SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Helping elderly parent with sale, frustrating

Pipersville_Carol
16 years ago

My mother is planning to sell her townhouse next summer and move to a retirement community. Her home is in a beautiful neighborhood and should fetch over $250k, but the kitchen countertops need replacing (20-year-old white formica, stained and scratched). The rest of the unit is in good condition. New carpet, fresh paint etc. We just spent several days restoring the finish on the kitchen cabinets and updating the hardware. She even went to a recent nearby open house to check out the competition, so it seems like she's fully ready to sell.

But she's balking at new countertops. I'm trying to be respectful because it's really none of my business, but I just KNOW that spending a little bit on new formica would have a huge impact. It's frustrating to watch someone make a financial mistake.

I'm mostly looking for commiseration, I've resigned myself to being supportive of whatever she decides to do. Has anyone else out there helped an elderly parent sell a house? Got any advice that'll help me keep my blood pressure from spiking?

Comments (19)