SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

Ugliest Fabric Contest!

maryliz
16 years ago

OK, I just got this idea, so forgive me if it's still half baked. How about we have an "Ugliest Fabric" contest? Just submit a photo of your single ugliest piece of fabric, close up, so we can see it in all its un-glory and weep that you spent money on something so hopelessly useless.

Should I award a prize? How about a fat quarter? The winner can tell me her favorite color and style of fabric. I promise I'll pick something pretty.

1) We should have a deadline. How about Sunday, July 15? I'll tally the votes and let you know the winner.

2) Entries must be quilter's type cottons, uncut and unloved. No ugly couches!

3) Entries must be found in your stash. Don't just go out and buy something for this contest.

4) As part of your entry, tell the story of how/why you acquired your "terrible textile." It might be funny!

5) Be sure to tell others whether you want to put your specimen up for adoption. (Indicate yardage.) But the adoption process should begin only AFTER the votes have been tallied. Maybe we can keep it all on the same thread that way. We'll just have to see how this goes. After all, I'm just waking up!

Comments (73)

• anjea
    16 years ago

Aw, the pigs are cute!

The floral print Fatquarters put up gets my vote for the ones currently on the board.

• Florazone9
    16 years ago

Maggie Sue, I agree your fabric is a little odd, but I too love pigs and would definately use that in an I spy quilt.

So far Fatquarters post of her fabrics take my vote on any of the fabric she posted. flora

• Related Discussions

Ugliest Plant Contest!!!

Q

Comments (34)
    Hey Zeck! That's a Crassula capitella ssp thrysflora and those nasty occupants are mealy bugs, much worse than scale. A beautiful plant with a very ugly condition. It's very easy to propagate from leaves. I would suggest removing and cleaning a handful of leaves and then discarding the plant. Sorry.
    ...See More

Ugly Fabric Contest is now OPEN! (warning 8 pics)

Q

Comments (49)
    I actually think it is interesting to see how a viewed ugly fabric can be made into a striking quilt. When I took my stack-n whack class, our instructions were to buy the ugliest fabric we could find, the bigger the repeat the better. Jayne -Yours is very pretty and the ugly fabric adds interesting variety. Beverly - I think everyone had great fun with this and have been good sports laughing about ourselves and our ugly fabric choices. This was a good, fun break from the winter blues. Can't wait to see your creation!
    ...See More

what to do with ugly fabric

Q

Comments (10)
    I have received some fabrics in fat quarter packs that I simply didn't like. I never would have bought them singly. I also bought some fabrics online that looked completely different "in person" than they had on the computer screen. But then I changed my mind about a lot of these. How? Well, I simply found coordinating multi-colored fabrics--prints that I did like immediately. Suddenly, these oddballs had their use. Now I actually wish I had more of them. I never would have believed it, even if I had somehow gone back in time and told myself that I would actually begin to like those muted, dusty colors. I usually prefer very clear hues. Now, some of those entries in the ugly fabric contest ... they might not ever become useful by finding coordinating fabrics. Or could they? One never knows....
    ...See More

And the winner (of the ugly fabric contest) is...

Q

Comments (13)
    Glad you like the fabric, Jennifer! You earned it. LOL Since there is so much interest in another round, I'll start a new thread in about a week. So this is early notice to scour your stash for terrible textiles. And if you have fabric and tools and other stuff you just don't intend to use, consider putting them up for adoption.
    ...See More
  • laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Fatquarters -- you were the victim of a cruel hoax!

Actually, some of those are pretty. I'm not sure how folk are counting but from the top down and then across I like 4,5,& 8 -- 6 and 9 are ok -- the hard thing with those though is what do you do with large prints? And in a FQ there's not that much.

LOVE THE PIGS Maggie -- they would be perfect fussy cut for an i-spy. Or used as applique. Or a large piece as the backing to a country/farmsy quilt!

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm surprised there aren't more entries by now. Surely there are more "uglies" lurking in your stashes.

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Here's my entry! I got this as part of a huge fabric stash down-sizing deal from another forum. I was going to toss it, but someone said use it for a charity quilt...Not sure who'd like to even look at it, but we'll see!

Overall...

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Just wanted to add that I have a couple of yards of this stuff if anyone wants it!!

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

I think that is cute Jennifer. It would be great for a backing for a farm animal baby quilt.

I do have an ugly fabric for the contest, just have to get a pic and that takes forever on dial up. Actually I have two and had to decide which one. I'll get it up sometime today.

Lynette

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I just might vote for yours, Jennifer. The muddy, dark purplish color of some of the animals, the flowers that look drawn with a black permanent marker that bled, and the hideous way in which the sizes are all off (ducks almost as tall as a donkey's (?) shoulders; and cows nearly as tall as the barns) Now I have to go see if I have anything to offer.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Jennifer, boy, I hope you had that hid WAY DEEP and WAY BEHIND other stuff!!!! ROFL!

