SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baltomom_gw

Painting cherry cabinets to lighten up kitchen -- long post, sorr

baltomom_gw
12 years ago

Yes, I know I am insane to consider painting my 3 year old Brookstone cherry shaker cabinets, but the alternative is moving! Honestly, my kitchen is so dark that on a bright sunny day I have to keep the lights on at all times. The granite is black and the cabinets are a medium cherry. We just bought this house a few months ago, and already I loathe the kitchen so much I don't want to use it. And I cook all the time, so I spend half my life there.

Has anyone painted cherry (or other finished wood) cabinets, and if you did, how did you do it? Did you do it yourself, or use a painter? Could I have all the doors and drawers removed and professionally painted, and hire someone (or do it myself) to paint the rest of the cabinetry?

One complication: my child has severe allergies, so we have to use low VOC paints -- those beautiful oil-based paints are out, as are all the regular, ie durable, paints.

Another complication: some of the finished sides are laminate as is some of the trim. How do you paint this?

I don't want to live with this kitchen for 20 years, and it's way too expensive to rip it out and start over again. I have nothing against cherry -- I had cherry shaker in my old kitchen, but that kitchen had huge windows and loads of sunshine all day long. My new kitchen is a dark, depressing cave by comparison.

Any suggestions most appreciated. I had no idea the kitchen would be so dark when I bought the house. The realtor had all the lights blazing each time we looked at it, and it never occurred to me to turn them off! I won't make that mistake again. TIA.

Comments (27)