SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kam207

wallpaper

kam207
13 years ago

Would love your thoughts on wallpaper. I am seriously considering wallpapering my upstairs bathroom. I have seen some really cool wallpaper designs lately. thoughts? is wallpaper making a comeback??

Comments (34)

• powermuffin
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is absolutely making a come back. All those big graphic prints are hot. I've seen some great accent walls with wallpaper.

Since I just spent the last couple of years pulling off many, many layers of wallpaper, I won't be putting any on. I still like it though!
    Diane

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

If you like it, use it!

I personally would never have it in my home.

• Related Discussions

Use textured wallpaper to cover old wallpaper I cant remove?

Q

Comments (5)
    Karen: which technique are you doing? Textured wallpaper over old wallpaper? Or one of the others? Rereading my post (after getting some sleep) it reads more like I am asking about texturing with drywall compound (like imitating venetian plaster, or a tuscan stucco look). PLEASE come back and tell me how it went! I have seen the paper bag technique done on home improvement shows. ItÂs actually simpler. Dipping in poly would be very messy and sticky. You adhere the paper with latex glaze or acrylic matte medium. Then cover with the same clear liquid to seal it in before painting. My hesitation with doing that is if someday down the road you didnÂt want such a texture, you could NEVER get it off. The entire room would have to be skimcoated by someone with the skills to get it really flat and smooth. I donÂt think I want to go that route. At least with drywall compound texturing it could be sanded off smooth easily.
    ...See More

Wallpaper over wallpaper?

Q

Comments (6)
    "brickeyee" I appreciate your input about using drywall instead of floor boards. I've wrestled with that idea for a few days now. Here's my problem. The plaster walls are really old with a lot of bows and bulges, I thought the wood product would be stiffer and maybe give me a smoother finish than drywall. I thought the drywall might telegraph the imperfections of the wall. Plus, i have never taped and mudded before and when I mess that up it might look worse then the seams of the wood product. I don't know ? Additionally, I'm doing V-board at the bottom and the top 4 ft. to the ceiling with wood panels. I hope it does not turn into a disaster.
    ...See More

Faux brick wallpaper/other trendy wallpaper

Q

Comments (4)
    "unpasted, washable, strippable vinyl wall paper" means that it is vinyl wallpaper without paste applied on the back by the manufacturer. So you will need to apply the paste yourself, instead of the somewhat easier application process of submerging in water to activate the pre-applied paste.
    ...See More

Wallpaper over vinyl, or wallpaper over paper backing/paste?

Q

Comments (8)
    I don't think I can get the paper wallpaper backing/wallpaper paste to release from the paper coating of the faux wood paneling. They've essentially fused to become one. If I try to remove all of the paper, and clean it, I'm certain I will end up with badly damaged paneling. I really think the only options are paper over paper, or paper over paste. I just need help understanding which is best of these two options.
    ...See More
  • Shannon01
    13 years ago

I have used it in some rooms. Dining wall and and lower half or other three walls, boarders in master bath and kids rooms and bath. It think it depends on the room. My prior house had kitchen papered but my new house does not. Just did not fit the new house.

• kam207
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I was looking at wallpaper with damask print. I've seen it in designer magazines lately, and I'm really liking the look. I do agree- after countless hours of taking down wallpaper in my days, the thought of putting it up seems wrong!

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I love wallpaper, always have. I have it in three of five bedrooms, the kitchen, dining room, library/office, two hallways and two bathrooms. They all have two papers and borders. It all washes easily, even in the kitchen, doesn't fade, the seams are all good. I think it's wonderful. And I hung it all myself.

• kam207
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the input, but judging by the lack of responses, I don't think it's too popular. I was thinking of doing my 1/2 BATH in wallpaper. Maybe a bold damask print. Maybe not.

• rucnmom
    13 years ago

I don't think many posters here use wallpaper. My kitchen and baths are papered. I recently changed my paper. Sure it was a job to get the old stuff off but not too bad. But I love my kitchen paper - a large scale Jacobean print with a rusty red background.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I guess what is coming back is this

and not this (yikes)

Either way , i prefer clean white smooth walls with artwork, tapestry etc instead of wallpaper...

