SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_s_mom

My lesson in thermal shock

chloe_s_mom
15 years ago

AND THANK GOODNESS IT WASN'T MY GRANITE! Still, a lesson none the less.

I was starting to experiment with the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day, as was discussed on the Rhome410 thread re her new ovens.

I'd been talked down from simply tossing water into the oven (the video is a bit misleading, the book is clear - hee hee!), and had used a cookie sheet to hold the water. But, I'd often miss or the sheet would go TWANG and launch water. My thoughts this past Saturday, no broiler pan within reach, let's use a deep pyrex dish.

Heated up the oven WITH the pyrex in it. Opened up the oven, put in the bread. Took a cup of tap water and tossed it into the pyrex. BOOM! It exploded. Into scortching hot shards and chunks (so I discovered when I grabbed pieces with my bare hands - I know, second stupid thing in a row).

So that was my lesson in thermal shock and a reminder that my countertops are not impervious to cracking (presumably not exploding - hee hee!) at drastic heat changes.

(In case you were wondering, the bread was quite good, despite being baked a while later - couldn't get the oven door shut with all of the glass in the crease).

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor