SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquariuslady

UltraPure UV Ozone + PoolRx (mineral). Ever heard of this combo??

aquariuslady
15 years ago

Hi.

One of the PB we're considering is insisting on a UltraPure UV Ozone generator added to a PoolRX, which is a mineral based purifying process using zinc, silver and copper. I have heard and read on this forum that UV generating ozone is not a very efficient system (the water is not exposed long enough to the UV to actually create an acceptable level of ozone) and that you need to add chlorine anyways. My PB assures us we can replace the additonal chlorine needed with this mineral combination. It presents itself in forms of tablets that you place in a basket in the skimmers.

Has anyone heard of this before?

I was leaning towards a SWG system but he argues this is cheaper and healthier. I am also worried about the health implication of ozone in the water...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)

• njfolks
    15 years ago

Hi Aquariuslady--

I am not industry expert, in fact I don't even own a pool yet. I am considering the different equipment items I want included in the contract, therefore, I am also looking at sanitizing systems. There is another thread where some of us are exploring various types of UV systems. I am not familiar with the brands you mentioned, however, I have an interest in learning more about theses systems so I hope you will continue to share what you are learning. One thing I did do was read-up on the one "mineral sanitizer" that I have seen called the "Pool Frog", various models including the XL Pro. I will have to go back and check this, but I believe in one of the pages on the website it talked about what was in the "minerals" and it mentioned SILVER. ***This is of concern since I have read that silver and copper can lead to staining if they fall out of solution. ***Today in reading the DEL Ozone company's website it mentioned that Ozone would work well in coordination with other sanitizers --except ones with silver. I don't know if anyone more experienced can weigh in on this if they are familiar with these products. You may want to ask what is in the PoolRX and then check to make sure it is OK to work in connection with the UltraPure UV Ozone generator. Your combination maybe OK, or it may be that putting in silver in the powdered form? is OK, but creating it with an ionizing copper/silver system is not. Not sure about any of this. If you have the time to check this out, again, please share.

• aquariuslady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

njfolks,
    Thanks for your input. I will certainly continue to share my findings here but so far, we've only been offered this solution by one PB and he was saying it's brand new concept and being introduced by them only in the US. Not something that makes me feel good, don;t want to be a guinea pig for them, really! But worth investigating so yes, let's continnue this thread...

• dlzc_aol_com
    15 years ago

Hello aquariuslady,

If you are worried about what ozone might make in your water, then you should worry just as much about what chlorine or bromine (or metal ion systems) should make in your water. All have documented problems, and most worrisome compounds require that you drink, inhale, or open your eyes for extended periods while underwater.

Press your local rep for his recommendation, and see what guarantees he offers. All you will get here are opinions of people that are not you, and will not do more than comiserate with you if it does not work. It is not their money. I would bet that your local representative has local installed systems, owners that you could talk to about their staisfaction... even try a dip in their pool / spa.

Note that UV ozone systems do not make ozone by passing water through the UV system. They make ozone by passing *air* through them, then allowing the ozone to dissolve in the water. They are adequate for spas, not for pools.

My two cents.

• PRO
    UltraPure Water Quality, Inc
    14 years ago

Hello Aquariuslady,

I don't know if you've had your pool built by this point or not, but using an UltraPure Ozone Generator in combination with minerals is something that we have promoted for years with our 'Menu Management' approach.

Let me explain a little about OUR Ozone system (it differs from most of our competitors). We manufacture our UV Ozone generators to install on the suction side of the pool pump. We pioneered this installation method years ago for the following reasons:

1. This is the highest pressure point of the pool's hydraulic system, ensuring that the Ozone is forced into the water.

2. By injecting the Ozone before the pump impeller, the bubbles are broken down to further increase their absorption into the water.

3. This method introduces the Ozone before the filter thereby using the filter as a reaction chamber giving more time for the 'live' Ozone to do it's oxidation job. This also degreases the filter in the process.

4. Most of the 'Ozone' bubbles you see at the pool returns will have reverted back to Oxygen by this point.

Some of our competitors still use the 'pressure-side' venturi injection method to deliver the Ozone, which has none of the benefits listed above and very little absorption or contact time with the water.