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Here is the link to one of my favorite catalogs, Brocade Home. They are really into wallpaper. I am also drawn to murals lately. I could see one wall in a bathroom with the pink peony mural. The mural is from Stamford Murals. They have some dorky murals circa 1972 and some bold and graphic ones that are fun.
    I have removed many walls of wallpaper in my life. It would either zip right off or became a lesson in patience.
    If you like the look go for it!
    Brocade Home

Brocade RE: wallpaper

Brocade link again....

Here is a link that might be useful: Brocade Home

RE: wallpaper

I love wallpaper, but only paper that are antique reproductions, which can be costly. They are just elegant to me, although I don't have any paper up.

In my previous house I did several rooms that were wallpapered, mostly stripes.

Below is a picture off of a blog.

{{gwi:1693527}}

Wallpaper is absolutely "back".

The choice of quality and pattern is still a little on the slim side if ya ask me. Seems there is a lot more selection at higher price points.

If you hang it right, prep the wall with GARDZ and not some kind of whackadoodle "sizing" or the Shieldz primer crap, it will go up with as little fuss as possible and more importantly - IT WILL COME DOWN with as little fuss as possible.

Lots of times when it comes to paint products, and especially paint colors, there is a range of equally good options to choose from. Not the case with hanging wallpaper.

When it comes to wallpaper if you don't prep the walls with GARDZ you're outta your mind. GARDZ is without question the only way to go about hanging wallpaper and it is unquestionably the right way to do it.

To round out the story, the best product to use to strip wallpaper and remove as much adhesive as possible  is Safe-n-Simple. Not fabric softener, not hot water, not DIF.

GARDZ - wallpaper - safe-n-simple. Any other products makes the whole experience of wallpaper far more complicated than it needs to be and is a complete waste of time and money.

*Specific processes for using those products leaves room for customization and refinement.

**Uber challenging, old wallpaper that is difficult to remove is different discussion.

thanks everyone! If I get the courage to wallpaper my 1/2 bath, I'll be sure to post some pictures. Love the Brocade website- thenks!. I think wallpapering large rooms is out- especially kitchens. However an accent wall, or a small bathroom may be cool. Maybe using the patterns that we are drawn to in pillows, curtains etc. I imagine that its a trendy thing however, so easy-off would be important!

If I had the dough, this is what I would put in my house:

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinoiserie wall papers

Wallpaper never went out for me. I've always used it in my bathrooms and dining room. If I had a large bedroom, I'd use it in there too!

Newdawn, I love rooms like that on the top story of a house where it's all wallpapered!

Kam, if YOU want wallpaper, you should have it. The people on this forum spend days discussing shades of white paint, but there are other forums out there that show and discuss beautiful wallpapers. Google a bit and you'll find them. I did. Don't be put off by pics like the old kitchen above - even that was good in its day, though. And today's paint colors will be out, too, no matter how much thought is put into their selection.

I bet that no one has ever left my wallpapered home and thought "Poor Sherry, wallpaper is so out-of-date!" I bet even the posters here at GW might be surprised!

Another poster (roseabbey, maybe?) has a beautifully papered home. I can hang (and remove!) wallpaper, but I can't post pics or I would. If it's removal you're worrying about, Funcolors is right about Gardz.

Sherry

I'm in the same boat as you. We're in the process of renovating our house (new kitchen, new paint in every room, new roof) but when it comes to our two postage stamp sized 50's tiled black and white bathrooms, I dont want the bother of ripping everything out and redoing it. Wallpaper seems like the perfect solution: I can keep the tile which still looks great, and cover up the white walls, which I hate.

Matter of fact, I came to this forum looking for ideas! I really love that first pic pharaoh posted!

Oak, I like those types rooms too and both of my upstairs bedrms., and bath are sloped like that, but are not papered.

One of my upstairs bedrooms, a plain Jane, but I would jazz it up with turquoise and cream, real frenchy to go with my antique beds. Wish I could afford some country french wallpaper.

