SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terriolsen

which variable speed pump do I need?

terriolsen
14 years ago

I have a 15,000-gal 70's era pool that needs a remodel. It currently has a skimmer, main drain, and one return.

Along with the new tile, coping, and plaster I'll be getting it replumbed to replace the copper piping with 2" PVC. We'll be adding another return and a dedicated line for the pool sweep. New skimmer too. There is no spa, just the pool, which is small -- it ranges from 3-1/2 to 8 feet deep, about 78pf.

Anyway, I need help with the equipment. Based on recommendations from installers as well as forum research (and Huskyridor's advice to another!), I'll be getting the Pentair FNS Plus 60sqft DE filter and the 4-circuit EasyTouch, as I do not have a heating system or water features and will only need to control the pump, IntelliBrite lighting and The Pool Cleaner.

I also want to get an Intelliflo pump, but not sure which one. I'm leaning toward the VS but for safey concerns, I'm also considering the VS-SVRS. The VF is too much, so unless I'm heavily swayed in that direction it's just between the two VS models. In looking at the specs for the VS I see that the rpm can be adjusted to 400, whereas the VS-SVRS can only go as low as 1100. From an energy-saving standpoint (esp important in SoCal!), wouldn't running at 400rpm save a lot more than 1100? Would it be smarter to split the main drain so that I can get the VS? Another concern is whether I'm just being paranoid in considering the VS-SVRS as the drain is way down in the 8-ft deep end, esp if its only running at 400rpm, even without a split drain, is it still a danger?

Also, at 400rpm, how many hours would it take to turn over a 15k gal pool? Can you please give me the "formula" to determine that when dealing not with hp pump but with the variable speed pump?

Thanks!

Comments (4)