SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mother_one

Frisco, Texas? North of Dallas...

Mother_One
17 years ago

Okay this might be long, but I will try to say this in as few words as possible. :p

I have been on the gardenweb forums for about 3 years now and I always get such awesome insights from everyone. Started on the kitchen forums and got so much great info and our kitchen turned out perfect. Then we did a major addition and added on a master bedroom with a bathroom and added an entryway(basically added about 500 sq ft) and that has all turned out wonderfully. And now here we are...

My husband, who has been working way too hard lately to pay for all this we have done, in a great neighborhood in Southern California by the way, has been thinking about selling the house and using our chunk of equity to by a house in the Dallas area. Someone mentioned we should look at Frisco, also my husband's mom lives in Sherman, and he could have a job prospect in Dallas. Now what is a girl to do? A girl, I might add, that has never lived out side of Southern California, ever. Is this something we should even consider? We have 3 school age children and are fairly young ourselves.

Some of my questions:

Will there be things for us to do out there?

Will the weather(heat/humidity) keep my kids from wanting to play outside?

Are the schools in the area nice?

Would a commute from Frisco to Dallas be too far?

Are there good tech jobs closer to Frisco?

Are the higher property taxes and HOAs going to feel burdensome?

I also wanted to ask about racism, since when I tell people we are thinking about Texas, they always seem to bring it up. I am white and my husband is white and filipino. I just can't imagine this being an issue, but it could be I guess.

Of course, we need to check out the area first for ourselves, but any insider info would be so helpful. I know people don't like Cali people coming and invading their neighborhoods, but they just look like such a GOOD deal from where we are! I just want to be able to see my husband once in awhile and have him able to spend time with the kids, and with our bills right now, it's just not possible for him to catch his breath. I know we have great weather and all but I don't think that is a good trade off. BUT I also don't want to be stupid and move us somewhere where we won't be happy. And I like the size of the houses out there, but great shelter in a bad environment isn't worth it either. Or a great house size, but poor quality isn't good either. There are just alot of unknowns that go along with moving to a new place, so any help would be deeply appreciated.

Comments (51)

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kerri, I went ahead and posted over there.

Hmmm, I just found out that the job prospect in Dallas fell through. We are still thinking of moving though because with the lower cost of living, my husband may be able to concentrate on his own business, where as here in California, to keep our house, he would be hard pressed to make enough income solely on that. Right now he has a job AND a business on the side.

Any info would still be of great help. Thanks. :)

• sweeby
    17 years ago

I'm originally a No. Cal. girl, and we lived in the Dallas suburbs for a while (Coppell, not Frisco), and here's my perspective.

IMO, Dallas is "where the South meets the MidWest" with all of the good, and the bad, that this implies. The weather is hot, but not super humid. So long as you have a big tree, a swimming pool and working A/C, you'll be fine. (Houston is another story -- HUMID -- but otherwise lovely.)

There are tons of young families in Frisco, and a California personality is not so different from a Texas perspective that you'll have too much trouble. (Though a surprisingly large proportion of my closest friends are transplanted Californians...)

The race issue will probably not be a big problem. There are some social conservative types, and those views are widely tolerated, but most people know better. My 'exhole' was Chinese American, so my older son is half Chinese (looks more than half, less than 100%). He's never experienced anything more than a curious question, but as a green-eyed blond, I've been asked several times how old he was when we 'got' him. I do enjoy the dumb look on people's faces when I answer that my son is not adopted.

Schools and commutes -- Well, those are certainly subjective. With the price differences between CA & TX, you could certainly buy a nice place 'closer in' than Frisco. When I left the area, Frisco was considered an 'outer' suburb, and the highways weren't all that well developed. I'm not sure what the commute is now, but if that's an issue, you could look at any number of other suburban areas that have shorter commutes. It's MUCH easier to drive OUT from town to visit relatives on the weekends than it is to drive IN every morning during rush hour.

