SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hestia_flames

Crazy idea for blind corner base?

hestia_flames
15 years ago

I've been struggling with how to most maximize the space I have in a blind corner base (and I have also been wanting an appliance lift I thought I couldn't fit in) - the cabinet I currently have has two quarter moon pull outs that are attached to the face frame of the cabinet in a somewhat odd fashion. High quality, but it doesn't maximize the space well. I have read all the posts here, but had an inspiration (sort of a "you're chocolate is in my peanut butter" moment), and was wondering if I was crazy, or is this a good idea?

The blind corner is full height opening without a drawer. This is the only cabinet I could put an appliance lift into. However the opening is about 24 inches. The cabinets are solid, with plywood sides and a recessed top (about a half an inch below the surface.) The Rev-A-Shelf appliance lift calls for an 18 inch cabinet. I would have to build out (for the lift) about an inch on the left side, as the cabinets are face frame. That still leaves me with 5 inches to the right - the lift requires it to be mounted 6 inches below the opening of the cabinet. I was playing with the idea of building a frame to the right (into part of the remaining 30 inches or so to the right) which would hopefully fully support the lift (supported by the back/top/sides of the cabinet to the right.) However, there would be no support below on the right. I do have a frame I built as a spacer between the corner cabinet and the 12 inch cabinet next to the blind corner. I plan on screwing into this as well. I would face the interior frame (that would be partially viewable when the door it open) with some veneer. I would also install two drawers that I could pull out from the blind corner when the lift is up. (I am referencing a photo from msteinen's kitchen which shows the drawers I am talking about.)

Is this crazy, or do you think it is doable? I guess I am concerned about supporting the weight enough, the main question being would I compromise the cabinet with a fully loaded Kitchenaid Mixer, lets say, kneading bread dough? Should I add posts below next to the cabinet, much as a doorway would be supported, or is this too much? If I do that, I know that I will have to have smaller drawers, and lose "stuff" down in that space. Am I crazy? Thanks.

Hestia_Flames

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)