SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qofmiwok

Intelliflo with Solar

14 years ago

I read a lot of the posts and many refer to previous explanations of why the Intelliflo VF doesn't work with solar, but I have not yet found that explanation laid out. I was just about to purchase a VF so please advise.

Pool is 10 years old, we bought it 5 years ago. We are in Hawaii and pay 35c a kwh. The pumps are costing over $200/month to run.

Last year we installed solar panels on the 2 story roof. None of the installers were sure how the 1 hp pump would do with that, but in reality the pump still puts out way too much pressure. We're valving it way down to keep it the flow to the panels at a reasonable rate.

The pool is not very big (I think I calculated 13,000 gallons). Depending on the usage it stays clean with 3-4 hours of pumping a day. But of course we prefer to run it longer to optimize the solar gain. We also have a 1/2hp pump for the pool sweep and would like to convert that to the suction side kind to remove that pump.

We have no spa, but in the future we plan to add a water feature. I like the idea of the Intelliflo VF because nobody has to figure out what pump is going to be required to circulate the water, get the solar to the roof, and run the cleaner. The pump essentially sizes itself. Keep in mind that it is practically impossible to get truly knowledgeable pool people here. Their knowledge is very surface but when you delve in there's not much there. So already know more than most of them. So we can't count on external help.

Also, keep in mind that we do not live here all the time. The house is unoccupied or occupied by rentals much of the time. We have a pool guy who comes every 2 weeks to clean.

So... what is the problem with the VF and solar? What pump would you recommend? Intelliflo VS, VF, or something else?

Comments (10)