SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Can I fit 2 bedrooms & a 3/4 bath in space 31.5 x 13?

julieste
9 years ago

I am wondering about trying to reconfigure space to add a master bath. Our bedrooms (three regular and one illegal because it doesn't have a closet) are on the second floor. Our house is in an older neighborhood of 400K to 800K houses from the teens to the thirties; we are somewhere in the middle of that price range. Our main level has a lot of the very desirable bells and whistles and also is larger than the second floor because of several one level jut outs or additions.

As with most 100 year old houses, there is just one small bath on the second floor (we've got a powder room on the main and a 3/4 bath in the basement). Now that our kids are grown, it is just my husband and me so the one small bath on the second floor is fine for the two of us. I've always wondered about the idea of adding a second bath to make a master suite. But, without putting on a costly addition to the second floor by building on top of one of the first floor spaces, there are not many choices or much space to do this.

The house is kind of a four square with a bedroom in each corner. The set up is that across the front of the house there are two bedrooms (one 12' by almost 13' and the other 15 3/4' by almost 13') separated by a 44" section comprised of a linen closet off the hall and a closet for each room. The total space for these two bedrooms and the 44" wall space is about 31. 5 by nearly 13'

If we removed the dividing closet and linen closet section, is this enough space to reconfigure into a smaller bedroom and a master bedroom with an ensuite 3/4 bath? Of course, each bedroom would also need a closet built in.

I have never been a fan of huge, over-sized master baths and would just be looking for a toilet, sink and shower. Right now because of some other issues we have some major work to do in repairs of the existing bath, and, in some ways, it might make sense to rough in an additional bath now if we want to go that route. But, would adding a bath make the existing bedrooms so small that no one would want find this a desirable configuration anyway? We are not thinking of selling now but might in ten years or so.

Or, we can just keep things as they are now and let a future owner who wants a master bath make what would be a costly remodel by adding space on the second floor (there are two very logical spots where additions could sit on top of existing first floor construction).

Thanks for the advice.

Comments (16)