SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

A Last Meal from the Old Kitchen

plllog
15 years ago

I don't know how Caroline manages to get such beauty shots of her gorgeous cooking, but I took a couple of snaps when I wasn't rushing things to the table.

DING DONG the old oven is GONE!!!

Well, not quite. Demo starts a week from Monday. But I don't have to ever cook anything in it ever again.

It was Seder for half the family--sit down dinner for 21, and only three hot items: Lamb roast, yukon gold potatoes, and vegetable kugel. Oh, and matzah ball soup, but I made that, the cake and the cookies, way ahead of time in my mother's kitchen and froze them. Since everything else is packed, I used foil trays and plastic plates and cups, and borrowed my mother's soup kettles and carving set and board, along with a few other things.

You are the only people I know who will appreciate what a challenge this was. My mother's portable oven, and my heirloom hot tray (from my aunt to my mother to me some time ago, and which luckily doesn't fit in a box or would have been long packed and buried) worked fine, as they have since the 1960's.

{{!gwi}}

The potatoes cooked fine in the portable and held nice and hot on the tray with a turkish towel while I warmed the kugel, which I made the day before in the @#@%$@ wall oven. It wouldn't set and I didn't want to burn it, so I had to let it finish by cooling it in the off oven. (For those who don't know, it's a bunch of vegetables glued together with wet matzah and eggs, into a kind of loaf that can be cut like brownies.)

Lilian and Ana (who make all things possible), with the kugel on the hot tray, but they covered it before I could snap.

{{!gwi}}

At half an hour to go the lamb was not anywhere near cooked. I have two thermometers in there. Useless So I turned it up in a panic, and we carved the ends and put the middles back to cook. Sigh. Luckily by the time we cleared the soup and served the main, people had filled up on veggies and olives and soupnuts.

These are the centers of two of the three roasts, finally cooked through.

Can I just tell you? I was up and down like a slinky yo-yo panicking over the meat!! Last time. BYE BYE!!! Don't write! Go away!! Get out of my house, you!

But everyone thought the table was beautiful -- it's amazing what a lot of vegetables and a colorful cloth (rented along with the chairs and half the table) will do for dressing up disposable catering supplies. And they ate!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)