entry table ,where the kids pics are and in the family room and kitchen, oh an upstairs spare bath. Based on the lighting it looks different. I wanted all the same color, but at this time did not want to repaint kitchen/family room. If I was willing to repaint, I would have done SW Restrained Gold.

{{!gwi}}

Still trying to find the right light fixture
    {{!gwi}}

I used the polyshades on the staircase on and the spare vanity upstairs in the pic. I used Bombay Mahogany. I would recommend using the cherry color, the Bom Mah is way too dark. I wish I would have painted the vanity a chocolate color, it would have been easier. The stain is very hard to work with as it is extremely thick and gooey.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That is such a beautiful color.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area