Property taxes in TX area bear. On a $500K house, you could easily pay $10K per year in property tax. However, you would pay nothing in income tax -- that's the trade-off.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Related Discussions

Best places to buy vegetable plants locally in North Dallas area

Q

Comments (1)
    Try contacting Shsdes of Green Nursery, www.shadesofgreeninc.com, or Cottonwood Creek Nursery, both in Frisco. They would either have what you need, or be able to steer you in the right direction.
    ...See More

Hey Dallas/Frisco!! Ready for the BISON invasion?!?!?!

Q

Comments (2)
    We play the Sam-Houston Bearkats! They're in effect the "Home team" since they're not too far away from Frisco. I think our team/coaches, etc., are staying at the Embassy Suites in Frisco. As many as TEN-THOUSAND Bison Fans and Alum's from all over will be at the game I've read!!! Faron Here is a link that might be useful: Some NDSU Players in hotel....
    ...See More

Pool Build in Frisco, Texas

Q

Comments (36)
    Our pumps are running and we should be swimming tomorrow yahoo!! Titan should be onsite next week to highlight and seal our stamped concrete. Hi tiascott - thanks for the post I gave a price range a little further up in the message thread. We are still finishing up on a few things before it is all said and done. Waterford Pools is our pool company and the quality of work has been exceptional. Milestones are not always met on time but sometimes there is no way to control that. If you would like more information on the process we went through or our PB feel free to email me. tracy_1@hotmail.com
    ...See More

North Dallas Builder Suggestons

Q

Comments (14)
    If you Google Pool Builder Dallas TX some of the first names that come up are Anthony Sylvan and Blue Haven. They are national builders that build in many cities. Some cities they're okay, most they're not. I haven't used them personally, but I've read enough bad things to stay away. My neighbor used Blue Haven, had a problem after the pool was installed and is getting the run around. I would go with a local custom builder who will work with your budget. 30k isn't bad but it's a basic pool, you're not going to get any upgraded features such as custom decking or PebbleTec plaster or anything like that. You're going to get aggregate decking and white plaster. And no spa. That's fine if that's what you want. Don't just look at designs and cost, look at the materials and processes that each company uses. What's their steel schedule? Plumbing schedule? What equipment are you getting? What about if they hit rock? Do they re-route sprinklers? How do they apply their gunite? Etc... There are so many factors that go into choosing a builder. Riverbend was my 2nd choice. They had the best design but lost out because I felt I wasn't getting the quality I was with another builder, and their price un-negotiated was higher.
    ...See More
  • IdaClaire
    17 years ago

I live in Fort Worth, but have also lived in Dallas - and have pretty much been in the D/FW area my entire life. My understanding of Frisco is that it is an upscale bedroom community, and it's growing quickly. I believe the median price of housing is around $275,000 - which probabhly looks darn good to a Californian! Schools have an excellent reputation.

As for racism - unfortunately it still exists, but you can safely rid yourself of any worries. We Texans are, for the most part, fairly socially and culturally advanced. ;-)

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"The weather is hot, but not super humid. So long as you have a big tree, a swimming pool and working A/C, you'll be fine."

- This is kinda what I am hoping for.

So some things I'm getting I should look for is a pool, shade trees, and somewhere where we won't put ourselves in a traffic nightmare. Though, coming from SoCal, not sure how it could be any worse! But I am thinking just distance wise and new development wise, it could be a problem, especially if he has to go into Dallas. There is a possiblity he may be able to work from home, which would be awesome. Not sure though.

What other areas should we look at? McKinney, Allen, Plano, Carrolton, Richardson, Irving... that seems to be what is between Frisco and Dallas. A middle class neighborhood with a school people are happy sending their kids to would be priority number 1, and with homes available in the 200k-250k range for a 4 or 5 bedroom house with a pool, not in the middle of nowhere. Yes, I am asking for you to help me find my personal paradise. Hehe :) Thanks for all the info so far!

• msjam2
    17 years ago

I just sent you a private email.

I live in Flowermound, I used to live in Napa, CA. After months and months of searching, I found Flowermound to be THE place to be. It's 15 minutes away from Irving and about 20 mins to Dallas.