....Jane

{{gwi:1693528}}

I just wallpapered an accent wall in my daughter's room-the pix aren't very good but you can get the idea. I have never used wallpaper before because I didn't think I would like it-but I LOVE it!! The room is not complete yet, so please excuse! Also, the second picture would not resize-sorry!

Oh shellfish I love your wallpaper, it is dramatic and subtle as the same time, so very pretty.

Me too, shellfish. Like! A lot!

I used to rent space at a design center and there were all different sizes/footprints you could rent. Some of them had walls. They would rent one of the larger spaces out on a quarterly basis and sometimes would host a "guest" there. Those walls saw A LOT of transition of home dec displays! A lot of paint and also a lot of wallpaper.

The classic patterns will forever be yummy like the chinoi's and Bradbury & Bradbury, etc., but some of the newer patterns I saw cycle through there were GORGEOUS. Actually ended up using a paper in a client's DR; had a custom full spectrum color mixed for the ceiling to go with it. Loved it.

This was a few years back when wallpaper was first seeing a resurgence. We had a hard time finding a pro to hang it because wallpaper was so "out"! It's been slow going and wallpaper still isn't the gang-buster choice over paint, but it is out there if you look.

Shellfish, that's beautiful! Is it from Brocade? Also, I'd venture to say, I think the whole bedroom would look fab papered with that.

Funcolors, what do you mean when you say 'full spectrum paint'? (excuse my ignorance!)

Here are two links. One talks about how full spectrum paint color is different from regular. The other is a resource of buttons to 20 brands of paint. The brands that mix full spectrum color are: Citron, Donald Kaufman and Ellen Kennon.

How Full Spectrum Works

Paint Brand Buttons - Full Spectrum Brands: Citron, Donald Kaufman, Ellen Kennon

I really like that paper shellfish! Thats what I meant by damask papering for my bathroom. Really beautiful. Thanks for posting!

Jane, I'd have a blast picking out wallpaper for that room! I can see small floral print, light and airy.

There are so many beautiful patterns of wallpaper out there, I always feel like I'm in a candy store looking at them!

Come over Oak and help me and I'll even feed you.

I am a wallpaper lover. We will soon be moving into a new (to us) home, and I have plans to use wallpaper in 2 rooms. The dining room will have a goldish/yellowish Damask by Thibaut above the board and batten. The downstairs powder room will have black and white toile. I realize it might not be "hip" but I love it, and that's what it's all about, right?

Yep Nikkia that's what it's all about.

I have never not liked wallpaper. And... I am also one of those people that like to change things around all the time. If you prepare the walls properly and you want to change it later, it will just peel off with very little difficulty. Those that have horrible memories of peeling off tiny snips of paper at a time were peeling it from walls not done correctly.

Shellfish, that is so lovely, it looks hand painted, quite unique.

I wallpapered extensively through the 80's in my homes, I was crazy about it.
    Once I stopped decorating that way, I never looked back.

Quality wallpapers never go out of style, bradbury and the like, Thibeault;
    I think it's the busy florals on 4 walls with matching borders that seem to have fallen out of favor, patterns that box in the room.

Thank you everyone, for the compliments. I did think of papering the whole room but my initial resistance to wallpaper held me back. Now, my budget holds me back-I had to order 3 (dble) rolls just for that one wall because of the pattern. Regardless, I do love it. Here is a link to a better picture of it that I found after I had ordered it. The wallpaper itself came from Romo-Kamini collection.

I think wallpapering a bathroom would be fun-so many beautiful prints out there. My next wallpaper project will either be a small den or powder room. I want to do grasscloth!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1693523}}

I am glad to find this thread.
    I am in the process of stripping old painted wallpaper in my 1920s home. There was paneling on the exterior walls in 2 rooms which I had painted. Now I'm finding out why the former owners put up the paneling - the walls are a mess! Part of me is thinking of shellacing it and telling people its a new pattern called "Archeology". I would love to do a tongue in cheek honoring of the old 1940s(?) wallpaper, and oddly enough that seems to be whats instyle: large large prints very similar to what used to be very small.
    At $75 - $100 and up per roll though...
    Do you find you get sick of it after a while?
    I don't want to spend all that money and in 2 or 3 years yawn over it.
    Thanks!
    Kathy

Sherwin Williams has a new (?) wallpaper product called EasyChange--I've not used it but they offer some very cool patterns!

