SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirkyquercus_gw

Is a gas oven/range better for resale value than electric?

quirkyquercus
17 years ago

Hi folks,

When I moved into this house a couple of years ago (new constr) I didn't have any say in the kitchen appliances. They were not bottom of the line appliances so I was just thrilled about that. The oven/range is gas. Everywhere else I've lived has been electric. With an electric range you can heat a gallon of water to a rapid boil in 10 minutes. With this range you can't bring a gallon of water to a boil... at all! The oven takes about 20 minutes to preheat to 450, which is about twice the time as the electric ovens I've owned.

I don't know if this is typical for gas ovens but I had a few different repairmen come out and all told me the thing was functioning as it should. The burners are 9k BTU I believe and apparently that is just not powerful enough to boil a gallon of water. (so what good is it then?)

To make matters worse I get a separate gas bill every month in the range of $25 just to power this oven! This is the south and I think most of us are stuck with electric heat pumps.

Anyway, I've been saying for quite some time that I would like to take out the gas oven and put in an electric. But I know that a lot of people think gas ovens are more desirable. I would have to get an electrician in to add a special outlet there for the electric oven. I think I'd be happier with an electric oven and to not have a separate gas bill to worry about would be nice also but I don't want to sacrifice resale value. What do you think?

Comments (45)

• lyfia
    17 years ago

I personally prefer electric, as I've never learned to cook with well with gas, usually to hot so I either burn or don't get it to heat at all. However we have gas in the rental house and it boils water faster than my electric does.

I definetly don't like a gas oven at all. It doesn't do as good of a job as my electric ovens. I think looking at the kitchen forum and cooking forum that most have electric ovens with gas cooktops. Dual fuel.

If electric is common in your area for a stove then I can't see how it would hurt re-sale.

• Related Discussions

Bosch- Gas oven or Electric oven ???

Q

Comments (4)
    Ok when do I get to heaven then? That's OK I am very happy to stay here on earth...anyway... I have the Dual fuel range which is gas cook top electric convection oven. So far the oven has worked well and the convection is fast. It makes great crispy dog treats. Not sure you can get convection with separate heating and fan with a gas oven. I read somewhere that gas produces a moister heat than electric. I don't know what this means to food but maybe you might get slightly better roasting with dryer heat. I grew up with electric stoves and ovens. Then experienced gas. I think you can control the heat better with electric. The gas flame just tends to flare the heat all over the place increasing the temperature of the kitchen in the process. ...just my thoughts and observation.
    ...See More

baked and roasted - better in gas or electric?

Q

Comments (32)
    caliloo - Do you have Craigslist in your area? When we first started the remodel I got a JennAir Dual Fuel Slide-In Range (JDS8860BDP). I hated it so I sold it for a lot less then I paid for it on Craigslist. It was only a few months old but I didn't like the different BTU burners. I wanted them all the same like on the Wolf. And talk about being a rocket scientist, you had to be to use the control panel. It had so many features that I would never use. All I wanted was a simple bake, broil and convection like I have now. I don't need nor want all those other features. And I had heard bad things, after I got it, about how the computer in the control panel keeps failing and has to be replaced several times costing hundreds of dollars. Maybe they fixed that. Plus ours was built crooked and the door didn't hang right. We didn't notice till it was being installed. It was a disaster. The cabinets had to be removed and reinstalled and extra trim pieces added. And it stuck out into the room 7 inches because of the curved front. Like I said, I hated it! So do your research and read everything you can about all the ranges out there. Check out both the Kitchen and Appliances forums and use the search box to get more information on any range you are looking at. Good luck. Clare
    ...See More

Which is A Better Look: Slide-in Range or Undercab Oven?

Q

Comments (16)
    It would depend on the way you use your kitchen. In ours, DH uses the cooktop, I bake. By separating the cooktop and the oven, it gives us the option of using the kitchen at the same time without "getting in each others kitchen", so to speak. He has all his pots and pans underneath as well as cooking utensils, OTOH, I have all my baking needs near the oven. We don't have to cross paths. We also didn't want to give up countertop space for a wall oven. Besides, I used to have one and was burning my arms over and over reaching into it. I haven't yet been burned in 2 years in the under the counter oven.
    ...See More

Gas vs electric ranges--had never considered electric, but now...

Q

Comments (43)
    Another take on the induction question with a little sprinkle of humor. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/induction-cooking-emf-magnitude-vs-other-things-missus-is-a-bit-concerned/  Tim says, Ugh... If she's worried about cancer... dump her now? There's no convincing someone like that, to understand statistics and significance. At least that I've heard of. If you're looking for the opinion of an EE, I would gladly give you my opinion on the subject -- if you'd like it in writing, I can even sell your wife a certificate saying as much! Maybe that wouldn't help. I don't know. What are we talking about, anyway? Cooktops aren't always-on. They're either off until turned on, or pulsing infrequently to check if a pot is present. The RMS EMF at the surface is not very large either way, when not actively heating something. When heating, it's only large under the work being heated. EMF drops off rapidly with distance. If your wife is so strange that she finds it enjoyable to read books while laying over the cooktop, I might be concerned, but only for mental health reasons, not for EMF reasons. Or if shoving her head towards a pot that's being heated, I would be more concerned for safety reasons, and then mental health reasons... There are biological effects of EMF, but not at these field strengths. Not by orders of magnitude. The primary effect is simply dumb old heating. Diathermy machines, microwave ovens, and the military's ADS, operate on this mechanism. There is no biological effect beyond heating (obviously, too much heat and you cause burns, but that's not unique to EMF). Strong pulsed fields can induce voltages in neural tissue (transcranial magnetic stimulation), which do have direct neural effects, but these are temporary. Anything that produces fields with too little energy to cause noticeable heating, or pulse peaks strong enough to cause noticeable induction, is completely and utterly inconsequential. Example: ESD can have quite large (peak) EMF, but is over very quickly, and delivers very little energy (on a human scale). (Anyway, sparks are well known to cause people to involuntarily jump or twitch. But again, that's just a neural stimulation thing, nothing more.)
    ...See More
  • cpowers21
    17 years ago

If you would be happier with the electric, I think you should get it done. It's hard to say if buyer's will like gas or electric....they may not even like the color you pick. But that is something that can be replaced easily and not super expensively.

• im2oc4u
    17 years ago

quirky- dual fuel, that's what is good, should have clarified. electric oven with gas cooktop. would yours be attached? or like a drop in stove and sep. oven. I wouldn't go crazy about what fuel something uses. Like i said, i am buying a house that has electric but I bought it anyways knowing i would change it even though the appliance is brand new.

• minet
    17 years ago

I think most cooks like a gas stove because the heat turns off immediately, rather than cooling down like the electric coils do. So you can leave a pot on the burner and not have any residual heat coming into it.

I'd do what makes you happy, and worry about it later. When we were looking for houses we preferred the gas stoves but I don't think an electric one would have turned us off from buying.

And if you put in electric, and you already have the gas piped in, then the buyer can choose which to use.

Are you planning to move in the next few years? I didn't think you were.

• newjerseybt
    17 years ago

I have an all electric stove. I love how easy it is to clean one flat surface. I can clean all 4 electric burners in 60 seconds to a "like new" condition. The one disadvantage is you may have to move a pot to a cool surface if you need to stop a boil-over condition. This takes getting used to.

Gas stoves have many pockets that burned material and grease can stick to. Cleaning gas burners can take an hour or more and most of the time they still feel greasy. The gas jets also require maintenance as the tiny holes plug sometimes.

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Gas all the way for me. The two high-end gas stoves in our house (side by side built ins) really made the kitchen for us. Electric wouldn't have killed the deal though. An electric and gas hook-up would be a perk for many. The new buyers would then have a choice.

• pkguy
    17 years ago

While I prefer electric it wouldn't bother me if the house I liked and was going to purchase had a gas stove. Even better if both options were there. Around here free standing fridges and stoves aren't included in the sale unless the purchaser asks for it to be included and the seller agrees, they negotiate it into the price or sell them separately. When we bought last November they weren't included but at the final draw where our offer went up and they wouldn't come down anymore I said ok it's a deal then if you leave the fridge and stove behind and they did.

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

I agree that the presence of both fuel sources it a tiny bit of a plus.

Know this, that a really decent gas stove w/ a power burner (mine is 12,500 btu's and boils a big pot of water in 10 minutes) costs less than $1,000. I got mine from a discount place for $600.

Which means, it's cheap to get yourself a gas stove that will work much better than the one you have now;

OR

it'll be cheap for a buyer to get a new gas stove if you choose electric bcs you're used to it. (if you thought it would be a hindrance to a sale, you could offer to buy them a new one!)

• triciae
    17 years ago

The preferred combination for many homecooks is gas burners & electric oven (known as "duel fuel").

Your 9,000 BTU is ridiculously low. I'm surprised that's all it has. I have a Kenmore Gas-on-Glass, Duel-Fuel range & even my "regular" burner is 12,500 BTU. My high output burner is 17,000 BTU. My simmer burner is 5,000 BTU. The high end ranges have burners in the 22,000 BTU range.

As far as the oven goes...it takes most ALL ovens a solid 30 minutes to properly heat to 500 degrees. Those little bells are notoriously incorrect. I preheat for 45 minutes at 500 degrees before putting in a homemade pizza, for example. It takes the extra time to properly preheat the pizza stone.

So, it depends on whether a potential buyer is a cook or just sometimes heats a can of soup with the stove. Our propane costs for the burners averages about $9/month.

Gas ovens notoriously have a less than optimum self-cleaning cycle, as well. That's one of the reasons why cooks prefer the duel-fuel although there are baking/roasting differences as well.

If I were looking at your home, I'd plan on having to spend $4,000-$10,000 to replace your range. The lower amount gets you a Kenmore Elite Duel-Fuel & the higher amount gets you something like a Viking or Wolf (well, they might be a bit more now).

Most all home hobbyist cooks prefer gas stovetop over electric. Reason: instant control & higher output. There's a reason you don't see electric stoves in restaurants.

Tricia

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

Tricia, you might not even be LOOKING AT his home, if you're the sort of person who's willing to spend $4,000 or $10,000 on a stove.

• pooks1976
    17 years ago

Wow, I thought I'd be the only one who actually preferred to cook with electric after using both. I never could get gas to work as well for me and I kept turning the dial the wrong way and instead of turning the stove off, the flame shut off and the gas kept coming out. After doing that too many times, I switched back to electric.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the replies so far I appreciate it.
    I'm looking to replace the builder supplied oven/range with something better. A couple of years ago when I first noticed the problem I looked at a jenn air or one of those for about $1500 and the burners were the same output! There isn't room with the kitchen layout to put one of those big fancy schmancy ones like in the expo catalog maybe in my next life.
    I see sears has a jenn aire cook top electric with a separate grill. That looks very very very cool. Will have to check that out.

According to the gas company I'm only using $1 or so of gas each month and the rest is the service charge. Saving $25 a month can buy a nice oven in a hurry.

I called a propane company and they said I can convert the existing oven to propane and buy or lease one of those big tanks but what a pain and not cheap. Might as well just get electric and of course the gas lines will be there if someone wants to reconnect to the city.

And no, I don't have any plans to move but you never know.

I don't cook anything fancy either I hate cooking so the less time I have to waste heating up the oven the better.

I do make pasta and hot dogs on the stove, requires boiling a lot of water so can't be done with current setup.

• triciae
    17 years ago

talley sue nyc,

I'm a home hobbyist cook. I have a Kenmore Elite range...they've replaced the range I purchased 4 years ago with what's now called the Kenmore Pro & it's almost $4K. It's NOT considered a "high-end" range! It's mid-range.

Cooking is a passion for me coming in just below my love for gardening & my piano. It's a form of expression & creativity that I very much enjoy. So, a range that has the capabilities to allow me to progress with my cooking skills is important for me. To someone who is not a hobbyist cook...a range is of considerably less importance. I would do without other features in a home before I would be without a quality range so things even out. For instance, I'd take a pass on hardwood floors long before I'd purchase a lower performing range.

This is just one of a million reasons why selling a home is so arbitrary as to what sells & what doesn't. Everybody has different priorities. I don't care if I have jets in the bathtub but that range really matters to me. The OP asked about performance difference between electric & gas ranges & whether one was better for resale than the other. The OP also noted that their's was not a lower-end range. I believe that 9,000 maximum BTU from a "mid-range" stove is below par. And, if a buyer is like me...it's a no-brainer...gas is better than electric. The reason the OP has trouble boiling water is not because it's gas. It's because it's a lower-range stove.

Tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the range Sears has replaced the one I bought with...

• sparksals
    17 years ago

QQ - I always had electric until we built our house and put in a GE Gas range. The builder spec was an el cheapo and I upgraded that and the dishwasher. Builder specs are not always the best quality, but what company will give them the best deal. I was appalled the standard dishwasher was like one from the 80's, so we paid extra for the upgrade.

I have to think there's something wrong with your range - either that or are you at a high altitude? Things take longer to cook at higher levels.

Our gas range was installed incorrectly. The air baffle was set to propane instead of gas and when we first used it, it took a long time to heat up, which I attributed to the high altitude. When it became evident to me that it was taking too long, I called the warranty dept and they sent out a tech. Turns out, they discovered the incorrect setting and it was sending out a hugely dangerous amount of Carbon Monoxide. It was switched back and it worked fine.

I suggest you have a tech come out again to make sure that it is correctly set. The symptoms you described sounds exactly like what we had with our gas range when it was installed incorrectly.

Once it was set up properly, it heated up like a charm and things cooked alot quicker.

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

I'm sorry--when you can get a range like mine for $600 (big, quick-heating oven; power burner, simmer burner, plenty of electronic options), then a $4,000 range IS TOO "high end."

It may not be the highest end possible. But $4,000 is high-end.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

I've cooked with both and prefer electric. Having said that, I wouldn't change the stove if you're not sure if you're even selling. You need to do what's best for you now, whether it's putting in a better gas stove or changing to electric because you don't like having 2 bills. You can't predict what someone else will like, so make yourself happy.

Have you priced changing from gas to electric?

• triciae
    17 years ago

Sue, you should pay a visit to the "Appliance Forum" just for grins. My Kenmore would be sneared upon!

I checked Sears.com & this Amana was their cheapest gas range at $699.00. It's only got 5,000 BTU's, a simmer burner that "might" melt butter, no convection bake, & is not even self-cleaning.

I believe that if you look around you will find that the mid-range stoves are between $2,500 - $6,500. By mid-range, I'm referring to performance NOT PRICE. If you have a range that only cost $600 & has the performance of a mid-range stove please let me know what make & model it is? I know many home hobbyist cooks who'd love to have one.

Tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Amana Range at Sears.com

• sparksals
    17 years ago

Tricia,

Alot of people don't consider what you do to be a midrange stove. Many people cannot afford btwn $2500 and $6500 for a oven/stove. Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on one.

What one would consider midrange has many factors. We chose a GE, not Profile, that worked very well for us and it was less than $1000. I wouldn't consider that stove low end. It performed well, had varied burners for different functions ande served our purposes.

The average person doesn't need high levels of BTU's. Heck, some people don't even know what BTU's are! They just want a range that cooks their food.

I personally wanted a self clean oven with digital timer/temp, etc. I got that in my GE and I was more than happy with it.

Perhaps I take exception with the term mid-range because it implies anything less expensive than your price range is low end, when that really isn't the case.

Below is a link to the GE range we had. Right now, at the GE site, it's $849.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Gas Range

• western_pa_luann
    17 years ago

I too have had both... and DH and I opted to cap off our gas line and put in an electric stove. We just like it better.

The option is still there if someone wants gas down the road... but for us, we prefer electric.

And $4000 is way more than I would ever pay for a stove - gas or electric!
    But we all have our particular wants... Ours are audio equipment and original art - people would think we spent too much on those!

• pkguy
    17 years ago

It's interesting that in CR for the last few years and still many times, the lowly electric coil stoves always seem to come up as being the fastest to bring water to a boil, certainly over gas models and usually excel at simmering again better than gas or the pricier electrics.

• jojoco
    17 years ago

I prefer a gas stove because it is more responsive. If I want to lower the heat, I can--instantly. With an electric range, the response time is slower, and the burner stays dangerously hot afterwards.
    Mine is a Bluestar, and I couldn't be happier with it. It has two 22K burners and boils a big pot of water fairly quickly.
    Don't go to the appliance forum! Posters get very passionate about their choices.
    Jo

• jy_md
    17 years ago

We replaced our barely working electric cooktop with an induction cooktop. The house has a gasline (gas furnace and water heater) but no gas hookup in the kitchen (?). We went back and forth on the gas/electric question. I prefer gas but DH prefer electric, so we settled on induction. Induction was definitely the expensive solution for us - we were considering a budget of about $900. We got the Kenmore cooktop for about $1300 (on sale).

FWIW, if I were you, I'd switch to electric (because that's your preference) but leave the gas hookup (just cap it). That way, you and the next owner have choices.

As for cost, anything over $5000 would be high-end for me. We will have to replace the double wall oven in the future. I expect that will cost us about $2000 (hopefully less than that). So I can see how "midrange" can reach $4000 for stove and wall oven. OTOH, when we bought a new range in our old house (all electric, smooth cooktop) I'm pretty sure we didn't spend over $1000 and I felt THAT was midrange. There's a reason why we're not replacing both cooktop and wall oven simultaneously - it's a lot of money for us.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the continued responses.
    In my last house I put in really nice appliances (Except the stove, didn't do anything with that then turned out to sell the house shortly after so it was a waste but oh well. I had a taste of the good life for a while even though I had problems with the frige and sent one of them back for replacement.

As for performance, I get bettter performance on a $9. camping stove that sits atop those small propane cylinders. That is what I use when I need to make pasta or hot dogs. I put the camping stove on the patio table and it heats up much quicker. I don't think price is an indicator of performance or quality either. We're essentially trying to improve upon what the cavemen figured out for us. Hot make meat food!

LOL.

And sparksals,
    The techs did check for that. It was a concern of mine and I also have a carbon monoxide detector there just in case. Another reason this gas stuff makes me nervous.

• johnmari
    17 years ago

As long as the gas lines are there, put whatever you want, but when you go to sell note that it's piped for gas. The presence of an electric stove would not keep me from buying the house as long as the gas is there, although I'd definitely be Craigslisting the electric - I hate hate hate electric - and putting in a gas stove. In fact we'd probably look into piping for a gas stove eventually if we bought a house that was electric only. I don't get response to temperature changes worth crap on an electric; I hate having to turn two burners on to be able to drop one pan's heat from a boil to a simmer and not have it take two minutes to get there. I CAN cook on an electric, since I was raised with and was also taught at culinary school the philosophy that a truly good cook can turn out a good meal from pantry scrapings on a camp stove, All-Clad pots and a multi-thousand-dollar stove are luxuries.

BTW - I'm an ex-professional cook and ADORE my $750ish Frigidaire gas stove (model FGFL87DS, a Lowes-exclusive version of a more expensive model). It'll bring a pasta pot of water to a boil on the 16k burner in under 10 minutes, haven't timed it exactly but it's good and fast - I set the timer for 10 minutes, go away and do something else, and come back when it beeps to a pot at a good hard boil. Love the low-heat burner for scrambled eggs especially, which I used to have to make over a double boiler to get the consistency I like. Oven works beautifully. And OMG it's even *gasp* white! How unfashionable! LOL We were limited by a small budget (and appropriateness for a modest house, a $4000 pro-style stove would look beyond stupid) but were really thrilled by what we got - it's a helluva stove for the money.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is actually the only explanation I've ever heard RE why some insist on gas equipment that actually made sense. And I understand now.

If you buy a $5000 range and use it only 3 times a week for 10 years before it dies, assuming it the fuel was a nominal cost and it never needs repair, that comes to about $3.20 per meal. Not too bad if you're feeding 6 or more mouths.
    then again if you consider the opportunity cost of owning such a pricey piece of gear...
    If you took that $5k and put it into highly rated corporate bonds you'd have nearly doubled your money after 10 yrs. So that better be some extremely tasty food.
    I'd consider spending that kind of $ if the oven went to the store and bought the food then came home and cooked it and served it to me.

• piper1014
    16 years ago

Also consider that you'll get a lower rate (per kwh) from the electric company if you go total electric. :) Just remember to let them know if you do.

• jy_md
    16 years ago

Also consider that you'll get a lower rate (per kwh) from the electric company if you go total electric. :) Just remember to let them know if you do.

I've never heard of this. Maybe it's limited to certain states/electric companies? Where I live, electricity rates are set to go up by 50% this year so gas would look more attractive (not that it's cheap but it will be cheapER).

• triciae
    16 years ago

Sparksal, I continually referred to "home HOBBYIST cooks". That means that to us the stove is more than something to boil water on. I also have cookware that most people don't. Same as some people spend a lot of money on golf or ski equipment because that's THEIR hobby or take expensive European vacations. I skimped in other areas in order to have my stove. I don't put people down because they choose to spend money on hardwood floors? And, this forum certainly implies that carpet is less quality than the hardwood. Why are you so uptight over a stove?

Tricia

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

"Also consider that you'll get a lower rate (per kwh) from the electric company if you go total electric. :) Just remember to let them know if you do."

I've asked... and that is NOT the case here!

• muddbelly
    16 years ago

We had the 40" Kenmore Elite with 5 burners and 2 ovens including a convection that we liked well. Looked almost as good as the 4-5K pro series, but cost less than half. You may need to adjust your cabinets for a 40" range though.

We now have a different house w/electric smoothtop Jenn aire. Works OK, but we really miss that dual fuel range...it is the same price today as 4 years ago.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02275503000&cat=Cooktops%2C+Ranges+%26+Ovens&subcat=Freestanding+Ranges

• piper1014
    16 years ago

Sorry that some of you don't have this rate category available. Doesn't hurt to check.

"Schedule RE is available to structures where all energy required for water heating, cooking, clothes drying and environmental space conditioning is supplied electrically, and where all energy used in the dwelling is recorded through a single meter."

Neener, neener? ;)

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe we can run an extension cord from your house to mine then?

I like the look of the Wolf and Viking. Yes I have expensive taste. But can't justify the price tag. They don't have electric models anyway. I'm curious to know if those are really all they are are cracked up to be.... the wolfs and vikings as opposed to appliances they sell at sears or lowes. A millionaire contractor once told me when I told him I wanted a Sub Zero fridge that they really weren't too good. They look nice but have problems and are hard to service or get parts for or something like that.

• C Marlin
    16 years ago

I much prefer gas, for the better response time. Serious cooks prefer gas, but you may not sell to a serious cook. My house came with electric, as the previous owner preferred that. My only condition (to my DH) to buy was changing the cooktop to gas. We had to pipe in gas to the kitchen island, then repair the ceilings and hardwood floors, but it was worth it to me. Some people like electric, some like gas. I would go with whatever you prefer.

• susanjn
    16 years ago

mudbelly, please, please, please.....
    don't put long links in the body of the message. It makes it very difficult to read the thread when you have to scroll back and forth. Use the boxes below the message to put in the URL, and a simple name for it. Like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mudbelly's link

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's what I decided on...
    {{!gwi}}

Pending a consultation from an electrician to make sure this can be done.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

Very nice. I hate cleaning and would't have anything else than a smoothtop myself. My last house where I lived the longest came with a coil electric. When it started to die I paid a guy a bunch of money to rig the kitchen for gas and bought a gas stove because they are better for cooking and I had grown up with gas. Well the new gas stoves have really large heavy grills, pans, little ceramic burner things - talk about a cleaning nightmare, the stove always looked absolutely terrible. So when my mother's gas stove died I rented a U-haul, borrowned a dolly and took that sucker over to her house. Then went out and bought myself a smooth top. I'm a rather sloppy impatient cook and tend to cook on high, period. I just lift or slide my pot off the burner when it gets too hot or I'm waiting for it to cool down to the lower temp setting I just set.
    Now that said - you can't win in this sort of deal with resale. Some will like it, some will not. But at least you get to enjoy it in the meantime.

• bethesdamadman
    16 years ago

"According to the gas company I'm only using $1 or so of gas each month and the rest is the service charge. Saving $25 a month can buy a nice oven in a hurry."

That statement alone is reason enough to switch to electric. I, personally, have never seen a house in which only the kitchen had gas, and now you know why. It makes no economic sense whatsoever to pay a $24 service charge for $1 of gas.

On another note, I think that Tricae is getting a bad rap here. All along she has pointed out that her definition of "mid-range" is related to performance and not to price. Morever, she has continually pointed out that cooking for her is more than simply meal preparation; it is her hobby. She hasn't put down lower-priced appliances or maligned anyone in any way. She has merely stated what a hobbyist cook would be looking for in a stove/range when house-hunting.

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"I'm a rather sloppy impatient cook and tend to cook on high, period."

Hey!!! we must have gone to the same cooking school! :-)
    I should be prohibited from pan frying by order of the fire marshall.

I'm open to opinions about the GE profile range that I selected by the way.

As far as Tricae's comment goes, I wanted to find out what is truly high end. I went to EXPO yesterday. The most expensive range they had on the floor in 30" size was about $5500 and was for commercial or commercial-look-alike. I'm not sure there is a difference. The most expensive range they had on the floor, period, any size, was about $10k

They have no freestanding ranges in that store.
    Only slide-in. Just about everything is gas.

I would go with a gas range if it had more powerful burner and electric oven if I owned my own propane tank and had propane burners. That way I wouldn't have a monthly fee.
    They look like a nightmare to clean but for me it would be more of a conversation piece anyway LOL.

since the range doesn't match my fridge, I picked out a stainless fridge to match it for $5500. Maybe I can put it on layaway so some time in my next life I can have it in my kitchen.

• C Marlin
    16 years ago

EXPO had no free standing ranges? I was just at mine on Friday, they had several. Usually the difference between commercial and the look-alike is the closed burners. I bought a beefy free standing range there several years ago, I've since sold that house, but I believe the range was a big selling point for buyers.

BTW, I have a Sub Zero frig, it is fine, but I would not pay for one (it came with the house), now there are many choices for built-in frigs. But they are easy to service, parts are available, they are just much more money than other comparable frigs. We have a GE built-in in another house, I wouldn't buy that one either. I'd probably buy a Kitchenaid, I had one of those in the house with the range that I just sold. Good quality, good price.

• triciae
    16 years ago

Quirky...there's more to life than investing in high-quality bonds. I could also have purchased a bond with the money I spent for my keyboard. How foolish a decision that would have been! I began playing keyboard at four years old & I'm now fifty-seven. The intrinsic value my keyboard has brought me over a lifetime is so much more than dollar cost averaging. At times in my life, it's earned me a living. Other times, it's been there for me when I needed to exprese an emotion & had no words. Other times, it celebrates our birthday parties & Holidays. Truthfully, it's value has no comparable within our portfolio. It's meaning to myself & our family goes far deeper than our brokerage statement. When the day comes I am no longer here...I feel quite certain I will be remembered more for my music, gardening, art, & cooking than for the inheritance my children will enjoy.

You are being short-sighted to view life only in terms of "high-value corporate bond" comparisons.

Also, I must say that I'm disappointed in some of the posts directed specifically to my difinition of stoves/ranges. I try hard not to belittle others' likes/dislikes. I don't understand why some have felt a need to belittle my hobby? Some people spend thousands of dollars on ski equipment, lift tickets, resorts, etc. Would you belittle them as well? I believe it's been rude & uncalled for. And to make financial assumptions about a person based on what stove they choose is just ridiculous.

Bethseda...thank you. You seem to have been the only one who has actually read my posts.

Tricia

• quirkyquercus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I must have missed the posts where people were belittling anyone. Sorry if that happened in my thread and I take full responsibility.

I have a couple of expensive hobbies but even those I cannot justify a lot of the things I would like to have. I'm just saying for the average joe, especially a joe who hates cooking, the $5000 would be better spent on an investment than a range. Obviously for a hobbyist, you'd spend a lot more time and get a lot more enjoyment out of the appliance than me! I'd rather have the money invested. Once again I apologize if anyone in the forum misunderstood that. And furthermore I apologize if anyone took my comments about not liking to cook the wrong way too.

Cmarlin20...
    Judging by your username, I'm going to take a guess that you are in Florida??? I was wondering what they would have in an EXPO in florida since I must assume having lived there a long time, that most people don't have natural gas or LP tanks on account of the overwhelming use of electric heat pumps instead of gas furnaces, water heaters and fireplaces and all of that stuff that you just don't need. I could be way wrong. So if nobody has gas I figured the store must have more electric ranges on display than here. You tell me, what do they have???

And as for Kitchenaid, my parents recently remodeld and put in kitchenaid, they could not regret it more. They've had nothing but problems and so has their friends who also redid their kitchen at the same time. They urged me not to get kitchenaid.

In the past I've had GE profile stuff and been pleased with it. I did get one fridge I had to send back for replacement but the second one worked better and all in all their repair folks came out and were reasonably accommodating.

• HU-892374113
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have had gas and electric ranges over the years, but for the last 30+ I have cooked on electric until I moved and our new condo had a gas range. Everyone was all agog over it and told me I would LOVE the gas range that it was so much better than electric. For the last 20 years before our move, I cooked on smooth top electric ranges and loved them! But everyone kept telling me gas was better. Turns out, I DO NOT love the gas range. It doesn't boil water as fast as my electric one did and seems to take forever to preheat the oven. And I've had a hard time adjusting to the fact that if I don't use hot pads to remove my pans off the stove top, I'll burn my hands. And don't leave your stirring spoon in the pot for more than a second if you don't want to burn off a finger or two. My cookies don't rise -and they're either not done enough or too done, can't get it just right like before. AND the worst part is cleaning it! That's the main reason I switched to a smooth top all those years ago - they take a little getting used to the different cleaning method, but when you learn the tricks, they're a breeze compared to the old coil or this gas behemoth! It takes me a good hour to clean around all the burners and try to be careful not to get cleaner or food down those little slots around the sides. And even using a degreaser detergent, it still looks greasy after going over it several times. Give me my smooth top back! . . . where I can just scrap off the burnt on food with a razor blade - or if there isn't anything burnt on, I can just wipe on a little cleaner and polish it off with a paper towel. When wiping down the countertops with a little dish soap, I can include the stovetop and keep it sparkling clean on a daily basis. I have severe arthritis in my hands and moving those heavy grates off the top and then the cleaning around all the little places is just a little too much for me (not to mention getting gunk off the grates). That is why, after 2 1/2 years of trying to get used to it, I have decided to replace my gas range with a brand new smooth top electric range. People tell me I must be CRAZY because I'm the only person they know who prefers electric over gas. The only thing I will miss is turning off the heat immediately when something boils over. So I will have to get used to moving the pan off again. But it's worth it to me to clean up a boil over on the smooth top vs. the gas burner-cover-slots thing. AND I'll have my wonderful convection oven back and maybe my cookies too!

• sushipup1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

mjulie has posted lots of spam, all somehow posted in the last 30 minutes bt labeled as 10 years ago???? Please flag spam. ETA: spam removed

• mtvhike
    3 years ago

To those who complained about gas ranges, are you talking about natural gas, or propane? Propane has less heating energy than NG. I (actually, my wife) like a gas cooktop and an electric oven.