• coalaska
    16 years ago

ooh, Jennifer. I think fatquarters has some "nice" ones, but yours...

:) Cheryl

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

I'm working double shifts right now but when things calm down I am certain I will have some to show.

I don't think your fabric is UGLY Jen, just -- what would you do with it? I agree -- it would be fine on the back of something like a farm quilt...

As an aside -- I don't understand when people say "that is UGLY so make a CHARITY project with it -- just because someone is a charity recipient doesn't mean they don't have any TASTE!

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Yes, Laura! I agree with you about using 'ugly' on a charity quilt....that's why I still have this fabric!! I just can't see using it that way either!

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Well, here is the ugliest fabric I have right now. The colors and the shapes of the fields do not please me, somehow, even though I like bright colors. Bought 1/2 yd. of it online, which I have found to yield some unwelcome surprises!
    However, I'm afraid this fabric cannot reach up (or should I say down?) to Jennifer's and Rebecca's (those bloody-looking handprints!) offerings! haha

• coalaska
    16 years ago

fatquarters, I just noticed that the stripe on the far right is a fabric that I used in my very first quilt. I love that quilt, and the fabric, too. The others, though, not so much :)

Cheryl

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

Cheryl, that strip is actually shiny, not sure if it's really cotton. The white stipes glow. Is it the same as yours?

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Oh no! What is wrong with me? Biwako -- I LOVE those colors. LOVE THEM! Once again I'm not sure what to do with large prints like that, but if you were to fussy cut a patch of cows and fields out and put it on the wall, I'd say "Now that's my kind of picture!!!"

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

LOL, Laura: Yes, something must be terribly wrong with you!

That 1/2 yard of material is now in 6" squares and smaller pieces. I did have to fussy-cut it.

This afternoon I cut up a whole bunch of fabrics I didn't want to see folded up in my stash any more, so now I am ready for the next few I-Spy swaps and have some extras for my own future quilts.

• coalaska
    16 years ago

fatquarters,

yep, it kind of glows. I used it in the border, just like it looks in your pic. I'll have to post a picture :)

Cheryl

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

You know, when I see this in a picture, it doesn't look half bad! The gold really comes out - in real life, it just looked BROWN! It's a recent acquisition, a result of a garage-sale purchase - just not sure what to do with it!
    {{!gwi}}

• easystitches
    16 years ago

I can't believe I must have bought these fabrics.
    What's worse is that i still own them!! Jill

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

oh Jill, I wasn't really fond of the others, but yours are "ahem" pardon me.....ugly!!!LOL
    Lisa

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Jill, no fair! You can only enter one ugly fabric not two!! lol

I think that first one could actually become something if done with stack & wack...only you'd need quite a bit of it...

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Jill: I also thought of S&N for the first one, which is kind of pretty at a distance. The second one is unusual--looks as if it were a quilt top already (if it were much larger in scale). People might have praised its maker for originality and for piecing all those round parts so well, and I might have liked it as a top! But as a fabric, I would be at a loss as to how to use it; I guess it qualifies as ugly.

Scraphappy: Too bad, on my screen, your fabric looks too pretty, and yet if I saw it in person and all those gold parts looked brown, I might have been tempted to vote for it!

I rather liked most of Fatquarters' fabrics, except the two furthest to the right, so for me, the contest is still between Rebecca's and Jennifer's!

Funny thing, a contest where you are disappointed if someone says something good about your entry! lol

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

Jill. where did you find those? I thought I was doing pretty good here until you posted those pics. I might have to vote for you LOL.

• melissa968
    16 years ago

Fatquarters, I actually have about a yard of your first ugly floral! You are absolutely right----can't do a thing with it!

Jennifer, Oh gosh that fabric is something! What's with the purple sheep (or are they donkeys?) and rabbits?

Here's my entry. I actually bought it myself a few years ago. Must have been having a moment. Can't do a thing with this fabric. It actually hurts my eyes! Melissa
    {{!gwi}}

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Ok, I think I know who the winner of this contest will be! Jill - that first fabric - it already looks like a Stack & Whack gone bad!! I'd move them out of my stash to make room for something else - anything else.
    Melissa, I kinda like yours!

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Melissa, that just needs to be cut really small! Might work well for a watercolor quilt!

• lyndawn
    16 years ago

Meliissa,

I actually used yards and yards of that fabric in a double irish chain quilt. You just need the right colors to go with it. I think it is beautiful. I was upset that I didn't have anymore..LOL

I'm trying to get mine posted but my computer is running so slow photobucket gets stuck. I'll keep trying.

Lynette

• cziga
    16 years ago

Cannahavanna,
    Not sure if you'll see this, but that Native American brown fabric that you have would go perfectly with one of my cowboy/horse themed fabrics that I've been saving to make my sister a pillow. I just have never found anything that would go well with it (she picked the first fabric). Yours looks like it would. I sent you an email a little while ago, but GW emails don't usually go through so I thought I'd post. If you see this, and still have and want to get rid of that fabric of yours, please let me know and we can hopefully work something out? My email is through my member page (or just use cziga3 -- it is a gmail.com address). Thanks!

