SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
jockewing

Need help 'staging' a house to sell

jockewing
11 years ago

Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away a few weeks ago. I was very close to her so this has been hard. She did however, leave me with a wonderful gift of a financial and real estate inheritance. I am in the process of going through the probate of the estate, which should take another month or so, and at the end of that, I will be the new owner of her home.

The house is in a nice neighborhood. It is about 1800 square feet with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a dining room, living room, eat-in kitchen, and family room. My grandparents were exceptionally clean people, so the house is in pristine condition. Just got a new air condtioning system and wall to wall carpeting last year. The only "problem" is the house was built in '83, so there is still the popcorn ceiling, dark stained trim, not really an "open-concept" floor plan. I will have enough money to put a bit into freshening it up, but I wanted to know where I should spend the money for the greatest impact. The house already has nice curb appeal as my grandmother had a lovely garden.

The kitchen, foyer and bathrooms have linoleum flooring, so I was thinking at the very least I could have inexpensive tile put down. I also know that some of the light fixtures need to go, but that's a pretty easy and inexpensive change. I know the peach floral wallpaper in the guest bathroom will have to disappear as well. Do you think it's worth the expense and trouble to have all of the trim painted white? Are there any other areas that I should pay attention to?

Honestly, I guess I really need to make the decision whether I should sell my current house and live in hers. It is larger than mine in a nicer neighborhood. I just don't want to have to spend the money to renovate it to get it just the way I want it.

Comments (15)