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Â Â Â Name of the Link: Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Brocade Home

• PRO
    13 years ago

Brocade link again....

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I love wallpaper, but only paper that are antique reproductions, which can be costly. They are just elegant to me, although I don't have any paper up.

In my previous house I did several rooms that were wallpapered, mostly stripes.

Below is a picture off of a blog.

{{gwi:1693527}}

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Wallpaper is absolutely "back".

The choice of quality and pattern is still a little on the slim side if ya ask me. Seems there is a lot more selection at higher price points.

If you hang it right, prep the wall with GARDZ and not some kind of whackadoodle "sizing" or the Shieldz primer crap, it will go up with as little fuss as possible and more importantly - IT WILL COME DOWN with as little fuss as possible.

Lots of times when it comes to paint products, and especially paint colors, there is a range of equally good options to choose from. Not the case with hanging wallpaper.

When it comes to wallpaper if you don't prep the walls with GARDZ you're outta your mind. GARDZ is without question the only way to go about hanging wallpaper and it is unquestionably the right way to do it.

To round out the story, the best product to use to strip wallpaper and remove as much adhesive as possible  is Safe-n-Simple. Not fabric softener, not hot water, not DIF.

GARDZ - wallpaper - safe-n-simple. Any other products makes the whole experience of wallpaper far more complicated than it needs to be and is a complete waste of time and money.

*Specific processes for using those products leaves room for customization and refinement.

**Uber challenging, old wallpaper that is difficult to remove is different discussion.

• kam207
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone! If I get the courage to wallpaper my 1/2 bath, I'll be sure to post some pictures. Love the Brocade website- thenks!. I think wallpapering large rooms is out- especially kitchens. However an accent wall, or a small bathroom may be cool. Maybe using the patterns that we are drawn to in pillows, curtains etc. I imagine that its a trendy thing however, so easy-off would be important!

• sabigabatini
    13 years ago

If I had the dough, this is what I would put in my house:

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Wallpaper never went out for me. I've always used it in my bathrooms and dining room. If I had a large bedroom, I'd use it in there too!

Newdawn, I love rooms like that on the top story of a house where it's all wallpapered!

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Kam, if YOU want wallpaper, you should have it. The people on this forum spend days discussing shades of white paint, but there are other forums out there that show and discuss beautiful wallpapers. Google a bit and you'll find them. I did. Don't be put off by pics like the old kitchen above - even that was good in its day, though. And today's paint colors will be out, too, no matter how much thought is put into their selection.

I bet that no one has ever left my wallpapered home and thought "Poor Sherry, wallpaper is so out-of-date!" I bet even the posters here at GW might be surprised!

Another poster (roseabbey, maybe?) has a beautifully papered home. I can hang (and remove!) wallpaper, but I can't post pics or I would. If it's removal you're worrying about, Funcolors is right about Gardz.

Sherry

• mellfiera
    13 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you. We're in the process of renovating our house (new kitchen, new paint in every room, new roof) but when it comes to our two postage stamp sized 50's tiled black and white bathrooms, I dont want the bother of ripping everything out and redoing it. Wallpaper seems like the perfect solution: I can keep the tile which still looks great, and cover up the white walls, which I hate.

Matter of fact, I came to this forum looking for ideas! I really love that first pic pharaoh posted!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Oak, I like those types rooms too and both of my upstairs bedrms., and bath are sloped like that, but are not papered.

One of my upstairs bedrooms, a plain Jane, but I would jazz it up with turquoise and cream, real frenchy to go with my antique beds. Wish I could afford some country french wallpaper.

....Jane

{{gwi:1693528}}

• shellfish
    13 years ago

I just wallpapered an accent wall in my daughter's room-the pix aren't very good but you can get the idea. I have never used wallpaper before because I didn't think I would like it-but I LOVE it!! The room is not complete yet, so please excuse! Also, the second picture would not resize-sorry!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Oh shellfish I love your wallpaper, it is dramatic and subtle as the same time, so very pretty.

