SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeless_in_seattle

Wetlands in Seattle - please help. URGENT!!

Hi,

We are planning on purchasing a house near Seattle which is backed by wetlands.It actually is quite small (this is the heart of the city and all) and is like a marshy, swampy pond. It has a few trees growing in it and some plants.I am not even sure it is "wetlands" and the seller's agent is taking her own sweet time to send us papers about it. They don't think much of it actually.

I would say the width would be around 10 feet and the length is shared by 3 houses (our house would be one).Maybe about 40-50 feet in length.

The backyard to "our" house would be 7-8 feet of our yard, a slope and then the swampy water of the wetlands.

Now for my questions:

1. What are the chances I should be really wary of mosquitoes?

2. Will the swamp be full of frogs whose croaking can make living really miserable? Year round?

3. Can I build some sort of a river-rock stone wall on my property so as to avoid slipping and falling in the wetlands? Is this against Wetlands rule?

4. Can I build a wrap-around deck for my house which would hang close to the slope leading to the wetlands but would not be built on the buffer zone exactly

5. Will there be small dragonflies and fruitbats and what-nots flying and hovering over us all the time we try to spend a little time outside?

6. Should I be afraid for resale? Right now the Real Estate market is pretty skewed so the fact that this house hasn't sold for some time is no proof of anything. It is a pretty expensive house and both the real estate agents are trying to assure us that the wetlands are actually desirable in Seattle where the builders are otherwise trying to stack houses on top of each other.

Thanks all.

Comments (25)