I have never encountered racism here. I found people around me very friendly and accomodating.

School in Flowermound is highly rated, I have a 16 yr old that will be a Senior in August, Flowermound High is rated #6 in DFW (I forgot if it was DFW or the whole of TX).

My neighbor is selling his house for under 280, 3 car garage, pool and mature trees. Try Ebby.com it's a great website that helped me a lot when I was searching. If you need a realtor, let me know, my realtor worked very hard for us and listened to what we wanted, he is awesome.

My street is full of kids in the afternoon and weekends, it's awesome to see kids happily playing on the street. Flowermound's crime is almost non-existant- I heard.
    We live literally 5 minutes away from the Grapevine Mills mall, like I said we are close to everything.

I looked into buying a brand new house again, but brand new homes are a lot of work so I bought a resale- very smart on our part as the previous owners of our house spent a ton of money on it, putting a pool in, beautiful raised garden beds etc. apparently, after living in the house for 4 years, they became millionaires so they moved to a million dollar home. :)

• medula_oblongata
    17 years ago

Will there be things for us to do out there?

I don't think you will have a problem finding things to do. Frisco is a very family friendly city and the parks, baseball fields, and soccer fields are always packed every weekend. The other citys that are close also have great things to do.

Will the weather(heat/humidity) keep my kids from wanting to play outside?

I have lived in DFW my whole life so I might be accustomed to the weather but you get used to it. It's hot no doubt and you will need an A/C for sure but it never stopped me from going out.

Are the schools in the area nice?

This is one of the reasons we are currently building a home in Frisco. We have a two year old and wanted him in the best schools we could find. They may not be the absolute best but they are close from what I hear.

Would a commute from Frisco to Dallas be too far?

My wife and I both commute from Frisco to North Dallas every day. 45 min to 1 hour commute.

Are there good tech jobs closer to Frisco?

The tech market in DFW is very hot right now. My wife is a technical recuriter and she is having trouble placing people. Dot Net, ASP, C# are really hot.

Are the higher property taxes and HOAs going to feel burdensome?

The Texas government just passed some new legistlation that should help homeowners. I won't belive till I see it but at least it will be something.

I also wanted to ask about racism, since when I tell people we are thinking about Texas, they always seem to bring it up. I am white and my husband is white and filipino. I just can't imagine this being an issue, but it could be I guess.

Now this may be just because I'm younger. I'm 30 but I really don't think you will have a problem at all. None of the people I know minorites included every mention or bring up racism to me. I think sometimes Texans get a bad rap about this.

Also you can join this site, http://www.frisco-online.com , they have a great forum and many many Californians have joined and asked questions about moving from Cali to Frisco.

The town is going through some growing pains as it seems every road is under construction but I'm hoping that that will soon pass. It's not bad as probably what you are used to in Cali but some times it can be a chore getting through it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frisco Online

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"The tech market in DFW is very hot right now. My wife is a technical recuriter and she is having trouble placing people. Dot Net, ASP, C# are really hot."

-That is EXACTLY what my husband does. You can email me if she would like a copy of his resume. :)

Thanks everyone! I really do love these forums...

• medula_oblongata
    17 years ago

Just sent you an email with my wife's email address.

• allyjohn
    17 years ago

I have lived in the Dallas area for over 10 years. We moved to Flower Mound 4 years ago and love it! It is very family oriented and the town has a smart growth master plan (ex. no more apartments can be built in Flower Mound). There are actually only 3 apartment complexes in the city. It is extremely convient to Downtown (about a 30 minute commute)and DFW airport. I can also get to Ft. Worth in about 40 minutes. The schools are wonderful. Frisco is a nice place, but it is far from downtown. The traffic is terrible out there. I would be careful of Richardson and Irving since the schools seem have some problems. Do not move into the Dallas school district unless you are planning to go to private schools.

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What are the general opinions on Carrollton?