• PRO
    13 years ago

Me too, shellfish. Like! A lot!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

I used to rent space at a design center and there were all different sizes/footprints you could rent. Some of them had walls. They would rent one of the larger spaces out on a quarterly basis and sometimes would host a "guest" there. Those walls saw A LOT of transition of home dec displays! A lot of paint and also a lot of wallpaper.

The classic patterns will forever be yummy like the chinoi's and Bradbury & Bradbury, etc., but some of the newer patterns I saw cycle through there were GORGEOUS. Actually ended up using a paper in a client's DR; had a custom full spectrum color mixed for the ceiling to go with it. Loved it.

This was a few years back when wallpaper was first seeing a resurgence. We had a hard time finding a pro to hang it because wallpaper was so "out"! It's been slow going and wallpaper still isn't the gang-buster choice over paint, but it is out there if you look.

• sabigabatini
    13 years ago

Shellfish, that's beautiful! Is it from Brocade? Also, I'd venture to say, I think the whole bedroom would look fab papered with that.

Funcolors, what do you mean when you say 'full spectrum paint'? (excuse my ignorance!)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Here are two links. One talks about how full spectrum paint color is different from regular. The other is a resource of buttons to 20 brands of paint. The brands that mix full spectrum color are: Citron, Donald Kaufman and Ellen Kennon.

How Full Spectrum Works

Paint Brand Buttons - Full Spectrum Brands: Citron, Donald Kaufman, Ellen Kennon

• kam207
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really like that paper shellfish! Thats what I meant by damask papering for my bathroom. Really beautiful. Thanks for posting!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Jane, I'd have a blast picking out wallpaper for that room! I can see small floral print, light and airy.

There are so many beautiful patterns of wallpaper out there, I always feel like I'm in a candy store looking at them!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Come over Oak and help me and I'll even feed you.

• nikkia2112
    13 years ago

I am a wallpaper lover. We will soon be moving into a new (to us) home, and I have plans to use wallpaper in 2 rooms. The dining room will have a goldish/yellowish Damask by Thibaut above the board and batten. The downstairs powder room will have black and white toile. I realize it might not be "hip" but I love it, and that's what it's all about, right?

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Yep Nikkia that's what it's all about.

• lynn_r_ct
    13 years ago

I have never not liked wallpaper. And... I am also one of those people that like to change things around all the time. If you prepare the walls properly and you want to change it later, it will just peel off with very little difficulty. Those that have horrible memories of peeling off tiny snips of paper at a time were peeling it from walls not done correctly.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

Shellfish, that is so lovely, it looks hand painted, quite unique.

I wallpapered extensively through the 80's in my homes, I was crazy about it.
    Once I stopped decorating that way, I never looked back.

Quality wallpapers never go out of style, bradbury and the like, Thibeault;
    I think it's the busy florals on 4 walls with matching borders that seem to have fallen out of favor, patterns that box in the room.

• shellfish
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone, for the compliments. I did think of papering the whole room but my initial resistance to wallpaper held me back. Now, my budget holds me back-I had to order 3 (dble) rolls just for that one wall because of the pattern. Regardless, I do love it. Here is a link to a better picture of it that I found after I had ordered it. The wallpaper itself came from Romo-Kamini collection.

I think wallpapering a bathroom would be fun-so many beautiful prints out there. My next wallpaper project will either be a small den or powder room. I want to do grasscloth!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I am glad to find this thread.
    I am in the process of stripping old painted wallpaper in my 1920s home. There was paneling on the exterior walls in 2 rooms which I had painted. Now I'm finding out why the former owners put up the paneling - the walls are a mess! Part of me is thinking of shellacing it and telling people its a new pattern called "Archeology". I would love to do a tongue in cheek honoring of the old 1940s(?) wallpaper, and oddly enough that seems to be whats instyle: large large prints very similar to what used to be very small.
    At $75 - $100 and up per roll though...
    Do you find you get sick of it after a while?
    I don't want to spend all that money and in 2 or 3 years yawn over it.
    Thanks!
    Kathy

• catkin
    13 years ago

Sherwin Williams has a new (?) wallpaper product called EasyChange--I've not used it but they offer some very cool patterns!