SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deaniesue

Will we need a new roof for buyer to get insurance?

deaniesue
12 years ago

After putting a few thousand dollars into our house (paint, new tile, kitchen backsplash, new faucets, etc.) to pretty it up we got an offer from our 2nd showing. It is pretty low....$13,000 lower than our list price of $165,000. Buyer was concerned with the age of roof (16 years on a 20 year roof). We realize this is going to be a concern for buyers. We have a new AC/Heating system, newer appliances, and we are replacing the carpeting in the bedrooms (the only place there is carpet). So pretty much this is the only forceable future expense.

So, here is my question. In talking to the realtor last night she said that she thinks the roof is going to be an issue with any buyer because they won't be able to get homeowners insurance since the roof is old. Why she waited until last night to bring it up...I don't know. My husband doesn't believe her. He feels she just likes to spend our money (wanted us to get granite counter tops, replace light fixtures, etc.) and since the roof doesn't have any problems (leaks or anything) that the new owners shouldn't have any trouble getting a policy since we were able to get a policy last year with the same roof.

Anyone have experience or insight on this issue?

Separately, I am also concerned that the realtor had us do a "seller's invitation to submit a new offer" instead of countering. She made it sound standard and no big deal. But, now I'm concerned it makes it seem like we aren't taking the offer seriously....which isn't the case. If it helps, we are in Texas.

Thanks!!!!!

Comments (19)