• loves2read
    17 years ago

The thing I find really a deal breaker and totally unattractive about Frisco is its topographical appearance--built on prairie land and no trees for miles except those the landscaper planted---just hate that flat aspect--totally without any relief---and it is growing like Topsy--land was cheap when it started about 5 years ago but prices are going up and people are moving further north and west---

Flower Mound/Lewisville/Coppell/Carrollton do have some native trees and variation in elevation but not an abundance--developers tended to clear cut lots of areas---but think there are neighborhoods where you have to be careful--some builders are not reputable and schools have increasing problems w/ gang, drugs, and problems w/racism---my daughter's high school volleyball team played Marcus and Lewisville HS teams and faced terrible epithets from students--the several Hispanic and Tongan girls on the team were slandered with racial slurs (my daughter they just called a b----) while the school officials sitting in stands who could hear it all did nothing to stop them---usually find fault with the officials but those games all problems were with the crowd--they were not nice--and I think that attitude comes from home atmosphere and lax/cocky administration---

If your husband will be self-employed you might think about the other side of the Metroplex--west side of Fort Worth like Aledo/Azle/Argyle/Denton area--there are great schools and shopping---access to a great downtown in Fort Worth--safer and more picturesque than Dallas--a little less hectic--pretty country

Don't think any place is really a paradise--you really have to get some good information -- especially about builders--Texas has one of the most lax building code enforcement of any of the states--and builders/contractors should be liscensed but there are not ANY requirements for knowledge or testing of skills--a person with no experience in the world can build a house---companies are not any better---

BIG PROBLEM with faulty foundation construction--land shifts and foundations crack--costs $$$$$ to repair and builders NEVER wind up paying for the costs despite any warranty they might say they provide
    You want a foundation with piered beam construction--not just a slab--make sure any house you buy has more insulation--like radient barrier roofing or blown cellulose-- than building code requires even if it seems like a lot--our energy costs are going out the roof since the state deregulated energy providers under the guise of helping the consumer---
    if I sound like I am down on Texas--I'm not--my family has lived here for over 100 years and I would not want to live anyplace else (although I have had to in the past).

• liz2
    17 years ago

Folks are forgetting to mention east side areas. Rockwall is a very nice and growing community as well. It is located on the east shores of Lake Ray Hubbard with nice homes, the lake, and good shopping.

• allyjohn
    17 years ago

Parts of Carrollton are nice, however be careful where you live since there is a landfill in the town. I would also check the schools in that area. Some are great while others are not. I hope this helps.

• dallasbill
    17 years ago

If you want to drive ab hour each way into downtown Dallas, stay in Frisco or McKinney or anything up there. If you want tract housing with no mature trees and flat land and freeways and 4-6 lane expressways -- for as far as the eye can see -- much like parts Orange County around Irvine, then live up there.

If you want to live near one of the nicest urban lakes in Dallas itself, look at Lake Highlands area by White Rock Lake. It's Richardson ISD there, which have great schools. Mature trees and rolling hills. 8 miles from downtown Dallas, 3 miles from Northpark Mall and Nordies and Needless Markup (Neiman Marcus). New to 40 year old homes, ranging from 250k to 500k. 15 minutes from Dallas Farmers Market. On the DART rail line to downtown and the Mavericks/Stars arena.

Good luck!

See www.lhaia.org

• dannie_gal
    17 years ago

Just sent you a private email. I live in Frisco and would be more than happy to answer your questions. The median age in Frisco is 30, so it is definitely a family friendly place with a highly rated school system.

Good Luck!

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"If you want to drive ab hour each way into downtown Dallas, stay in Frisco or McKinney or anything up there. If you want tract housing with no mature trees and flat land and freeways and 4-6 lane expressways -- for as far as the eye can see -- much like parts Orange County around Irvine, then live up there."

