SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_smallhome

Please Help Me PIck Out Fabrics for Reupholstering

organic_smallhome
15 years ago

my LR chairs? The sale igloo posted about is over in a day, and I have no idea how much I should order for my chairs--can anybody help? My sofa is a light beige textured slipcovered sofa. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the chairs:

Here are the possible chair fabrics:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (86)

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Me again.

I had to start over. Many of the fabrics above (including #1 and #3) are not heavyweight enough--according to the guy at Diva Design Fabrics--that if I go with linen, I have to go with a heavier weight. The problem is that they don't have a heavyweight cream color linen, which is what I want. Neither does Fabricguru (as far as I can tell--they give very little information about the fabric on that site). *sigh"

So here's the new line-up for the striped chair (and I could not find any similar stripe at either of the fabric places, not in a heavyweight fabric):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

#3 (mrsmarv's favorite, and one of mine):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

#5 (along the lines of #3)
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

For the channel-back chair, I'm going to look for a cream-colored solid or tone-on-tone as an alternative to the linen.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Just me but I like the blues (#4 and #2). One note is to be very careful about the scale of the pattern otherwise the lovely pattern will look like a blob or solid from more than a few feet away. #1 looks like it would do this. I'd be concerned that #3 and #5 are too similar to your sofa. Are you going to keep the same wall color or paint?

• Related Discussions

Help me please - pick out a picture option to hang in kitchen

Q

Comments (39)
    Uroboros5, Sail-away, Dianalo, FKS3: thanks for the charcoal vote. I will be getting that one reframed. Can't wait to get that done. I've been dragging my feet to spend the $. Pupwhipped, Love it-what you said about Cleveland. I am going to cut that sucker down. Michoumonster, thanks for the fish vote but I probably wont go with that one. I think the size is right. It needs remounting. The print is a little stiff for me in this room I think, and I don't like all of the white background. I must be leaning towards more color. Sochi, I love those darned poppies, I've had it hung in that location for years in my UGLY old kitchen and didn't care one bit that it was large. Then, the white frame was ok because there was other white in the room. But now I agree that the frame is wrong. I don't know if the print would survive a reframing. Stacey, thanks for the tips and I will watch that Youtube video. I have been thinking I could even see if I could get a set of "paintings" out of the one. That might be too much. A simple single might be best with this print.
    ...See More

How to pick fabric for Reupholstering Items?

Q

Comments (29)
    Well, I do like the bird fabric, but I dont think it will work. :( I think the pattern is too large, and I think I should probably not use another fabric that has the dark blue background. I am not good at scale I think. Not sure if I should start another thread, but I will post pictures tonight of the two samples I got. I don't think I like either of them! The fabric will have to go with this rug... (excuse the mess, now you see why I turned my DR into a playroom :) ) and these drapes (it is the blue fabric. for some reason this is the best close up i have on line) .... So any of these look good to anyone???? 1 2 3 4 I kind of like these too, but it is getting matchy matchy. 5 6 7 I did order samples of a blue velvet and a denim. I like the idea of using some of that for the slip cover with the fabric. Maybe even together. Someone had said why would you put the denim and velvet on the same chair? They are close in color. At first I thought that made sense, but isnt that kind of how you bring texture in to a room? I am so bad at this!!!!!! :)
    ...See More

please help me pick out paint colors to match my sofa

Q

Comments (0)
    The color of the sofa pictures is the same exact color however I changed the pillows to the fabric attached. The fabric is a grayish color. I need help picking a paint color. The room is going to have carpet likely a light beige or gray.
    ...See More

help me pick out a paint color for the exterior please

Q

Comments (1)
    White Dove has to be one of the most popular white around, along with Simply White and Cloud White. I often check out the Benjamin Moore's Colonial Williamsburg collection when I want to change colors. I found a white called Capital White CW with a slightly creamy undertone compared to White Dove. Look at BM colors in this link: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/most-popular-colors Have you browsed Houzz white exteriors to see what is featured? (Sometimes they mention the exact color in the write up.) Here is one house with a brown roof - BM Ballet White - not white white, if that is what your leaning toward. Good luck.
    ...See More
  • mrsmarv
    15 years ago

I like #3, #5, and #4. I'm not a "blue lover" but the color and pattern in #4 is very pleasing and would go well with your sofa. And of course, "the pillow" ;o) They all look like they are of substantial weight, and have a nice hane. The weave of the three fabrics are heavier looking, which would complement your sofa.
    Can someone jump in and photoshop the chairs, sofa, and pillow with each of your choices?

• texashottie
    15 years ago

I agree with Valinsv about the small patterns. #1 is very pretty and I like it a lot--maybe you can use it as an accent pillow?

#4 is my favorite of that last bunch.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, you guys. I know I'm driving you crazy with this fabric thing--but I just really need the input.

What about mixing patters? I'm thinking #3 or #5 for the straight-back chair, and #4 for the channel-back chair? Yes? No?

And thanks for suggesting the photoshopping, mrsmarv--that would really help alot.

Anybody up for a little photoshopping? At the very least, it might end the thread--lol!

• ronniroo
    15 years ago

I think you could probably use a couple different patterns, but I'd be really careful about the pattern on the channel-back.. I'd think it'd need to be a small scale non-directional print, not sure #4 would work because it's a linear pattern, I'd be worried you'd get some weird tilting of the pattern on the channels. I think #3 is a great print for your straight-back and you've had it in from the beginning, so you obviously like it!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

If you want a pattern on the channel-back I agree with ronniroo that it would have to be a smaller scale--something like #1.

It would really help to see the top contenders next to the sofa, pillows, carpet and paint swatches all together in one shot. Are you ordering fabric samples?

My concern is that you have a lot of ivory and creams and they need to blend together--otherwise one of them might look dirty or greyish.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

LOL. I've had that Vervain print on my Diva wishlist forever, but have no place for it. I like the one with the diamond motifs for a chair, but without seeing your overall room, it's difficult to know how it will contribute to the scheme. Above poster makes an excellent point about the potential undesired consequences of the channels on certain prints.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ronniroo: Good thinking.

valinsv: I'm not ordering samples because the sale at Diva Design ends tomorrow (they extended it until then) and others are off of ebay.

You guys are so helpful!

Okay, here are the final three contenders (I think):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kitchendetective: The dogs are draped all over the sofa, sleeping, at the moment. I will take pics in a little while because you're right: it's difficult for people to give confident feedback if they haven't seen the whole room.

I am so sick of this already. Once I post the LR pics, I hope one of you will just pick the fabrics for me, so I can go on with my life--lol.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

organic: Are these the only pics you have of the prints? I know you want to take advantage of the sale and I am the last one to talk because I do LOVE a bargin, but based on the information you've presented it really is difficult to make a good decision. With all of the patterns I cannot tell the scale of the prints. Your #3 seems to be a closeup, but in another pic your posted the scale looks much smaller. Depending on the scale, it could look fabulous on your channel back since the original fabric looks to be a small check tone-on-tone or terrible. Myself, I'd have to have a swatch and play with it laying it inside the channels, but perhaps someone here has a more experienced eye. While I like #1 and #3 I don't know that I'd like to see them together. I prefer fabric #1, but not necessarily for your chairs.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

valinsv: Update! DH and I agree that the fabric on the channelback is actually in pretty good shape. The stains on on the top and are so tiny that they are difficult to see. So: I'm thinking of just leaving the channelback chair as it is and reupholstering the striped chair in one of these. What do you think?

This one is a wheat/yellow:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

kitchendetective: Here are pics of the LR:

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

Either #2 or #3 of the most recent pics. #2 has the small diamond and the curves in the overall print, which would go well with the diamonds in the channel-back chair. And #3 has the curves and similar design of "the pillow". I still vote for the middle fabric, #2 (my original choice).

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mrsmarv: I love #2, also. My only hesitancy is whether it will look too yellow in the room, and stick out like a sore thumb, since both the other chair and the sofa are very neutral colors?

Anybody up for photoshopping???

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay: I ordered the red fabric and it's awful. I sent it back. So I'm back to Square One. I'm kind of agreeing with mrsmarv that a yellow/gold of some sort might be best. What do you guys think of these new choices?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• msrose
    15 years ago

I like the 1st one the best since it's more of a toned down gold.

Laurie

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laurie: I think you're right. Do you--or anybody--like any of these others? I am so tired of this process. :(

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Plain Ivory Linen:

{{!gwi}}

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

OS, I'm late to this party, but I just wanted to agree with texashottie: you've got gorgeous taste. What a wonderful room you're creating. It's so peaceful and classic.

I like the first subdued gold damask you posted yesterday. I think it'll be the best with your room, and will be the most classic. What's the fabric made of?

btw, what have you found to be the best sources for upholstery fabric?

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

walkin: Thanks. :) I'm so not good at this, and really don't have the patience for it. I very much appreciate your feedback. The fabric you prefer is a damask.

Here are the sources I've been checking:

http://www.fabricguru.com/ (recommended by mrsmarv)

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/ (recommended by igloochic--and they are having a great sale at the moment)

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

Choice #1 on June 12 @ 23:50 is my pick (cream and gold damask from fabric guru).
    Take a deep breath...you're doing fine ;o)

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Oh, sorry, OS, I wasn't clear. I mean, is it an all-cotton damask, or does it include some polyester/synthetics? I've read somewhere that the part-synthetic upholstery fabrics clean up more easily. Thanks for the source recommendations. I second mrsmarv's idea of deep breaths -- and of doing fine! I think you're almost there...

• decorpas
    15 years ago

OS, I am leaning toward the last choices you posted (the linen). You said the chairs wouldn't be sat in a TON, so if it were my house, I would not want the poly in my fabric at all, and since I know a bit of your preference for things organic and healthy, I just wanted to put that out there. Many synthetic cotton blends are treated with formaldehyde.

I just bought a very expensive chair that is covered in 100% linen which will get a lot of use. I'd rather see the signs of wear on real linen than breath polyester-- But that is a personal preference. I just didn't want to leave it unsaid, in case you haven't thought of it.

The linen you posted is classic, fresh, and elegant. I also liked the blue and green stripe you posted right before it, which brought a freshness to the room. As much as I love the dotted one, it seems like you might outgrow that one style-wise. The check could be pretty paired up with the stripe (one on each chair) but I'd be careful about patterns on the chair to the right, due to the flare lines. This brings me back to the linen, which is a forever fabric. You really can't go wrong with linen, and using the fabrics you like today as pillows to add punch to the room.

So, in the end, my vote is for the linen on both chairs to unify them, with the fabrics you most love as pillows to be used on the chairs and sofa, with contrast piping.

You have great taste, and this will end up beautifully....hang in there (I hate this part, too...)

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

walkin: The site doesn't state what the material content is--sorry. :( In any case, that choice is off the docket since I missed the sale--I'm an idiot--and I can't afford $75.00 per yard. Yikes.

mrsmarv: Thank you. :)

decorpas: Thank you so much for the information, as well as the thoughts about the fabrics I posted. I keep going back to the linen, too. Is linen easy to clean? We usually have our rugs and upholstered furniture professionally cleaned once/year, and I want to make sure that if something happens to the chair, it can be cleaned. My biggest hurdle is that, with four animals (not counting the rabbits), things can get dirtied-up pretty quickly (why I bought a washable slip-covered sofa)--and I'm kind of a clean freak--so I am naturally pulled to at least a subtle print. I thought I had found just the one (see link), but then the information you shared about polyester deflated *that* balloon. :) I guess I'm going to try to find a subtle linen print. Check the thread later, will you?

Thanks again, everybody!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivory Bee Stripe

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S.

decorpas: Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the chair you just purchased? Thank you. :)

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, here are the choices. I'm including the links, rather than photos--I'm sorry, I know it's a PITA--but I think it will give you a better idea of the fabrics.

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/products-details.php?prod_id=6573

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/products-details.php?prod_id=6571

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/products-details.php?prod_id=547

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/products-details.php?prod_id=6302

Thanks so much for any and all feedback.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I like #1. Your link for the ivory bee stripe took me to the chair on your other post, Bergere.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

OS,

We have very similar tastes, and I was thinking that when I looked at your fabric choices earlier. Then, I come back and you have the Bergere chair (a fav of mine), Bee Stripe fabric (Napoleonic Bees?), and now this first blue fabric, which I have used in my LR and bedroom, except mine is a cotton. How funny.

Clearly, I love the first choice of these latest listed fabrics:-) But the Vervain! I was just looking at that one, too. Wow. I love number 1 and 2 and can see them in the same room...4 is a classic- but since you want a print, I'm leaning toward the first 2.

My chair is below-- I should clarify that when I said it was expensive, it was expensive for me. It was listed around 1500.00, but I got it for 425 and then paid 500 to get it shipped from Los Angeles;-) I don't usually spend that kind of money on a chair, but it was everything I've been dreaming about....If you know what I mean. It's a Scandinavian (Gustavian) take on the Bergere chair.

I can see your need for a pattern, absolutely. And I don't want to sell you on my way of doing things, because they may not be right for you-- It's just, I have had too many experiences with expensive fabrics that were pre-treated, then needing to be spot cleaned and being ruined. With linen, I can spot clean with water and whatever else I would use on regular linen clothes and towels. I don't have dogs, though-- so take that with a grain of salt! I feel personally like I have more control over a natural fabric than I do treated or synthetics.

I'm not totally against synthetics-- there are a lot of applications where they make sense. I just wanted to make sure you were informed before you made your choice, since I know you are aware and mindful of the impact.

chair pic from showroom:

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Parma--Isn't that chair just so sweet??? They haven't emailed me back on it, so I'm thinking it went in a flash.

decorpas: I have no problem with your selling me your "way of doing things"--especially since it's probably my way, too. :) No, you're right: I should stay with the natural fibers, for both health and practical reasons. I like all of these fabrics. My worry with #1 was that it's either too yellow or too toile-y. With #2, too fancy. But I think, in the end, it will be one of these two.

Thanks for posting a photo of your chair: It's stunning. I love Swedish/Gustavian style. Did you reupholster it? The upholstery looks like it's in good shape! I'd love to see a photo of it in your space, if you ever feel like posting one. That would be expensive for me, too--but you got quite a deal, and I think this lovely chair is totally worth it. No question. :)

• decorpas
    15 years ago

I didn't reupholster it! It came perfect...as is;-)

I tried to resize this pic, and frankly, it 's not great- my LR is under a bit of a sewing/work crisis (read: fabric everywhere from several projects).

Here she is, at home- sorry it is so BIG! resized it five times to no avail:

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's not big at all. It's tiny!!! I can barely see it--lol. It really is a lovely chair, though.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, yes- in the preview, it was HUGE and now it's as if all the resizing finally took place! ha ha. I'll go back into photobucket and resize it again...How funny is that.

Thanks for the compliment- I fell in love at first sight:-)

• decorpas
    15 years ago

is this better?

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Oh man OS...I'm so sorry the red fabric didn't work out. I feel bad. Was it too orangy? I was wondering how it would look in real life.

I like this fabric you just posted

Should I photoshop it in? Seems like that didn't help at all last time....sigh! I feel bad!

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lindy: Don't feel bad!!! There's always a chance that something bought unseen won't work out. No biggie. :)

Are you really in the mood to photoshop this morning--yet one more time? That would be so great! The sale is over today, so last night I went through every single fabric on their site. I came up with the following (in addition to the four I posted links to above):

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/products-details.php?prod_id=5677

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/products-details.php?prod_id=2871

http://www.designdivafabrics.com/products-details.php?prod_id=4457

Those seven are the last ones. There are no more. Finished. Finito. I need to make my decision before tonight. Somebody just kill me now, please.

Thanks, lindy, for being so sweet.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I still like #1 of the others you posted.

Where's the bee stripe that you had the wrong link for? and yes, that was a cool chair!

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi parma. Sorry for the delayed response: I had to go clean out bunny habitats. :) And sorry for posting the wrong link! Here's the link to the bee stripe--which I really, really like--but it's 100% polyester, and that might be impossible to clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee stripe fabric

• parma42
    15 years ago

That is cute and I can see why you like it.

I like bee fabric and also monkeys, LOL. Fell in love with a Robert Allen monkey, chinoiserie fabric years ago. Of course it had to be the most expensive.

Don't know anything about cleaning polyester. On the furniture forum Dale? (can't remember his name now) swears by a can of Scotchguard for furniture). Did GW boot him again? Haven't seen him or Faron from paint in ages.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma: I'll check it out, thanks. I just saw Faron on a thread in the paint forum the other day, but can't remember which one.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

decorpas: Just saw your post! Oh yeah, MUCH better. Gorgeous!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I had heard years ago that Scotchguard was very toxic to use, but yet I still see it sold. Does anyone have any information on this? Since I heard the report I refused to use it afraid to breathe the fumes.

• decorpas
    15 years ago

Brutuses,

I'll try to answer this as an interested consumer. I am by no means a scientist, and I can't vouch for the veracity of the tests/reports quoted in the articles I've read and linked to. If you google this, you can find a lot of alarmist type reports, which I tried to sort through and not include here. I am a fan of natural and organic, just because it makes sense. I don't want to unnecessarily alarm anyone with this info, and urge you all to do your own research on this topic.

Basically, the chemical that kept stains from adhering which was used in Scotchguard in until several years ago was found to contaminate human blood and wildlife. Over 90% of the population in the late'90's had the chemical in their blood (also used in Teflon, etc). Testing revealed it to be lethal in high doses to animals, however Scotchguard, Teflon, etc used much smaller doses.

The new formula does not contain those chemicals, though it has been criticized for not working as well. Furthermore, the company hadn't revealed the test results for the current chemicals, though they will say that these new chemicals do not stay in the body as long as the old ones and that the new chemicals are safe. There is some uproar over why these chemicals do not have to be proven safe before they are used and just who is responsible, if anyone, for monitoring companies like the makers of Scotchguard.

The EPA concluded around 2000 (? not sure of date) the chemical was toxic and was linked to birth defects. It is no longer used in Scotchguard.

These chemicals are in carpet, clothes, etc and have entered the food chain to the point of being found in baby eagle's blood (who have never left the nest, thereby leading researchers to conclude that the chemical has entered the food chain). They are not sure yet HOW these chemicals enter our bloodstreams (water, air, etc).

Given this info, I'm not sure how much impact it has to choose to not use these items in our homes. Clearly, there is so much we do not have control over and therefore can't impact through our choices. But for me, it makes sense to opt out of stain/water/oil repellants whenever possible.

links:

http://www.enviroblog.org/2007/06/ask_ewg_why_is_there_teflon_in.htm

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/projects/2005/02/toxictraces/

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/02/22_edgerlym_3mscience/

http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/

http://www.protectingourhealth.org/press/2003/2003-0622-SJMN-scotchgard.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: stain/water etc replellants

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well I don't think I'm up for all 7 or 8 of them but I did a couple. Prints are so hard to line up correctly and look a little patchworky (my new word..LOL)

I love that bee stripe one so much. It's really classy looking.
    {{!gwi}}

I also love the color on the dog print.

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lindy: Thank you very much! This has helped me eliminate these two fabrics--lol.

Okay, everybody, we are down to the wire! I have forced my dh to look at every single option with me, and we have eliminated all but the following four. At this point, he said he likes #2 the best. But I would still like your vote. I must purchase in 2h38m, at which point the sale ends.

I promise you that you shall never hear from me again regarding fabric for this chair. :)

#1 (linen)
    {{!gwi}}

#2 (50% cotton/50% linen)
    {{!gwi}}

#3 (cotton)
    {{!gwi}}

#4 (this one is 80% cotton/20% microfiber)
    {{!gwi}}

• msrose
    15 years ago

Did you decide #1 on June 12 @ 23:50 wouldn't work? I still like that one the best.

Laurie

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

ROFL OS!

Well I obviously missed your two hour cutoff...but honestly, I think any of those 4 would be great! I guess if you had to pin me down, I like the Toile because it's more subtle. ;c)

• estreya
    15 years ago

I love the four finalists!

My favorite is the last one (#4, 80% cotton/20% microfiber) because i think the overall color is more creamy and buttery, and as i remember your room, it's very warm. The overall color on the upper three seems a bit cooler to me.

Having said that, they're all gorgeous.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Tell us, tell us! #1?

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Laurie: I miss the cut-off time for the sale on that material, so that was out. :)

I ended up purchasing #4 of the last set. I love all of them, but the pattern on #4 seemed subtle enough to blend well with other patterns in the room. I'm wondering if maybe I should have valances made in that material, as well? But I'm worried it might be too matchy-matchy. Anyway, let's hope I still love it when it arrives!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Oh, I like it! And I think it will be the easiest to live with, too. Good choice! (and aren't you glad this decision might actually be over with?)

Definitely wait on the valances, OS. Just do the chair for now and live with it for a bit.

I'm working on upholstery fabric right now, too (see my thread on mohair velvet): I feel your pain!

• estreya
    15 years ago

Number 4! Number 4!

I won! I won!

Oh, wait a moment. This isn't a contest, is it ...

For a moment, i was SO looking forward to my prize ...

:)