SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristinekr

sticker shock--and opinions are wall art--photography vs painting

kristinekr
12 years ago

I was just curious to hear your thoughts on wall art and the amount you would spend.

I recently decided that I wanted to put a very large pic of a horse on my dining rooom wall. Initially, I was thinking of an abstract type--maybe a canvas of Marta Gottfrieds's Lepa Zena.

I searched Houzz for some ideas and found this huge black and white photography and loved it--the picture shown is not my favorite, but when I looked at the photographer's website, I saw some that I absolutely LOVED!!! I emailed for prices. I was thinking that maybe on the high side, a large print would be up to $2000. $2000 would be way out of budget, but I thought maybe in this economy the photographer would be willing to work with me on price. I am very naive--a 32x48 starts at $12,000!

contemporary family room design by seattle interior designer Garret Cord Werner

So, that ends that idea!

Then I started thinking. Why would it be so much? I am not at all devaluing the talent required to take such amazing pictures--they really speak to me--I think they are absolutely stunning! But, unlike an original painting, sculpture, ect each photographic image can be sold over and over. Once an original painting is sold, the prints are much much less expensive--most of the time less than $100.

Before I even found out the price, I also was wondering if I wanted a photograph on my wall that was not personal--either of my family, one I took, ect. Maybe I feel this way as I can take photographs (not stunning ones), and I think with practice and the right camera I could be a decent amateur photographer, but I could never never paint as I just don't have any talent in that area at all.

For example, I think the very trendy photographic letters are very cool. But, I am taking my own images from around my home and travels to spell our last name. My images are not at all as good as the ones by professionals, but my images will be much more meaningful--I took them and they are from my home or travels.

So I guess, after all that rambling, I am curious--which do you prefer for wall art that you did not create--photography or a painting? And what prices do you think are reasonable.

I was trying to put it in perspective. We recently spent $2500 on leather family room furniture. We know that we will replace it in 5 or so years. So why would spending that much on art be so foreign to me (forget the $12,000!).

My engagement ring was very expensive--but I would never spend as much on art as my ring.

anyway, I guess I need to start practicing more with my camera so when we visit Assateague Island I can get my own stunning wild horse image LOL!!!

Comments (25)