Hahah I was gonna say, you basically described where I live now hehe. My friend has said Frisco is comparable to our Irvine area, so that doesn't really sound all that bad. Irvine is a pretty nice place to live. Kinda yuppy and lots of HOAs, but it has good schools and nice neighborhoods. We actually live right now in a city probably more comparable to a Carrollton type area, well that is a guess anyway. We have good schools, but there are some bad ones too. Everything is so close together that you can be in a great neighborhood and then go down a few streets and be in a not as desirable one. I mean I like our area, but I think it would be a nice change to be somewhere that had a little bit more consistency in the area. And yeah, it is very flat where we are. And trees? Haha, our trees are pathetic compared to a lot of other areas. I guess we have a few but nothing that makes me feel the need for trees. I think I'm just looking for trees in Texas cause it makes me think of shade! :)

• txliving
    17 years ago

We recently moved to Allen and love the city! It is very family orientated and the school system is one of the best. We looked all over the metroplex when moving here and just fell in love. The Allen/Mckinney/Plano area is very diverse in housing options and you can find areas with or without HOA's. As for the comment of
    If you want tract housing with no mature trees and flat
    land and freeways and 4-6 lane expressways -- for as far
    as the eye can see -- much like parts Orange County
    around Irvine, then live up there."
    I definately do not agree, there are more trees here than I see in Dallas and I don't think that there are enough roads.
    I would check out city statistics and look at the mls boards to help make the decision. The one thing that we found when house hunting is that the foundation issue is very true. About 75% of the houses we looked at had major foundation issues and that was a red flag to us that someone had not maintained their home. It sounds funny but you HAVE to water your foundation here. I was also told that the further west you went the bigger the foundation problem was, although I don't know if that is fact. Feel free to email me if you have questions:)

• reno_fan
    17 years ago

I guess I'll be the "Eeyore" of the group. We lived in Plano, Richardson, and Dallas for years. I hated it. I hated everything about it. For me (coming from Colorado) it really *was* too hot to go outside. I hate to sweat, and it seemed that every time we went outside, it was so muggy I'd start to sweat immediately. Pools can help but we even had friends with pools who ended up not using their pools toward the mid-end of summer because the water got too warm.

The attitude in Plano (Just south of Frisco) in the late 90's-early 00's was so over the top for me. You had the soccer moms doing lines of coke (in Plano?!), and the whole atmosphere was one of greed and one-upmanship. DH and literally overheard several conversations where some moms were making fun of where other moms lived. (These were young 30's/late 20's). Frisco was up and coming at that time, so I have no personal experience there, but I still hate Plano!

I personally couldn't fathom living as far north as Frisco and commuting to Dallas. The traffic is horrendous, though probably better than CA.

I suppose it's all subjective, but hated every year we were in Dallas, mostly because of the heat, and secondly because of the "pace". (Again, though, my frame of reference was from Colorado, where we were outside ALL the time, and people were so much more laid back....)

• kellyeng
    17 years ago

mother_one -

I don't know much about the Dallas area but I've been a residence of TX for 30 years.

If you're not aware of the heat you need to come visit in July. When the airport doors open it's like a furnace blast and that's not an exaggeration. We vacation in Del Mar, CA almost ever year and the two climates are not even comparable.

Reno - my neighbors abandon there pool by August. It's like taking a warm bath in 102Ë weather!

I love Texas but that's the reality.

• mfbenson
    17 years ago

I live just west and a little south of Frisco.

"Will there be things for us to do out there?"

Depends on what you like to do. There's no mountains or ocean. Plenty of shopping and sports events.

"Will the weather(heat/humidity) keep my kids from wanting to play outside?"

Yes.

"Are the schools in the area nice?"

Compared to most of Texas, yes, compared to national averages Frisco is about average.

"Would a commute from Frisco to Dallas be too far?"

Probably - a co-worker of mine lives in Frisco and has a one hour commute each way and we work in Carrollton.

"Are there good tech jobs closer to Frisco?"

Yes - right in Frisco, even.

"Are the higher property taxes and HOAs going to feel burdensome?"

HOA's are rare around here. As far as property taxes they are extreme. Texas has what is called "robin hood", which means that a good chunk of your taxes doesn't stay with your school district, it will go to fund some impoverished school on the other side of the state. There is no state income tax though. Sales taxes are on the high side too.