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Cziga, it is yours! I didn't get your email, but I will send one to you so you can reply with your address. I will be happy to send it to you, no trade required! It makes me happy that I will be sending it to someone who love it, LOL!

Rebecca

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it seems that people are starting to give out their "uglies," even before the submission deadline, AND THAT IS JUST FINE WITH ME. Since it's already starting to happen, just keep on getting those fabrics into the hands of someone who can use them. Didn't ya know, that's why I started this thread?

I hope you're all having as much fun as I am!

• lucyh_quilts
    16 years ago

EGADS! Who would think that someone was paid to design fabrics like most of them!! I thought I never saw a fabric that I did not like, but I think I may have changed my mind. I am sure that many can be used somewhere within a quilt, but it will have to be done very creatively!

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

This is ugly. Can you say 1970's?
    I don't know what to do with it. If someone can do something with this fabric they are about 14"x4" Suellen
    {{gwi:2107450}}

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

Oh dear, Suellen. I fear you may have just "won" this contest! LOL

Tamie

• mrseldoo
    16 years ago

Ummm...my vote is for suellen! That is scary fabric!

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Disclaimer, I did not buy this fabric. My mom foisted it off on me. I thought it was the ugliest fabric I've seen lately until I saw sue ellen's.

{{!gwi}}

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Jill, I look at fabrics like your 2nd one & think they are pretty but can't imagine how to put them into a quilt, unless it's backing. So I usually don't buy them.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Melissa might be pleased to think that her fabric reminded me of the detested mealie bugs that get on my succulent plants, but I still have to vote for Jennifer's.

Suellen: Ugly, yes, but the individual colors are pretty, so I can see it making a nice Stack n Whack, if you only had enough of it! However, I can't imagine anyone going out and buying 4 or 5 yds. of it! ha ha.

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Oh, Suellen, that hurts my eyes!

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

But Jan, what about my bloody hand prints! LOL!

Suellen, for some reason your fabric reminds me of a 70's head scarf.

I have been going through my scraps today and cutting up some 6" squares for a scrap quilt and ICK I have had some previous bad taste in my early quilt beginnings. I could have entered a lot of stuff in this contest!

Rebecca

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Rebecca: They are disgusting, but the fabric as a whole isn't as ugly as Jennifer's. In fact, without the bloody prints, I might even like it...Wait, no, I wouldn't! LOL!

• melissa968
    16 years ago

Biwako, thanks for the reassurance that my fabric is gross!!LOL But Suellen! That fabric wins the prize in my book! Wait, is there prize???

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

It's so funny that we are eager to have people say how awful our fabrics are! But no one has "dissed" my fabric yet. Sniff! (not really crying, lol)

I just reread the original post. It seems that the winner may get a FQ, and the deadline is July 15, guys! Hurry up and show and tell!

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

biwako! Thanks for being my hero! I might actually win something this time.!...!! LOL

disclosure: I have not paid Biwako for her support! She has received no monetary or other 'pay off' for her comments.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Just to be kind, let me say something bad about Marti8's fabric, since no one else has, lol. Even though the colors are really pretty (to my mind), the design of the pattern is so random as to seem insane--unless it makes sense when you are looking at a whole yard of it. What *are* those things? I can make out two crossed fingers at the upper right, then a hockey stick, and a slightly bent butter knife. Then there is that underlying white pattern! I admit that I would have no idea what to do with this fabric.

But I would still hate most to have to deal with Jennifer's.
    Thanks for the laugh, Jennifer, but too bad I will only get one vote, even though I keep adding to this thread.

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my ugly fabric. I hate to do this but, I need to withdraw
    my 1970's fabric entry. I noticed that rule #2 states that it needs to be cotton. This is not only ugly it is
    not cotton. I'm not sure what it is but I bet it melts under an iron.

At this point my vote for ugliest would be Jennifer's. There should be a law against doing that to images of animals.
    Suellen

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Melting it under the iron might be the best way to go with that. Ok, my second choice would have to be Easystitches - probably that bottom one.

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

OMG I just was on ebay and Jennifers barnyard was on there. There are 2 yds going for $3 if anyone is interested time is running out. I thought it was you Jennifer but someone in KY is trying ot get rid of it too! LOL

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Sue Ellen and Marti -- now THOSE are some ugly fabrics!!!! I was really starting to worry about myself when I couldn't find anything I really hated. But you two have saved me!!! LOL.

Marti -- since that was foisted on you I think I would just foist it right into the trash! I've done that with food. I know it's bad but my DMIL was given some tasty but fattening food and she tried giving it to ME. I was like "We don't eat that stuff!" But she INSISTED. "Take it, just take it..." So I stopped arguing and took it home and dropped it straight in the trash. Everyone was happy...

• maryliz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Last call for "ugly" fabrics. Voting begins Mon Jul 16.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County