SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelaid

This is beyond ludicrious!

angelaid
14 years ago

"The federal government is taking on the maker of Cheerios. The FDA says if the whole-grain cereal is going to tout its health benefits, then its a drug, and it needs FDA approval. Cheerios has been advertising that it can lower cholesterol levels. That is not disputed by health experts, who say whole-grain cereals are crucial to a healthy diet..."

Comments (9)

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Crazy, unbelieveable...well, maybe not, they're taking over so many private companies. Kinda scary.

• rthummer
    14 years ago

Quaker oats company use to say they lower cholesterol levels. Do they still run those commercials or did the FDA stop that also? I do remember those commercials, though.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Posted by kathsgrdn: "Crazy, unbelieveable...well, maybe not, they're taking over so many private companies. Kinda scary."

The government is not 'taking over' the cereal company.

------------

The FDA has rules that say that a product, any food or drug product, cannot make any medical benefits claims regarding it's use, without proof and scientific studies to back it up.

There is a procedure to follow to allow a product to be sold making claims for health benefits. Many companies have followed the criteria and are allowed to print the health benefits on their packaging.

FDA stands for the Food and Drug Administration. They regulate all food and drug advertising and packaging - nothing new here. They regulate the safety of our food and drugs too.

All they are saying is that Cheerios cannot advertise that it "lowers cholesterol" any more than they could advertise it to "grow hair" or "make you smarter" or "cure AIDS".

The FDA is ordering them to stop advertising it as a cholesterol reducer or go through proper channels to scientifically prove that eating Cheerios really can lower cholesterol. (But it can't and everyone knows that.)

• wildchild
    14 years ago

It's about time. Now if only they would do the same with the vitamin and nutritional supplement industry.

Unfortunately those are not considered food or drugs so are allowed to get away with all their bizarre claims.

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

Agreed, WC! They need to crack down on the vitamin and nutrition industry. For example, calcium,which many women take. The mg of calcium may be the same but the cheap brand may be bound together with a lacquer of sorts instead of more expensive, water soluable product, the cheap pills may never break down so that the cacium can be absorbed.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Dilly Dally I never said they were taking over the Cereal company. I said I wasn't surprised since they are taking over OTHER companies. I just find the government interferring in private companies scary.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I find it even more scary that if you read the fine print on the Cheerios and the former Quaker Oats ads, they have you eating a massive amount of grains. If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, that's just not a good diet decision! It's just way too many carbs, whether whole grain or not.

Who wants to eat 3 cups of Cheerios a day? But the last commercial I saw advocated that in the fine print. That would seriously tip my pre-diabetic, 140 lb, not overweight husband into a blood sugar overload.

Yes, the FDA should limit the company's claims. Cheerios, a whole grain product, is a wonderful food. But the claims they make are ridiculous, and not healthy for everyone. That's where the FDA comes in.

Cheerios are a fine food - but the amount one would have to eat daily to lower blood cholesterol levels is about 6 servings, or 3 cups. Where will the rest of your nutrients come from? Breakfast - Cheerios. Lunch - Cheerios. ICK - pale colored diets of any sort aren't good for you.

The FDA isn't going after Quaker or General Mills, they are just going after the stupid and misleading advertising.

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

Common sense - whatever happed to it?

• hapyfrustrated
    14 years ago

Oh good grief! The government needs to back off and get their noses out of everything. The more they control, the less rights we have. It's just common sense. Do you want them to come into your job and say that you are making too much money and put a cap on it??? I think not! Think about it, the more they butt in, the closer they are to knocking on your front door and demanding you let them in.