Using an UltraPure Ozone generator will reduce your Chlorine usage by between 65 to 80%. The reason you still need to maintain a Chlorine residual in addition to the Ozone is that Ozone is an oxidizer, not a sanitizer. The Ozone frees up the small amount of Chlorine needed to do the sanitation work, as the Ozone performs the oxidation. Also, when the pump is turned off Ozone is not being created to maintain any sort of residual.

To dlcz,

You are partially correct with your comments regarding UV Ozone with the following exceptions:

1. The 'air' passing through the system is Ozone gas, created by ambient air passing over the UV lamp(s).

2. Ozone is very adequate in pools as well as spas. We manufacture both pool and spa units covering a treatment range between 350-800 gallons of water (spa) and 15,000-70,000 gallons of water (pool).

UltraPure Water Quality, Inc. has been in business since 1982 and we are the market leaders in residential ozone generators.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Brian Richardson
    National Service Manager
    UltraPure Water Quality, Inc.
    877-281-7603 ext. 237

Here is a link that might be useful: UltraPure Water Quality, Inc.

• renovxpt
    14 years ago

Brian, this is blatant spam. You need to read the agreement you signed before posting on this site. They sell advertising on this site and there are many professionals that could benifit by spamming the site but choose to maintain the integrity of their agreement.

• renovxpt
    14 years ago

Womanowned, this is an obvious spam attack. You dug up a thread that was close to a year old and this one is 9+ months old. Its very obvious you and Brian are trying to promote a product. You both should be ashamed.

As it turns out, I have been a big fan of ozone for 25 years and dealt with many manufacturers. Quite often you can get a good feel for the bad eggs in the business by the way they market their product.

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

Yeah pumps really like air going into them all of the time, especially chemically treated air, It has to be great for the impeller, seals, and plastics. Filters like being full of air all the time, so that the sand bed can partially be out of the water decreasing your overall square footage, the problem is even worse with cartridge filters.

No thanks, I'll stick to my pressure side venturi driven ozone systems that use mixing valves, that actually produce a reasonable amount of o3 instead of these fancy boxes with a light bulb in them that typically hang on the wall burnt out after 2 years.

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

Err I meant mixing chambers

• topfiftybuilder
    14 years ago

Hows it a spam attack.... everything said in that post is 100% true... I personally have an Ultra Pure on my own pool .. and install hundreds a year..... with a salt & a mineral cart.... corona discharge is NOT as effective as UV sterilization.... The Delzone website reads like fiction... everything they tell you it doesn't and won't do it does......

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

How is a higher concentration of o3 not as effective? Ozone is ozone once created no matter how its created. How could the "less effective" CD units be "less effective" when they put out higher concentrations of ozone?

UV sterilization is typically referred to a UV bulb in direct contact with the water which is a different beast all together.

• airborne101
    14 years ago

brians message is not spam but is against the terms of service, you may not advertise or solicit business in posts on the gardenweb. hit contact and report it. to dig up a year old post to hype your product is sad actually, this forum is to help and inform people, not to make $.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

I'd have to agree on the SPAMMING by Brian.

He should have highlighted on the attributes of ozone systems and left out the link to his employer and their contact information.

IMO, the info he posted was very good for the members but the manner in which he presented it converted his reply to SPAM.

Brian, if you come in here and pass out good info the membership will come to you. You don't have to refer to yourself or your employer to gain loyalty from the members.

I've been in this and other forums for many years and have found that they will seek you out for business.
    FYI, I got kicked off this site on my old name "huskyrider" just for having an e-mail address.
    I didn't consider it SPAM but the administration did, and I promise you I didn't promote my organization on any of the threads.

I'll tell you what would be AWESOME, give us your thoughts about using sodium bromide in conjunction with an ozonator.
    There's another thread in the forum where I made mention of this type of system. Another very knowledgeable member pointed out some info I was totally unaware of. I'm sure that you'll be intimate with this and would love to see your input on the pro's and con's of this setup.
    I think Ginahoust was the original poster and it's titled ozone and mineral elements or something like that.

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll make very good addition to the board. I'm certain that your familiar with all aspects of ozone generation. I look forward to your replies.

See ya,
    Kelly