"I also wanted to ask about racism, since when I tell people we are thinking about Texas, they always seem to bring it up. I am white and my husband is white and filipino. I just can't imagine this being an issue, but it could be I guess."

You could be in for a shock - white people are the minority in Texas. (49.9%). There is a small amount of racism, but probably not in the way you are picturing it.

"Of course, we need to check out the area first for ourselves, but any insider info would be so helpful. I know people don't like Cali people coming and invading their neighborhoods, but they just look like such a GOOD deal from where we are!"

"Native Texans" are actually pretty rare in the DFW area. Most everyone is from somewhere else.

Oh, and one last thing: don't expect to get rich with real estate appreciation once you buy here. Houses go up only about 2% a year in value. There's pretty much an unlimited supply of land for new construction and as long that holds true existing houses just don't earn much.

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I guess now we will just have to see for ourselves...

It kinda seems like from the responses I've gotten, that people born and raised in Texas love it and people who are transplants take some time to adjust, but some don't ever seem to adjust. I wonder what kind we will be if we do decide to move? I hope we can handle the heat. It seems like the part people really don't like.

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So here is an update on our situation...

We spent a week in the area and we really liked it. My husband actually had a job interview while we were there and he got the job! So he will be working in Plano, and we are looking at living in Frisco or Mckinney. We have friends that live at Providence in Aubrey, and my husband's mom is in Sherman, so we want to be somewhere within reason to them but close enough to work. But we also have to sell our house here in California first, so it looks like my husband will be out there, staying with someone until we sell it and then I can join him.

So now I am trying to narrow down where in Frisco or Mckinney we want to live and if we want to build new or buy a resale. We have been looking at a few communities in Frisco - Panther Creek, Grayhawk, Hillcrest Estates and in McKinney - Stonebridge Ranch, Brookstone. Anyone have any info that may be helpful? Any areas we should definitely look at? BTW, we have 3 elementary aged boys, so we will need a family friendly area with a good school close by. Thanks for anymore help! I know I have gotten so much already! :)

• dannie_gal
    17 years ago

Is your husband's job closer to the Tollway or Central Expressway (Hwy 75)? That would be the first thing I would look at in narrowing down a place to live.

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's closer to the tollway. The Dallas Tollway and W.Plano Parkway is where his job will be located.

• garysgirl03
    17 years ago

Reno fan, I almost could have written your post! My family moved from Colorado to Plano when I was in high school, and we all hated it. I agree that it is too hot to go outside in the summer time, especially coming from Colorado where we didn't even need air conditioning! Also, as a family that mainly enjoys outdoor activities like hiking, we found that there really wasn't enough around to keep us occupied, even if it was pleasant outside.

The schools in Plano are academically excellent, but the attitude that Reno fan describes is absolutely accurate. In my high school, you were absolutely nothing if you didn't have the requisite number of Dooney and Burke purses (which was at least 3 at over $200 each). Everyone got a brand new car for their 16th birthday, and the yearbook actually quoted a girl saying that she was so disappointed on her birthday because she thought she was only going to get an Accord, but Daddy surprised her with a BMW! In our neighborhood of approximately $500,000 houses, our neighbor across the street had a Bentley in his driveway. The normal lawn decorations were imposing stone lions, and I babysat for a little girl whose greatest fear was that she wouldn't make cheerleader in high school (she was five!). Enough said :-).

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah that is kinda the impression I am getting of Plano too. I think that is why I like the Frisco/McKinney area a little more. It seemed more like run-of-the-mill suburbia to me, which is more our style. We really aren't outdoorsy people either, even though we live in SoCal and can hiking and camp and go to the beach to our hearts content, but we just never do, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock for us.

I think our biggest priorities, besides decent location to work, would just be to get the most house(with decent quality, not just quantity), in a nice, friendly, family-oriented neighborhood. And my husband would love a media room, and I would like to get a nice kitchen, and a school nearby. I think we are fairly flexible and a lot of neighborhoods seem to fit this bill. I just have a fear of finding the perfect house and then finding out the builder sucks, or the community is horrible, or something like that.

