SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

My daughter Gillian's forget-me-nots

alisande
15 years ago

Many of you have heard this story before, but I think there must be some who haven't. I hope it will give some some comfort to those who have experienced the loss of someone they will always love.

My daughter Gillian died on Memorial Day 2001. She was my partner in the garden, as well as in most other things, and for a long time I couldn't do a thing outdoors. Eventually I forced myself to mow the lawn, but the flower beds quickly yielded to the weeds, and the yard we'd loved assumed an appearance of decay.

Part of the garden is a old well that we had filled with rocks topped with soil. Jill and I planted it every year, and she took special pleasure in that spot of color in the center of a slab of stone. That spot, too reverted to weeds.

Then in the summer of 2003 a forget-me-not plant appeared on the outside of the stone slab. There were no other forget-me-nots in my garden, and our property is surrounded by woods. The plant bloomed, and then fell over toward the well, seeding it. The next spring the well bloomed in bright blue and white. I have no doubt the forget-me-nots and their beautiful message came directly from Jill. I know she wasn't asking me not to forget her, but not to forget the garden and the joy we took in it.

Here's how it looked that first year:

{{gwi:271156}}

And here's how it looked a week ago, after a shower of apple blossom petals.

{{gwi:271157}}

Comments (22)