SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itlajfk

Floor Covering decisions for 200 year old farmhouse

Jo-Ann
12 years ago

I could really use some input/suggestions to help me out with my flooring dilemma. We have a very old farmhouse that we've been painstakingly renovating for the past 4 years. We blew our budget on important stuff, like the roof, siding, insulation, new windows, heating, wiring, etc., and we're now trying to tastefully finish the interior (doing all the labor ourselves), but keeping the costs to a minimum.

We're in the country, on the banks of a river and we have dogs. We made the decision to tile pretty much the entire ground level. Upstairs, a different story. The master bedroom and the hallway/landing are in a dark reddish hardwood. The hardwood strips vary in tone between a pretty dark red brown and a lighter, almost orangey colour in places.

My problem is deciding on what to do in the other three bedrooms and the bathroom on this floor. One of the 'bedrooms' is going to be my craft room, the other two will be bedrooms. I would like to keep the flooring the same in all the rooms if possible, although I accept we'll have to do something different in the bathroom. I really don't want carpet, and I've pretty much resigned myself to something other than tile in the bathroom. Tile on the second floor of a house as old as this one presents some expensive structural challenges that we don't want to deal with.

SO - my question is, what do you think would work here? AND, what would be affordable and installable by us? We're pretty handy and have installed all the other flooring ourselves (tile & hardwood), but neither of us want to take on marmoleum (or carpet, even if I did like it....)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comments (4)