• mfbenson
    17 years ago

Frisco is getting to have more and more of the Plano attitude. Still nowhere as extreme, but its heading in that direction...

• sunrochy
    17 years ago

My family lives in Frisco, I visit them when I can. To be honest, it is not the place for me. My family likes it a lot, the lifestyle fits them well while it doesn't fit me. I am more of a person who is happy in an enviornment with more differences (for example, Washington, DC) and older/smaller houses.

Some people like it there and some hate it; it depends on their preferences and lifestyle needs.

• chazas
    17 years ago

I find this all pretty funny. I grew up in Dallas and my family is still there, but I haven't really lived there since I graduated from high school in 1979. At that time, Plano was a tacky, low-rent far-out suburb. There wasn't anything at all in McKinney. In fact, there was no development to speak of even as far out as Belt Line.

Things do change, don't they?

• txrealtor
    17 years ago

Mother one- I am new to the forum. I just came across your post and was wondering if you are still moving to Frisco, Texas?

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep we are still moving! I will probably be out there the beginning of September. Our house is in escrow right now, so hopefully it all goes smoothly! We will probably rent an apartment for a few months until we buy a house. I want to get out there and spend time really looking before we make a decision. :) My husband is already out there cause he starts work on Monday. This is all happening so fast...

• dannie_gal
    17 years ago

Something to keep in mind when shopping...Denton county property taxes are slightly cheaper than Collin County due to Collin County Community College.

Another thing to know (since you listed specific neighborhoods above)...this may be just a rumor - I have not verified it, but the new Walmart going in at Eldorado Pkwy and FM 423 in west Frisco will route their delivery trucks actually through a part of the Grayhawk neighborhood. Again, haven't verified, but definitely something to remember to verify if your home search leads you to this neighborhood.

Good plan to live in the area a bit first.

• dannie_gal
    17 years ago

Oh - meant to comment on the commute.

It took my husband an hour to get to downtown Dallas from Frisco during rush hour. Plano Pkwy would take only about 20-25 minutes during rush hour. It's sure to get even faster once the tollway construction is complete. As it is now, it is close enough to Frisco that I delivered my baby at the hospital near there. Speaking of medical care, I highly highly recommend Centennial Pediatrics in Frisco. My kiddo's pediatrician came highly recommended by another pediatrician that had previously worked with him.

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much dannie gal! I was thinking about asking my doctor for recommendations too. I will definitely look into that. Oh and I think we pretty much ruled out grayhawk, just because we didn't like something about it. I think I am really leaning more toward east Frisco, but still up in the air at this point.

• Mother_One
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm sure you are all sick of this thread getting bumped back to the top... but just wanted ya'll to know that I am here! I made it to Texas, and we are staying in an apartment in Frisco. We are house hunting, and I'm really excited to find a house. We looked at a few houses in the Trails today and really liked that area.

Thanks again to everyone for helping us make this big decision! and I got here just in time to enjoy this really nice weather! I got to miss all the really hot stuff. :)

• susanjn
    17 years ago

Welcome!

• Happyladi
    17 years ago

Welcome to Texas. Yes, you missed the very hot August we had. We might still have some 90's, but the weather should be pretty nice from now till next June.

• dannie_gal
    17 years ago

The Trails is a fantastic neighborhood, but I guess I'm a little biased! ;) Welcome to Texas! I'm sure you'll love it here.

• laplanter
    17 years ago

Glad you made it there ok. We had friends that just moved from Plano.They really liked it there but his job is in MO so their house is for sale. We visited them about 6 weeks ago & ate at a place we liked. It was called Luna de Noche. Seems there are a couple in the Dallas area. Here is their website with menu & all. www.lunadenoche.net
    I had the camerones de la casa & loved it.

We lived N of Houston about 8 years ago & found that different cities have different "feels". You have to find the right spot for you & hope the drive isn't bad. Made me laugh when I first saw the "drive friendly" signs on the interstate- til I realized they needed them!!

Good luck!

