SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

Dream and plan with me?

shannonaz
12 years ago

Hello kitchen people :) I haven't posted much since my remodel 6 years ago, but I love this place! Not a day goes by that I do not think of how pleased I am with my kitchen remodel and that is largely due to the collective wisdom of this forum. I still get emails from new members asking questions about my remodel and I love to help in any way I can.

Despite loving our current house and kitchen...we had no choice but to put an offer on another home last night because it is our absolute dream home (Yes, we get a lot of raised eyebrows about what we prefer in homes!) It's an early 60s rambling ranch that has had been owned by the same couple that had the home built 50 years ago. Nothing has been updated but it is in pristine condition. I am not committed to the midcentury aesthetic specifically but I get a thrill out of good design that stands the test of time. There are 3 bathrooms that do not, to our eye, need remodeling or updating!! We do plan to remodel about a third of the house, without moving outside walls. We have a few ideas but I would love to get some of you brilliant design minds to take a peek. I was hoping that I would post the floor plan and my wish list and see what you guys think!

Oh, our offer was accepted this morning; it could still fall through, of course, but I can't wait to start thinking about it and thinking about this might help me generate questions for inspectors, the realtors etc. We have some experience renovating buildings from this era and we are familiar with asbestos abatement etc..and it is causing us to think that we should do the remodel all at once rather than little by little...but that is a question we will be asking in the next few days.

We are most open to moving walls/openings/adding openings or repurposing the garden room, library, living room, dining room and kitchen.

My current wish list (which I a have only been thinking about for 24 hours)

is ordered from most important to my TKO kitchen fantasies BUT with this amount of space I feel like there are a lot of great possibilities I probably havent't thought of!

-Open kitchen/dining/living (I'm looking for ideas from somewhat open to totally open, I also love nooks and crannies, but not closed-off rooms) We routinely host 70+ adults and kids and I can see the door to the library being a bottle-neck...

-View to outdoors, the library window has a great view, the dining room opens up to the back yard, which is nice.

-Room for a huge/expandable dining table (my house will eventually be the holiday dinner house, most of both sides of our family are in town) In my current house I eschew my office and use my laptop and do projects at either my kitchen or dining table. So, I plan to hide office/craft stuff somewhere in the dining room and make that space useful even when we aren't hosting big meals.

-neither cooktop nor sink facing a wall

-Breakfast table -chairs or banquet

-2 dishwashers

-double wall ovens

-full size fridge and freezer

-butlers pantry (I know this is at odds with an open plan but I love tucked-away places)

-wine fridges, bar area

I may think of more but whatever you guys can think of, throw it in there! I would rather scale back than miss some cool thing I haven't thought of...

Thanks for reading my ramblings :)

Comments (3)