SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Bamboo shade or plantation shutter owners, please give input

avesmor
11 years ago

I have matching windows in my kitchen and great room (share a wall, and visible to each other) that are about 70x70. I don't know the right term for it, but each has three smaller windows within a single frame. We are completely split between bamboo shades, plantation shutters or wide slat blinds. Of the three, I've only ever had blinds, so I would really appreciate some practical "love it/hate it" information on the others.

Bamboo shades - I like their looks the best. So much texture, and I like the unevenness. BUT I'm not sure if it would be a PITA to have to move them up & down each time I wanted to adjust lighting (e.g. no "tilt" mechanism). I've also spoken with a rep at Smith+Noble who thought a 70" blind would be too heavy (she suggested we could go with 3 small ones, but I have visions of them never lining up nicely...)

Blinds - I know they're handy and convenient, but they're kinda ugly and... ugly. Why doesn't one of these window treatment companies come up with a bamboo blind?? :)

Plantation shutters - my 2nd favorite for looks. I like that they tilt, and I like the chunky/wide slats for our fairly large windows, but are they a pain to "fold" open if you want the window completely clear? How about cleaning - PITA? We have a young'en too, and I like that they'd be easy for her to open (tilt).

{{!gwi}}, it's a model house that really needs a better decorator ;), but these are the windows we have. I'm posting this pic because it shows three smaller blinds used for the single window, as suggested by Smith+Noble. I think it would bother me.

Oh also for consideration - each window has "antiqued satin" panels in a dark muddy green color, and slightly oiff white cotton voile sheers. I'd prefer to keep the WTs for their color/texture. (I know some people hate WTs with plantation shutters, etc.)

I'll see if I have some pics of my windows, if not I will take some later and post. TIA!!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths