SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roulie_gw

help choosing sofa and chairs!!

roulie
13 years ago

I am new to the home decorating forum, but spent a lot of time on the kitchen forum last year. A year after finishing the kitchen, I'm ready to make some decorating decisions, starting with my family room. I would appreciate any help and opinions.

I have a 1960s cape and you enter the house through a small mudroom, then into the family room which is now open to the kitchen (which is also open to the dining room). Everything in the FR is going except for the rug and the round coffee table, and I am going to purchase a sofa and two armchairs (and perhaps a bookcase to replace the small dresser that is currently functioning as a book shelf). The sofa will go where the current sofa is; the two armchairs will be opposite (one where the current oversized chair is and the other next to it.) Some information about colors: The tile backsplash in the kitchen is a sage green; the dining room walls are BM Woodlawn Blue; the kitchen is cherry with black granite; the family room walls are BM Shaker Beige; the mudroom walls are BM Porcelain Ivory.

As you can see, the house has a lot of neutrals -- brown and beige, but also has some soft greens and blue which sort of compete with the reds in the carpets (in the FR, DR and kitchen). I have chosen the sofa, but am stuck on the chairs. The furniture salesperson thinks the chairs should be red, to pull out the red from the rug, but the problem is that I don't really like red very much. I wouldn't mind red throw pillows, but am not sure if I want two red chairs. Also, although I initially ruled out suede-like microfiber, there is a velour microfiber that I really like but am concerned that red velour will look too much like a throne. (I like the microfiber because we have two active boys and this is the room that gets the most use -- backpacks thrown on chairs, etc.)

This is the sofa that I have chosen, and the fabric sample:

This is the chair that I like:

My question is, should I go with red chairs or stick with something safer, like a brown: This is the brown that I like, next to the sofa fabric:

And these are the two reds, one of which seems a bit too burgundy and the other seems a bit too orange. If I do go with red (which my husband is leaning towards) i don't know which way to go: Or, should I go lighter and choose a beige?? I'm confused!!

Thank you for any help!!

(oh -- I am also going to tile over the brick around the fireplace -- any opinions on using the green tile from the kitchen backsplash vs. using slate to match the hearth?? thanks!!)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting