SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catlover5

Has anyone strayed from their original vision?

catlover5
12 years ago

Has anyone strayed from their original vision? I wanted a kitchen with farm sink, white marble, hardwood floor and white inset cabs with the adorable latch style hardware for my 1940 cape cod cottage. My kitchen is very tiny and the inset cabs were really expensive and since I was wanting to squeeze in a 24 DW (we have no DW), I could not have a 30 in sink base for a farm sink and we are on a budget and well, okay, . . the compromises started.

I did get white painted cabs, not inset, but a lovely shaker style door which I am pleased with that cost 1/3 the inset. I plan on using glass knobs. I got an 18 in DW on clearance (I have white appliances which I prefer) and will trade up to a panel style down the road if I feel the 18 in works with our needs. I was going to settle on a corner sink (and I mean settle as far as my own personal needs/desires . . I don't despise corner sinks at all, I actually like them but in my kitchen you would be blocking the only 2 cabs if you were at the sink and DH is not patient) but the nice GW people here gave me other options/thoughts/suggestions/comments after I found out that there was no way to have the large sink I wanted in the corner hence my ending up with a 27 in sink cab which I decided to keep in front of the window . . . although much advice was given on not keeping it there, I gave it strong consideration but in the end wanted everything in the L so that would not work. The plus is that the DW is next to the sink, which I really, really like. The stove could not be placed on the outside wall because it was too close to the back door, which could not be changed/moved so we are dealing now with how to vent to the outside, again, something we don't have now.

I plan on getting a chrome bridge style faucet and some sort of undermount sink probably Silgranit although I prefer a rectangle sink and the Blanco that will fit is the D style.

It looks like I may be getting the HW floor after all. After we demo'd, we discovered the original pine floor in what appeared to be fine never finished condition (although I am dying from the fumes to clean up the glue) so now we are getting prices on having it redone. That's very exciting to me as DH was totally against a wood floor and I wasn't going to chop up what was there, a neutral 12x12 beige tile, only to put down the same thing but then I found the wood look porcelain tiles and was going to use that. However, now DH is totally onboard with finishing what is there because it's original to the house and he really likes that idea.

So I get back to my original comment . . sorry for being so wordy! In the end, am I going to have my cottage style kitchen? I like old antique vintagey things and for some reason, I feel like I am not ending up with the look I was going for . . . cottage, romantic, vintage style. . . . so has anyone's vision/style changed along the way or did you make the style decisions you wanted and ended up with something totally...

Comments (12)