• lonestarsteph
    17 years ago

Hi!
    I just read this whole post........now I'm curious where you decided buy a house and how things are going now. Any updates?

• kat123
    17 years ago

Just read this post for the first time. I'm a native Texan and have lived in Dallas nearly all of my life. I can't imagine living any place else. I absolutely love Dallas. Our little granddaughter is a sixth generation Dallasite!

WELCOME! We are so happy to have you here. Keep us updated on where you finally bought a home. By the way, have you looked south of 635 in what is called Preston Hollow and/or North Dallas? There are lovely homes, mature trees and excellent schools.

• lotforsale_mckinneylots_com
    16 years ago

Yes, please update those of us that are just finding this thread.

Did you end up at the Trails?

If you haven't bought yet, check out Waterstone Estates.

Chad
    http://www.mckinneylots.com

Here is a link that might be useful: McKinney Lot For Sale

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

"The weather is hot, but not super humid. So long as you have a big tree, a swimming pool and working A/C, you'll be fine."

Oh, my gosh, I so disagree with this comment. I think Texas is unbearably hot and humid in the summers. I live in Iowa, where we typically experience very hot and humid summers, and Texas, IMHO, is 10 times worst. I made the mistake one summer of visiting my brother--who used to live in Grapevine and is now in Bedford with plans to move to Fort Worth shortly--in July. It was terrible! I vowed never to go back to TX in July and I never have. We went from A/C'ed house to A/C'ed car to A/C'ed store. We were only ever briefly out of the A/C. Of course...all this said...I LOVE going to Texas during an Iowa winter. Nothing like being able to go outside in nothing but shorts and a T-shirt in the middle of December when everyone else back home is shivering in their heavy coats!

• technicolor_cottage
    16 years ago

I agree with terrig! Having lived in the Fort Worth area for most of my life, I can attest that the humidity is positively draining on a person! Combined with the high temps, it just zaps the energy right out of ya!

• youngdeb
    16 years ago

Kat123, I heard the schools around Preston Hollow were sketchy? I have a cousin there sending hers to private...

We're tossing around a move to Dallas as well, but the whole public school situation is really hard to get a handle on. I went to Richardson ISD all the way through and turned out fine (if I do say so myself) but Mom keeps saying "everything's changed." It's really confusing, and it makes a big difference in the price of a house if you can't send your kids to the local school.

For the record, we're pretty much urbanites and probably wouldn't be happy with Frisco, from what I hear. Richardson's probably about as far out as we'd go.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I'm making the move from Ca to Austin, which is the greenest(environmentally)city in the nation~just an FYI. Housing costs are 35% below the national average, so ya get a lot of bang for the buck, but I have a feeing, not for long.

If you're in the tech industry, it's one of the up-and-coming palces to be~DD/DH were transfered, and that's his business. Almost on a par with Wake Forest(Raleigh)NC, but still in the process of growing.

It's hot and humid also, but I can't make the comparison between Dallas and Austin. TCC, what you say? Is one more extreme than the other, or about the same? ;o)

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

The summers are equally sweltering in Austin and Dallas. However winters are slightly colder in Dallas.

The heat and humidity might be a difficult adjustment at first but you get used to it.

• technicolor_cottage
    16 years ago

Patty_cakes, kellyeng is right. I guess you do get used to it -- that doesn't mean you start thinking it's pleasant by any means, but ya learn to cope. ;-)

Oh, and Patty_cakes ... you do know the official Austin motto, right?

{{!gwi}}

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I hear ya Jen~that heat and humidity will be about as pleasant as it was back in Il.

Yeh, saw tee-shirt wearin' folks sportin' the slogan and big billboards~weird is good. Although I may have traditional values, I don't consider myself conservative in 'human' respects. WHEN did Austinites decide they wanted to keep Austin weird, and better yet, maybe they were weird already, and just didn't know it. LOL

• tesodrew_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi! So I stumbled across this thread from 6 years ago while doing a google search regarding Frisco. 6 years later, do you still like Frisco? Or should I fight to stay in SoCal?