SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smallkitchen_gw

Is a corner pantry possible for this tiny kitchen?

smallkitchen
15 years ago

This is the current kitchen in the condo that we just bought. We are planning a full kitchen remodel. The dimensions are 8L x 8W x 8H.

The kitchen opens into an adjacent dining area:

Assuming the HOA approvals work out, I am planning to demolish the small dividers separating the dining area from the kitchen, and "bring in" 2 to 3 feet from the dining area to serve as kitchen space. Thus, the expanded kitchen will be 10 to 11' in length. The fridge will be moved outside, in the newly reclaimed space.

I am thinking of putting a step-in corner pantry along the 8' wall that abuts the fridge and tall pantry cabinet (all cabinets are being replaced). There is a window on the pantry cabinet side, that cannot be altered:

My question is: am I being too ambitious in wanting a step-in pantry in such a small space? Would it overwhelm the kitchen? I'd be happy with the smallest size I could get away with. We are only two in our family. I shop once a week. The pantry will be only for food items that I buy in bulk (spices, beans, rice, lentils, grains, honey, etc.) and a small folding step stool. Cleaners, paper towels, etc. will be stored elsewhere.

I have looked at other threads on corner pantries and it seems that 48" x 48" is the smallest that most people have, but they appear to be in kitchens that are larger than mine. Please post pictures of pantries in really tiny kitchens! I really do not like pull-out or cabinet pantries; I want to be able to see everything when I open the door.

Thanks!

Comments (8)