SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whichstonetopick

Cultured Stone - Which Shape & Color is Best for My House

WhichStonetoPick
11 years ago

Here's my dilemma . . . I need a new roof and I can't find any colors in architectural shingles that would match the brick, siding and trim that I currently have. I uploaded a photo of my house to a design visualizer online and tried many different colors, but everything looks horrible. I tried all shades of browns, grays, multi-colors, etc. I don't know if it will look better in person, than on the computer, but what I saw was not appealing to me. I feel like the brick and dark trim are throwing everything off.

So, I decided maybe I need to change the brick to a more modern looking cultured stone in a neutral color. I've been going back and forth trying to decide which style of cultured stone and color to cover the existing brick.

One day I like Fieldstone, then I like Country Ledgestone, Southern Ledgestone, Drystack . . . there's just too many styles of stone and colors to choose from. Although I like this stone on other houses, I'm afraid of it looking too busy on mine since it's a big space and the focal point of a small house. I'm worried my decision will either make it look better or worse. I don't know if I should choose a dark color like I have now for a contrast or should I go softer and blend it with the siding? I can't decide between the colors of Chardonnay, Bucks County, Walnut, etc.

I've been looking at tons of pictures online, I went to several mason supply places to look at displays, I've driven around my neighborhood . . . but nothing is helping me envision the stone on MY house. There aren't many houses in my neighborhood with my facade to compare it with.

So what do you think about the brick? Would the house look better with some cultured stone? Even though the front of the house looks small, I have a half dormer on the back of the house so it's much higher on the sides and back, so I don't want to go into the expense of changing all of the siding. As you can see, the front has light yellow vertical siding and the sides have matching regular horizontal siding. Maybe I can keep the brick and change the front siding to shakes or something and change the trim and gutters. I'm also thinking of creating a gable to frame the brick/stone so it is set back more. I plan on adding a light fixture above the door.

The steps and retaining wall along the driveway are relatively new, so they are staying. They have crab orchard stone on the top and a mixture of yellowish, beige and light gray Belden bricks.

Here is a picture of my house (eventually I will replace the concrete walkway with pavers).

All comments and suggestions are welcome!! This has become a major headache and obsession for me, so I thought an outsider's unbiased opinion would make it easier for me.

Thank you!!

Comments (18)